Northeast’s Fastest Known Times

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't follow these record attempts much - does anyone know if Mike Gallagher's time of 4:46 has been broken?
I was hoping Cold River Run would post the correct time of the recent attempt, I did not want to post an erroneous time. Oh, Corey...?

The short answer is apparently YES!

Would enjoy learning about the conditions Esper faced. There were some 'mild' winters at that time, and many with heavy snowfalls.
One thing for sure, no such thing as Microspikes and snowshoes were primitive compared to what we all use now.

I read somewhere recently that Jonathan Esper's record was completed during a period when there had been a solid thaw - freeze cycle, and all trails were firm and did not need breaking. So that might not be a significant consideration.

Me too, I heard that the conditions were "just right" for Espers.

That would be an interesting comparison. But then again he was a kid, hiking by himself with no one along. Another big difference - no internet forums providing advance information, encouragement, the latest snow conditions, and weather.
Even if the conditions were 'just right', his achievement was outstanding. Wondering what he might say about it and put to rest a discussion about what each of us might have heard.

Yeah, kinda like debating whether Gordie Howe was better than Wayne Gretzky was better than Sidney Crosby....

Btw, how old was Esper when he did it?

Or the Himalayan climbers from the earlier days with wool, 30lb O2 bottles, or wooden snowshoe era in the Whites and ADKs vs gear, nutrition, clothing used by today's climbers.

Esper is one of the more interesting personas to pass through the Adirondacks. Has gone on to do a whole lot of fascinating stuff around the world. According to his own account, he doesn't even hold the winter record anymore ... it was eclipsed by his younger brothers. He and his family are all about the adventure. Cool bunch.

http://www.wildernessphotographs.com/gallery.php?gallery=photographer

Edit - my bad. I guess his brothers broke his record as the youngest winter 46Rs, not the fastest.

Last edited:
New FKT for Long Path

"Ken [Posner] started his thru-run on the 350-mile scenic hiking trail that stretches from New York City to Albany at 7:14 am, Sunday August 25, and reached the finish on Tuesday, September 3, at 10:20 am, for a total time of 9 days 3 hours and 6 minutes. Ken wrote that of the 119 known end-to-end thru-hikers of the Long Path, the prior fastest known time was 12 days."

Full article.

Dangergirl, aka Kristina Marie Folcik-Welts, just established a women's FKT for the Presie Traverse of

5 hours, 32 minutes!!!

Apparently the old record was almost 2 hours longer! :eek:

Dangergirl, aka Kristina Marie Folcik-Welts, just established a women's FKT for the Presie Traverse of

5 hours, 32 minutes!!!

Apparently the old record was almost 2 hours longer! :eek:

Ive never come close to any of these records and I find them to be just impressive as hell. Heck 5.32, thats my time for Madison and Adams only!!!! There is a girl ( sorry Lady) who just did the Pemi traverse in around 9.5 hrs I believe, I hear that and think, Im like a human snail.:eek:

There is a girl ( sorry Lady) who just did the Pemi traverse in around 9.5 hrs I believe, I hear that and think, Im like a human snail.:eek:
The current women's record for the Pemi Loop is 7:34. The men's record is 6:27.

The current women's record for the Pemi Loop is 7:34. The men's record is 6:27.

I didnt mean to suggest that her time was a record, but I still felt it was an incredible time anyway. I actually didnt know the records, thanks for posting them, very impressive. Though Im sure these outings are more running trips then hiking trips.

And we have a new FKT for the 4000'ers! Andrew "Trail Dog" Thompson broke Tim Seaver's 11 year old record by 51 minutes, to set the new one at 3 days 15 hours.

Awesome feat by Andrew T and his team, especially with the less than ideal weather window. Well done! I'm really glad to see that it was someone from NH - I have always felt that the "locals" should be the ones to hold these records, and Andrew certainly fits the bill.

Also....another upcoming attempt is in the works, so hold on to your hats! I can't say any more.

And we have a new FKT for the 4000'ers! Andrew "Trail Dog" Thompson broke Tim Seaver's 11 year old record by 51 minutes, to set the new one at 3 days 15 hours.

What was his routing? Cabot first? Moosilauke? Also, is driving allowed between trailheads, say from Jefferson (Waumbek) to a northern Presi Trailhead? I've thought about this enterprise from time to time on my very slow, not to say leisurely, treks in the mountains.

Last edited:
What was his routing? Cabot first? Moosilauke? Also, is driving allowed between trailheads, say from Jefferson (Waumbek) to a northern Presi Trailhead? I've thought about this enterprise from time to time on my very slow, not to say leisurely, treks in the mountains.
His route will be included in his official account - the route chosen is a huge part of any attempt like this. Yes, for this record you are allowed to drive from trailhead to trailhead. The days are carefully crafted for maximum speed.

His route will be included in his official account - the route chosen is a huge part of any attempt like this. Yes, for this record you are allowed to drive from trailhead to trailhead. The days are carefully crafted for maximum speed.

What's the record for doing all 48 with no motorized support - bicycle between trailheads allowed? That would be something. Would require a half dozen bikes, I'd guess. Cabot from the northwest, then Waumbek, then bike to Castle Trail, swoop around the northerns to W, then bike from Pinkham to Moriah, hiking back to Pinkham or base of Wildcat, optional bike to Diretissima or Rocky Branch, Isolation to Monroe across southern Pres, Willey Range, Zealand, Hale, Twins and Bonds, Carrigain, Hancocks, Tripyramids and neighbors, bike ride to Waterville, Tecumseh, Osceola and East, bike ride to Lincoln Woods, Owl's Head, Galehead, Garfield and Franconias, Kinsmen and Cannon, bike ride to Kinsman Notch, and Moosilauke. Easy peasy.

Fun to think about.

Awesome feat by Andrew T and his team, especially with the less than ideal weather window. Well done! I'm really glad to see that it was someone from NH - I have always felt that the "locals" should be the ones to hold these records, and Andrew certainly fits the bill.

Also....another upcoming attempt is in the works, so hold on to your hats! I can't say any more.

Congratulations to Andrew - that's huge.

And congrats to Tim Seaver for holding this record for over a decade. Really amazing stuff.

The unsupported record for the 48 (just hiking, no bikes at all) is 10 days 14 hours by Mats Roing.

The Fitch brothers did the 46 (at the time) 4000'ers with one car and a bike to handle getting back to it in 6 days 15 hours 30 minutes.

I don't know if anyone has attempted it with just a bike, or multiple bikes.