Moose Active -2016

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I saw my first muddy foot prints crossing my road immediately adjacent to RT2 this morning. There are a couple of wet areas they hang out in. If they are crossing my road they most likely are crossing RT 2.

On a sadder note, a hiker on my hike cam across the Kanc this morning stopped to take a photo of yearling, she showed me a photo of the moose and it looked to be "ghost moose" that had rubbed off a lot furs to the guard hairs were showing. The moose didnt seem to respond to any traffic. Generally when they are in the condition they are infested with ticks and is near death. I expect the moose are going to take it hard after the mild winter

The most moose scat I've ever seen in my entire life was yesterday from just past the summit of Mt. Meader extending to about a mile/mile and a half west on the Meader Ridge Trail. It was absolutely ridiculous, literally a new pile every few feet or so in a few sections.

The most moose scat I've ever seen in my entire life was yesterday from just past the summit of Mt. Meader extending to about a mile/mile and a half west on the Meader Ridge Trail. It was absolutely ridiculous, literally a new pile every few feet or so in a few sections.

I've got a theory that moose poop freezes in the winter, then is revealed as the snow melts in spring, giving the appearance of tons of moose activity when it's actually the accumulation of months of poop from wintering on the ridge. I've noticed this phenomenon several times now (J Trail up Smarts Mtn, Mt Parker Summit, Algonquin Trail up Sandwich Dome, etc).

I think that's partly true, but I've seen moose tracks as well as the poop on many trails. This weekend was the first time I've actually seen the green moose poop crumbling apart like it's been soaked in water for a time. Usually it's a dark brown color.

My gf and I have noticed that it's usually found on one side of a mountain or the other, but not on both. If we hike some mountain, say Old Speck, on the RT26 side, nothing. Cross over the peak and go down the AT or GLT and moose poop galore. We noticed the same thing this weekend hiking over the Bald Pates on the AT.

On a sadder note, a hiker on my hike cam across the Kanc this morning stopped to take a photo of yearling, she showed me a photo of the moose and it looked to be "ghost moose" that had rubbed off a lot furs to the guard hairs were showing. The moose didnt seem to respond to any traffic. Generally when they are in the condition they are infested with ticks and is near death. I expect the moose are going to take it hard after the mild winter

My friend & I saw a pretty grey & mangy-looking moose on the eastern slope of Teapot on Saturday, though it trotted away seemingly healthily when it caught wind of us. We couldn't tell if it was undergoing its normal spring coat changeover or if it was tick-infested.

About a month ago I was coming back from bigelow down route 16. just about at the new hampshire line at dusk a huge moose came trotting across the road. didnt expect them to be down low so soon. It was an interesting drive back because I saw about 200 deer in an hour and a half. Never saw anything like it

We had what appeared to be a healthy yearling in the woods behind our house a few weeks ago.

I've got a theory that moose poop freezes in the winter, then is revealed as the snow melts in spring, giving the appearance of tons of moose activity when it's actually the accumulation of months of poop from wintering on the ridge. I've noticed this phenomenon several times now (J Trail up Smarts Mtn, Mt Parker Summit, Algonquin Trail up Sandwich Dome, etc).

Is it dry or loose? http://www.all-about-moose.com/moose-poop.html

Definitely on the drier/looser side. Generally light brown. If I stepped in it I'd expect it would crumble more than stick to my boot.
Sounds like leftover Winter Moo Doo to me.

I spotted a female moose a few weeks back along the Al Merrill Loop near Sayre Peak. She stopped in the trail to look at me as if to say, "what are you doing here", then trotted off up the trail.

On the subject of poop, the most I've ever seen was along the High Ridge Trail between Roberts and Faraway. My goodness.