Rangers taking pictures of plates?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
According to a post in NETRAILCONDITIONS, someone saw a Forest Ranger taking pictures of liscense plates in the LW parking Lot. Has anyone seen this before? Or know what he was doing that for? I'll be honest this creeps me out on many levels. So we cannot just go and be, now they have to patrol with cameras in there hands to flush us out? Ill wait to hear more on this, but on the face of it, I'm dissapointed to say the least.

Perhaps those people had not paid and he was collecting evidence for tickets?

Tim

I'm with Tim. People will contest anything. The rangers are likely taking timestamped photos. I wonder if they have to produce the entire day's envelopes to prove that the offending license is not among them.

I'm sure law enforcement has forever made note of who is parked where, and forest rangers are no exception. It doesn't bother me one bit, and in fact makes me feel safer to know that they know who is parked next to me. It is a good thing. As a matter of fact, I often note the license plate numbers (and have taken photos) of vehicles parked next to me from time to time in certain places... just in case. I learned after I wished I had done that the time when some jerk opened his truck door into my car and I later returned to find a big dent in my door.

Last edited:
There's a bandit trail on Pilot Knob in the Lake George area of the Adirondacks. Someone cut this years ago and has been in a battle with the rangers. He paints blazes, clears the trail, and cuts views. They come in and paint over his blazes on trees. I saw the guy a few years ago and happened to mention it to the local ranger. He said that if they catch him, they are going to slam him with everything. Asked if I ever saw him again, to make a note of every plate in the T/H. Not the same thing as the O.P., but pretty sure this is SOP everywhere.

Edit- The person who saw the rangers put a trail conditions report on VFFT. He went by while I was going up.

I was on Osseo/Flume on Saturday coming down at night. There was some (illegal) camping pretty much on the river and the Osseo trailhead. Big fire and all! But the chaps were friendly enough as we met a few times on Osseo. I didn't really care. So if they were taking pictures maybe its related.

I was actually more concerned about getting a parking ticket--all the envelops were wet and sealed shut. I had to rip one to get to get the cash in. Supposedly you have to "validate it by entering your name address and plate info". But there were no pencils.

Last edited:
He was taking pictures of the side of a Mini Cooper when I walked past. I thought this was odd. Plates maybe, but the side? It was not parked abnormally, I didn't see any damage, and the car was still there when I returned in the early afternoon.

Sierra, did you really think big brother hasn't been watching us for a LONG time now! :D

No, I hear you, it just stinks to be honest. I miss being out west where you can just do whatever and rangers are just few and far between. Here in the Whites you cant throw a rock without hitting one. Don't get me wrong, an innocent man fears no law, but they are everywhere. You cant sleep at trailheads, you cant park overnight, you cant camp here or there, you have to pay to park, I guess maybe I should just go where its not so oppressive and I just might.

hmmmmm... I wonder what would happen if you started taking pictures of the Rangers and their trucks????? I've taken pics of govt trucks before at some of the TH/Trails before .... maybe they have a forum where they mention that and the other Rangers get creeped out? The signs do say the lot is monitored by video cams, right - mine or theirs? OK... I'm just kidding here... nobody get upset, alright :) My intentions are pure, of course!!!!

Last edited:
No, I hear you, it just stinks to be honest. I miss being out west where you can just do whatever and rangers are just few and far between. Here in the Whites you cant throw a rock without hitting one. Don't get me wrong, an innocent man fears no law, but they are everywhere. You cant sleep at trailheads, you cant park overnight, you cant camp here or there, you have to pay to park, I guess maybe I should just go where its not so oppressive and I just might.

Personally, I have seen fewer than a dozen rangers in 8+ years. Half of those at the LW parking lot. I recall seeing the rest over three hikes - twice a single ranger, and once 2 or 3. New York and the DEC are (reportedly) far more restrictive.

Tim

hmmmmm... I wonder what would happen if you started taking pictures of the Rangers and their trucks????? I've taken pics of govt trucks before at some of the TH/Trails before .... maybe they have a forum where they mention that and the other Rangers get creeped out? The signs do say the lot is monitored by video cams, right - mine or theirs?

I would guess intention matters. If their intent is just justify fines for vehicles that don't follow the rules, that is different than someone who is trying to intimidate someone else by taking their picture. That is not to say that would be your intention, but it's good to be aware that such tactics are sadly quite common by anti-choice protesters outside of abortion clinics, and other ideologically driven groups. (I.E., it's what crazy people do). :D

Were they armed? The WMNF has just two Law Enforcement Officers. You can identify them fairly readily because they are the only FS employees who are armed. Other FS employees handle the general field work, including fee collections. They're the ones you're most likely to encounter. If you see one of the LEO's they're probably there because of a specific problem or incident, and not just collecting parking fees.

hmmmmm... I wonder what would happen if you started taking pictures of the Rangers and their trucks????? I've taken pics of govt trucks before at some of the TH/Trails before .... maybe they have a forum where they mention that and the other Rangers get creeped out? The signs do say the lot is monitored by video cams, right - mine or theirs?
Taking pictures of Rangers in action out in public is probably legal. See http://bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/photography_law_rights.html

Doug

lol. Bob Atkins - is that guy still active? I think I have been reading some of his stuff over 10 years ago.

Aside - about the 'grass is greener West' - in Wyoming it's nice to see all the open spaces until you realize they are all ranches with fences. You can't even float a river that runs through their property. You show up at a bar and you stick out like a Yankee in the West. You buy a fishing license and hike into a remote pond when you realize you need another license from the Indian tribe... I love going back to Wyoming but it's not as rosy with access and hands off management as it seems.

Taking pictures of Rangers in action out in public is probably legal. See http://bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/photography_law_rights.html

Doug

lol. Bob Atkins - is that guy still active? I think I have been reading some of his stuff over 10 years ago.

Aside - about the 'grass is greener West' - in Wyoming it's nice to see all the open spaces until you realize they are all ranches with fences. You can't even float a river that runs through their property. You show up at a bar and you stick out like a Yankee in the West. You buy a fishing license and hike into a remote pond when you realize you need another license from the Indian tribe... I love going back to Wyoming but it's not as rosy with access and hands off management as it seems.

Colorado is my stomping grounds. Bootleg camping everywhere, you can build fires, shoot your guns and basically go nuts, try any of that in the Whites. I got busted laying down in my truck on the Kanc, just trying to rest before driving home.

Were they armed? The WMNF has just two Law Enforcement Officers. You can identify them fairly readily because they are the only FS employees who are armed. Other FS employees handle the general field work, including fee collections. They're the ones you're most likely to encounter. If you see one of the LEO's they're probably there because of a specific problem or incident, and not just collecting parking fees.

Thanks for that info. Two weeks ago we went skiing from Tripoli Rd up toward Greeley Pond. The lot was packed. A FS Ranger got out of his truck and he had the full weapons belt with handgun, taser etc. Both my wife and I had never seen that on rangers. He just looked around, was friendly then got back in his truck and left. We just attributed it to need to keep the rowdy nordic skiing crowd under control. Those type A's can get out of hand quickly. :)

I find this thread interesting. Someone breaks into a car a trailhead and there is a long thread on how "the authorities" need to monitor the parking lots and string up the perpetrators by their thumbs for breaking into cars. If the LEOs are going to keep cars from being broken into, they are going have to go in the parking lots and keep an active eye on them. This will probably entail doing things that the general public questions but if the LEOs advertise their techniques, they are less effective. I was hanging around my car at the Great Gulf lot this summer and a WMNF ranger drove by stopped and asked me a few questions, I didn't stress out, I just let him know I was waiting for someone and off he went. I could have just as well have been casing the lot getting ready to smash a few windows but a random visit from a officer sure would encourage me not to. I appreciated that someone was keeping an eye on the lot and I expect that most folks appreciate coming back to their cars without a pile of broken glass and the interior contents pawed through.

I could speculate that the WMNF keeps a eye on the vehicles parked long term in Lincoln Woods in case some the cars are there too long and the folks who own it are in trouble. There have been stolen cars dumped there and on occasion folks have parked there and headed off into the woods to commit suicide. There also have been transients (and ski area workers) who have set up camps in the woods using the parking lot facilities. I expect the general public would support management of the area to prevent these.

Making comparisons between out west and out east is not valid. The public lands out east are a lot smaller and in close proximity to a large population base. The western lands tend to be remote and therefore the management can be less intense. I have seen over the years what happens when the WMNF and in general the north country of NH are unmanaged. For those familiar with Tripoli road, many of the back roads in the whites used to be very similar. Campfire rings, piles of trash, drunken parties and stripped trees were the norm. Unfortunately the tragedy of the commons applies, if an area isn't managed, it will tend to degrade, as a minority will tend to abuse it. The public lands out west are vastly larger so their degradation is not as apparent but I expect its happening.

So nobody asked the ranger why he was taking pictures? I would have but I guess that's just me.

Dave

Your points are always well stated but I think using the word "oppressive" is really overkill. I just don't get that feeling when I'm in the Whites.