Are snowshoes still needed on the Baldfaces?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reneeapril

Reaction score
We are thinking about heading up to the Baldfaces tomorrow and are wondering how much snow is on the trail/are snowshoes needed? We hiked Rodger's Ledge last Saturday and there was still a fair bit of snow - 3 ft in places!

Thanks!

Thank a lot! I didn't realize that. I'll go somewhere else.

Hi,

I don't know where you are located, but every New England state has Stay at Home orders in effect.

We here in NH would appreciate it if you would follow those orders and STAY AT HOME. Please recreate locally for now and don't put others at risk. The mountains will be there.

Thanks,
ChrisB

Connecticut doesn't have a stay at home order in effect either. Non-essential businesses are closed, and city facilities such as outside basketball courts are closed, but the park system is open. What is asked instead is that people respect social distancing.

But that's neither here nor there because New Hampshire does have one. This is the time to find something local within a couple miles drive, wear a mask, respect social distancing, and remember that the White Mountains will always be there for us.

NH's stay-at-home order specifically allows and encourages outdoor exercise. https://www.concordmonitor.com/New-...-at-home-order-What-you-need-to-know-33562663

A snowmobile trail crosses the Slippery Brook Trail near Chandler Brook. One (perhaps the same) snowmobile trail intersects with the Baldface Knob Trail. Those snowmobile trailheads have not been closed. So if you can find them and don't think it will add too much extra distance, you can use them to access Baldface.

I don't think there are any nearby snowmobile trail heads. Primary corridor 19 meets the trail from Town Hall Rd. just south of the SB trail head. Presumably Town Hall Rd. is gated at the lot. Don't know if the lot is open. The hike from that lot is at least several miles in each direction to get to the SB trail head. The only other snowmobile trail head that I am aware of to the east is at The Basin on 113, which is a closed lot.

Connecticut doesn't have a stay at home order in effect either. Non-essential businesses are closed, and city facilities such as outside basketball courts are closed, but the park system is open. .

https://portal.ct.gov/Office-of-the...onnecticut-Businesses-and-Residents-Stay-Safe

Uh, yes we do. I think a lot of people are confusing a "stay at home" order versus a "shelter in place" order. And there is also a lot of ambiguity with "urging" these actions and "requiring" them. At least in CT, our stay at home order does not literally prohibit you from leaving your house.

That's correct according to https://portal.ct.gov/Office-of-the...onnecticut-Businesses-and-Residents-Stay-Safe . The CT order specifically allows people to go outdoors for recreation.

Executive Order is titled "Governor Lamont Signs Executive Order Asking Connecticut Businesses and Residents: ‘Stay Safe, Stay Home’". I'm no legal expert but that kind of sounds like a stay at home order. And to again state - a "stay at home" order does not literally mean stay at your home. There are a variety of acceptable activities listed in the executive order for CT as you point out. The most interesting of which to me is that there is no specific clause indicating you must stay local.

Last edited: