The latest sunrise date and time (in the NE) is ...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Ok, no references allowed!

Any guesses?

BikeHike and LordMarc are excluded from answering, as I used them for Guinea Pigs. :D

Hint: Your first thought is probably incorrect.

Not entirely sure I understand what you are asking. Obviously, the sun came up today so the date of the latest sunrise would be 11/22/09. Are you trying to trick us with a question about the TIME of the sunrise. Generally, it is light out for a good little bit before the official sunrise ...

So going back to several days ago when I drove up to Vermont ... let's see, I crossed the NY/VT border at 6:07 AM and it was still dark. Probably started to get bright out within 15 minutes or so. So let's say first light was at 6:22 AM. Add about 40 minutes on until the official sunrise. 7:00 AMish?

So I'll say 11/22/09 at 7:00 AM. Sure it's probably wrong but it at least gets the ball rolling.

Ok, no references allowed!

Any guesses?

BikeHike and LordMarc are excluded from answering, as I used them for Guinea Pigs. :D

Hint: Your first thought is probably incorrect.

My first thought was incorrect.

My second thought was incorrect.

My third thought is correct, and I'm gonna whack you upside the head with it if you stray from the correct answer when you reveal yours. A hint: I was totally anal in answering the question that you have posed. 'Nuff said . . . fer now.

BTW, I enjoyed this little exercise -- thanks!

OK, so now I'll assume that by "latest," you don't mean most recent. Perhaps you mean the day in each calendar year where the sunrise is the latest. In that case, my guess would be the last day of daylight savings time. This year, I believe that was Halloween. I'll put the time of the sunrise somewhere around 7:30 AM.

Last edited:
OK, so now I'll assume that by "latest," you don't mean most recent. Perhaps you mean the day in each calendar year where the sunrise is the latest. In that case, my guess would be the last day of daylight savings time. This year, I believe that was Halloween. I'll put the time of the sunrise somewhere around 7:30 AM.
Ding! Ding!

Winner! :D

Explanation

This link:

http://www.dlmcn.com/eqntime.html

shows why the Winter Solstice is not correct. But this assumes no DST. w/o DST, the answer
would have been some time in early January, around 7:20 AM.

However, with the 'new' DST, the latest sunrise time in the NE is now the last day of DST.

This year, it was 10/31.

DST can now end as late as November 7th, so this
could be even later in future years.

This link:

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calend...-5;1&month=10&year=2009&time_type=0&use_dst=1

shows sunrise (and sunset) times for NYC. As you can see, the latest sunrise time is now around
7:25 AM. You get similar results with Boston.

I did not do exhaustive research on this to see when and where it is true.

A Brief History of Time (Daylight Savings version that is):

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/daylight_time.php

SARDog: I'm quaking in my hiking boots! :eek:

My first thought was incorrect.

My second thought was incorrect.

My third thought is correct, and I'm gonna whack you upside the head with it if you stray from the correct answer when you reveal yours. A hint: I was totally anal in answering the question that you have posed. 'Nuff said . . . fer now.

BTW, I enjoyed this little exercise -- thanks!
I was going to post 'your 2nd thought is probably incorrect as well', but that sounded a little arrogant! :D

Wow! Thanks for the PM, Tom. An all-expenses paid trip to the land of the midnight sun just for winning this little quizzer!?! Very appropriate prize but more than I could ever accept. Oh, OK, you talked me into it. When do I leave? :D

FWIW, I really dislike daylight savings now extending into November. I frequently have to be at work by 7 AM and it is no fun doing the entire commute in the dark in OCTOBER. I mean, you kind of expect it in December and January. But October is just waaaay too early for sunrises that late. For whatever reason, I really noticed it this year. :(

Better get ready, here comes the whackin'.

The latest sunrise time in the Northeastern United States is 7:51 a.m., EST, or 12:51 GMT. Your time of 7:25 a.m. EDT is 11:25 GMT, so it is not later.

The latest sunrise time in the Northeastern United States is experienced at this point in Pennsylvania in Lake Erie from December 31 through January 7, 2010:

http://www.heavens-above.com/sun.as...&loc=Unspecified&TZ=EST&Date=40178.6604513889

sunrise.jpg

(If you think that PA is not part of the Northeast, then the next latest time is in New York's portion of Lake Erie at 7:49 a.m. EST or 12:49 GMT.)

I am not able to refine this time to anything finer than minutes without more work than I want to do. I'm anal on this point, not nuts.

I started by thinking that the location would be near Fort Kent, Maine, as that is the farthest north point in the Northeast. Then I realized that a point farther west in the same time zone would have a later sunrise time. Then I found out that some folks consider PA to be part of the Northeast; I tend to think of it as Middle Atlantic.

So, where do I pick up my prize?

Last edited:
Better get ready, here comes the whackin'.

So, where do I pick up my prize?
If you ask surnisesunset.com for either Cleveland, OH or Pittsburgh, PA, (that webpage only has big cities), the end of DST is still the latest sunrise.

So, P.C. still has the vacation! :D (Very appropriate choice of destinations, BTW!)

But you had me scared for a minute!

If you ask surnisesunset.com for either Cleveland, OH or Pittsburgh, PA, (that webpage only has big cities), the end of DST is still the latest sunrise.

So, P.C. still has the vacation! :D (Very appropriate choice of destinations, BTW!)

But you had me scared for a minute!

Huh? The times on sunrisesunset.com are in EDT for October. EDT is four hours behind GMT. EST is five hours behind GMT. If you use sunrisesunset.com for Pittsburgh, the latest time is at 7:42 a.m. EST, or 12:42 GMT, starting on December 28 and going forward for several days.

I'm warming up my whackin' stick . . .

Last edited:
Next time a map of erie county PA is posted, please zoom out to include Meadville. There are some people on VFTT who went to college there and they would appreciate the homecoming. ;)

Huh? The times on sunrisesunset.com are in EDT for October. EDT is four hours behind GMT. EST is five hours behind GMT. If you use sunrisesunset.com for Pittsburgh, the latest time is at 7:42 a.m. EST, or 12:42 GMT, starting on December 28 and going forward for several days.

I'm warming up my whackin' stick . . .
Maybe we're talking across each other here. The Sunrise time for late October is later than early January everywhere in the North East, in civil time, not converting it back to GMT. I'm talking about perception, not reality! :D

Fyi...

Kinda-sorta on the same topic -- and now that the riddle has been solved -- a reminder that this New Year's Eve is a BLUE MOON, which doesn't happen again on 12/31 until 2028.

Hope y'all got something special planned!!

:D:):rolleyes: