And the latest sunrise this year is ...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
December 22nd? Nope, not the Solstice.

January 2nd? Nope, not quite. *

November 5th! :eek: :confused:

Thanks, Daylight Saving Time! :mad:

* This would be the correct answer (or some time around that date), w/o DST.

Full explanation

Just took a walk in the neighborhood, realizing that tomorrow, sundown will arrive an hour earlier; into the long night we go! Enjoy the gloaming and put on some football, it's gonna get a lot darker in the next month!

Last edited:
Just a reminder, as DST ends soon, the latest sunrise of the year will be 11/5. The earliest sunset will be 12/7.

See above for links to more pedantic discussions.... :D

and if your state actually recognizes artificial time changes

Question:

Does your proximity to the border of a time zone make any difference in sunset time? E.G.: Will sunset be later if you live on the western border of your time zone?

(paging Doug Paul....:!)

cb

Question:

Does your proximity to the border of a time zone make any difference in sunset time? E.G.: Will sunset be later if you live on the western border of your time zone?

cb

I don't think it does, but your distance from the equator (or the poles) does.

Question:

cb
Yes. The sunrise and sunset will be later for a point west of another point.
Conditions:
* Both points must have the latitude (N-S)
* Compare the times in UT (universal time ~ GMT, Greewich Mean Time) so as to use a single clock for the entire planet.
* I don't want to spend the time to try to figure out if there are any special cases, so I will limit the above statement to the zone between the Arctic and Antarctic circles and for short distances (several time zone widths or less) between the two points. (Time zones are nominally 15 degrees longitude wide (approx 1000 miles at the equator).

Note: 360_degrees/24_hrs = 15 deg/hr

Initially, most cities used local solar time (~GMT(in hours) - west_longitude(in degrees)/15). However, this made railroad schedules very confusing, so the railroads instituted time zones in 1883. The new system was only partially adopted until it was enacted into law in 1918. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_time_in_the_United_States

Doug

This all doesn't bother me...I'm in bed by 7pm or so .....I don't have shades ..don't need em here so summer coming is an adjustment for me.. Ha.

Another way to look at it is that "celestial noon" is when the sun is most overhead, i.e. at its highest point above the horizon. It would be confusing if we were all on "celestial" time ... actually, the punctuality of some might not be any different but I digress ... so we have time zones. At the eastern end of the time zone "celestial noon" is earlier than it is at the western end as the earth spins around the "big nail" at the top, that being the description of the north pole by the natives of such regions.

That is why we can find true north with an analog wrist watch (or clock) ... or a digital one if you can mentally envision the analog numbers ... when the sun is at it highest ("celestial noon"), we in the northern hemisphere see the sun as most directly to the south. Knowing the time, a very important fact in any celestial navigation ... the more precise and accurate the time the more precise and accurate the navigation ... leads us to the old trick of pointing the hour hand towards the sun and observing that noon points due south (and 6 due north). The inaccuracy due to the location within a time zone is not enough to effect hikers' navigation as it will, at least, help establish direction towards a landmark such as a river or a road.

I did not try it everywhere on Earth, but it held true for every place I checked in the North East. Since we are NE centric here, it's close enough...
I think the point is that "latest" sunrise inside the arctic circle may have happened much earlier.

Just a friendly reminder that the latest sunrise of the year is ...

NOT the winter solstice,

NOT late December / Early January,

November 3rd.

If you're wondering why this is true (for the NE USA anyway), it's because DST lasts so long now.

The flip side of this is that it will start getting darker 1 hour earlier soon, another consideration for planning a hike.

The first post in this thread has more details...

The flip side of this is that it will start getting darker 1 hour earlier soon, another consideration for planning a hike.

The first post in this thread has more details...

Question: With the change from daylight saving time will most hikes now be an hour shorter or an hour longer?

cb

Question:

cb

As others have already noted, "Yes." Chattanooga sits on the very western edge of the eastern time zone and the sun doesn't set until 9 pm on the summer solstice with full dark around 9:45 pm. Or as Yogi Berra might have said, "It gets late late around here."

The latest sunrise will be somewhere on the Arctic Circle (possibly someplace that does not practice Daylight Savings time), right around the solstice. Hmm, several of the time zones up there are artificially wide. Greenland is widest, but they also practice daylight savings time, while Russia does not.

Technically, the sun only rises (and sets) once per year on the North and South Poles. I will leave it as an exercise for the reader to figure out how early or late this is...

Doug

1991 Spin Doctors lyric:

What time is it?
Four thirty
It's not late, naw, naw,
Just early, early, early

And the answer is... 8:29 AM on Jan 2. That would be here in Mandan, ND 46.8267 N by 100.8896 W at the far edge of the Central Time Zone.
Earliest Sunset 4:55 on Dec 11
Earliest Sunrise 5:49 June 17
Latest Sunset 9:42 June 27