Climber dead after summiting mt Everest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8 climbers have died on Everest in the last week.

It’s now 10 hikers who’ve died. Robin Fisher, 44, made it to the summit Saturday morning, but collapsed after 150 meters on the trek down. His Sherpa attempted to wake him up to change his oxygen and give him water, but was unsuccessful

It’s now 10 hikers who’ve died. Robin Fisher, 44, made it to the summit Saturday morning, but collapsed after 150 meters on the trek down. His Sherpa attempted to wake him up to change his oxygen and give him water, but was unsuccessful

The count continues to rise, 11.

Here is in interesting short video of what it's like up there and why the situation might have occurred:

Increased permitting by Nepalese government and rise of discount guide services with lower standards for clients.

The crowding condx illustrated in the video are absolutely insane at 28k feet.
cb

Last edited:
I'm not sure they even know the number now. I've seen reports of 13 to 18 as of this morning on various websites. Whatever the number is it is too many. I'd think some changes will be forthcoming on this....

EDIT: Most sites say 11 today. I assume the various sites I saw yesterday updated their articles to reflect the count. 13 was a number I saw in a few articles on Bing.com/news yesterday.

Last edited:
Conrad Anker has suggested that they need to stop inexperienced climbers from attempting Everest. Not sure how they would enforce that.

Conrad Anker has suggested that they need to stop inexperienced climbers from attempting Everest. Not sure how they would enforce that.

I caught the tail end of a segment on Today show this morning that said the Nepalese government is discussing this very topic. One of sherpas interviewed said "a lot of people are just here for the check mark" and essentially they did not belong. I think they need to focus on all these fly by night guiding companies just cashing checks and dragging people up there unprepared and unequipped. Even documentaries about Everest from early 2000's have companies that show up and plan on using other people's ropes, stealing oxygen on routes, minimal facilities at base camp, etc. and you repeatedly see the reputable companies bailing them out of disaster. Cracking down on that should be priority number one in my opinion. This is not the kid of endeavor where looking for the cheapest guy available is really what you want to be doing.