Hiker rescue on Mt Washington (was Scary.)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another great help/rescue by the Cog. How many now since 1869? And still no one comes out and thanks them from the many in the hiking communty. Always scorn or other odd comments.

I don't come onto Views to thank the S&R groups, NHFG (which always seems to involve CO Lucas getting out of bed, at least on TV :) ), USFS, nor the Cog or any others that helped in a rescue every time one happens, if at all. That doesn't mean I'm not grateful to these organizations for being there and going the extra mile to help, and I am deeply grateful.

I don't also like to speak for others, but I think my opinion is widely shared.

And not speaking for anyone but myself, I am not grateful for cries of victim from every corner of life.

In keeping with practicing caution in hiking excursions I opted to hike my local favorite Plymouth Mountain which is generally low risk outing, yet provides interesting terrain. As trail involves north facing slope I encountered generous snow cover. I knew I'd need traction so I carried micro-spikes and Hillsounds. The trail at lower elevations was a well packed trail turned super icy by recent rains and subsequent freezing temps. The light traction was OK used with caution, but crampons would have been the best traction. Unfortunately icy packed trails appears to be the norm what with rains and freezing temps.

Hikers coming up from southern NE (where daffodils are in bloom) are probably underestimating ice hazards thinking all they need is light traction. IMO People have gotten out of the habit of carrying and using crampons thanks to proliferation of micro-spikes and Hillsounds. This is particularly true on higher summits, but can even be the case on more moderate peaks. Insufficient traction is putting even experienced hikers and SAR at risk as shown by this recent accident on cog RR.

Last edited:
I have newer hiked it but have run into many who have in the winter. In the winter if the conditions are right, its the most direct route to the summit and shortest of the three options that start at the base station. Looking at the profiles of the Cog, Ammo and Jewell, the Cog is the steadiest profile which would be expected for a railroad track. The rough road built for the powerline construction that folks usually walk on was "improved" two years ago by the cog up to treeline which caused them some issues with the county although it was ultimately resolved. Over the years I have never heard of any aggressive attempts to prevent hikers from using their strip of privately owned land for climbing to top beyond some signage at the bottom. They claim to operate under special federal railroad regulations which gives them special rights to their right of way so perhaps they do not need to post no trespassing signage like other properties in NH. The claim of special rights was a source of conflict with respect to the summit operations but I have never heard of any attempt to exclude hikers from the right of way during times when the cog is not in operation. The electrical utility clearing is definitely on Cog land and is used by many as more direct route to the summit after it crosses the west side trail. This was a non issue prior to plowing the base station road as the hiker traffic was far lower.

Just because it's constant wouldn't make it for walking. I was thinking graded, as what a road grader does or how Edmands made his trails as opposed to the degree of incline. The Cog does incorporate trestles when needed. The constant incline reminds me more of a ski slope, (hence the ski train attempts), not a green trail like pole-cat that takes a fairly wide circuitous route down Wildcat D but more like the run under the ski-lifts. My thoughts on hiking up ski slopes is that they are designed for swift travel downhill while wearing boards on your feet designed to limit friction with an slick surface.

Due to the conditions of Caribou Valley Road one autumn, it was how I had to approach Sugarloaf. I've walked up them in PA and at Mammoth also. Mammoth was just to the top of the bunny slope to get used to walking uphill above 8000 feet & to take pictures while my avatar was still sleeping :D I hope I never have to walk up one again.

Me and my dog hiked on Wednesday. We chose Waterville Valley, barely an hour from my house. I did not stop anywhere going up, or on the way home. When encountering people on the trail, I stepped well off the trail and asked them to pass. Had to stop two people from trying to pet my dog. Ran into Ed H. he's still kicking around to no surprise.

Me and my dog hiked on Wednesday. We chose Waterville Valley, barely an hour from my house. I did not stop anywhere going up, or on the way home. When encountering people on the trail, I stepped well off the trail and asked them to pass. Had to stop two people from trying to pet my dog. Ran into Ed H. he's still kicking around to no surprise.
Just a little curious here - how does your dog contribute to choosing? :)

Last edited:
Part of the reason the GF and I walked the Eastern Trail Saturday from Biddo to Scarborough marshes. About as flat as can be. 16 miles was still a long day and we are pretty sure that it was harder because we had no relief from using different muscles walking up and down hills and around roots and rocks. Still better than sitting on the couch.

I love that trail. We bicycle on it every August during our annual visit to southern Maine. Here's to happier times:)