when nature calls

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for the digging, I ran an experiment in my local woods and found that buried treasure gets dug up by the critters. This was true over enough iterations and variations that I no longer spend time digging. This may be bs (hs?), but I just see to it that I am far enough off-trail not to be seen. I know human waste is toxic, but it got dug up every time I checked, so I stopped putting in that effort. Can someone (more) scientific corroborate or deny?
I don't think human waste is toxic (in the sense of it containing poisonous chemicals), it can, however, contain pathogens (parasites, etc). The purpose of burying it is to keep the pathogens out of the surface water and to help the soil bacteria degrade it.

My view is that one should do what one can to minimize the chance of spreading the pathogens.

Doug

For winter outings, innumerable people speak about the joys of using snow. However, I find that a better approach is to only camp when it's really cold. This makes pooping seem really unpleasant to your subconscious, and it thus causes a helpful weekend-long bout of constipation which usually starts to let go somewhere near the big New Hampshire State Liquor Store just below Concord.
I wouldn't call using snow a joy, but it is better than nothing. I only used snow when I didn't have any TP.

Doug

On my AT thru-hike I developed a utilitarian approach to broadleaf deciduous trees that has served me well to this day.

For winter outings, innumerable people speak about the joys of using snow. However, I find that a better approach is to only camp when it's really cold. This makes pooping seem really unpleasant to your subconscious, and it thus causes a helpful weekend-long bout of constipation which usually starts to let go somewhere near the big New Hampshire State Liquor Store just below Concord.

I think you just need to "train" your constitution...you see, I have it down to a precise timing...and each "area" of our hiking has a pretty consistent "potty store"...along the way and timed just right. A quick stop here on the way to the hike and...life is GOOD!!

For overnights...well...not quite as easy. Hopefully, there is some sort of commode-type contraption wherever it is we have spent the night...again, timing is everything.:p

My final step, after burying, is to drag dead and down around to cover it up and hopefully inhibit digging. Don't know how well it works; nature's excavators are pretty persistent.

I've heard, and it seems borne out by experience, that squatting seems to be a lot less messy than sitting and results in much less TP need.

, i saw more poop on the trail and I am not talking about dog poop. There are also several areas of paper remains

From what I see on the trail it seems to take a long time for it to dissapear. .

There is no reason to see poop or paper. :mad: That's just bad. :mad:

Just go furthere off trail.

One more thought -- if you are looking along the trail for a "good" place to go, i.e. privacy (rocks, trees, etc.) you can count on the fact that others have selected your same site. Watch your step!

I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing when I have to plant a beacon.

LNT principals are to pack out what you pack in, except for this...then they want us to dig a cathole 6" to 8" deep, 200' from water, trail and camp, then to bury and "disguise" it. Disguise could be to cover with rocks or branches, I guess. However, since it's not practical, and could actually become dangerous, to try to get 200' from everything, packing it out may be the best option...well, not the best for the carrier maybe, but certainly for LNT, as even a well disguised cathole is still L'ing a T.

anyone ever tried this product?

http://www.poopfreeze.com/
Actually, this is similar to what's called a "Midwinter Hotdog"...

It only works for cold months. You're hiking on a cold day and you got to go so you crap your pants. The poop warms you up for a while. Once it cools off, it freezes, so you can just reach in, take out the frozen turd, and chuck it deep into the woods. No cleanup. It only works on cold days, not mid-summer hikes on the Long Trail and such.

-Dr. Wu

Squatting is better than sitting. Not only is it less messy, the lower digestive tract works better when squatting. Most of the world squats; only the Western world has developed the peculiar equipment for sitting.

While I know that animals dig things up, and that even catholes 200' from the trail leave a trace, almost all the offensive things I have seen through the years are from people leaving everything right on the surface, less than 10' from the trail. If everyone followed the 200' away cathole rule, 99% of this would go away. The 1% of us who care (most of whom are on here, so this is preaching to the choir) may inconveneince themselves with wag bags, etc., but it's not going to make any difference out there, where the other 99% are pooping in the middle of the trail or the brook, or in the middle of the parking lot (yes, I have seen it) or on an 18" ledge at the top of a one pitch climb (yes, I have seen it).

TCD

Years ago in Nepal I found myself in a small patch of wild mint when nature called. Very refreshing! Moss works well, too. When I need paper, I minimize it by wrapping a little paper around a small bundle of leaves.

Man, some people just have all the luck.

Actually, this is similar to what's called a "Midwinter Hotdog"...

It only works for cold months. You're hiking on a cold day and you got to go so you crap your pants. The poop warms you up for a while. Once it cools off, it freezes, so you can just reach in, take out the frozen turd, and chuck it deep into the woods. No cleanup. It only works on cold days, not mid-summer hikes on the Long Trail and such.

-Dr. Wu

Do you spend a lot of time with Neil? :D

Squatting with bibs at your ankles is a very poor combination. Trust me....

The best technique to use is the one piece of toilet paper method.
Well isn't that interesting. And I thought it was unique - I guess word gets around. I've been "demonstrating" that technique to my trek leader students each of the past 20 years, using a striped maple (goose-foot maple) leaf instead of paper. Tear out a small piece of the center portion with the strong main vein to serve as a nail cleaner in case you are a bit too aggressive and the equipment fails. The advantage of the leaf over paper is it offers you the choice of a soft gentle side, or a rougher ribbed side for those times when you need just a little more friction. :rolleyes:

Well isn't that interesting. And I thought it was unique - I guess word gets around. I've been "demonstrating" that technique to my trek leader students each of the past 20 years, using a striped maple (goose-foot maple) leaf instead of paper. Tear out a small piece of the center portion with the strong main vein to serve as a nail cleaner in case you are a bit too aggressive and the equipment fails. The advantage of the leaf over paper is it offers you the choice of a soft gentle side, or a rougher ribbed side for those times when you need just a little more friction. :rolleyes:

Not to come down too hard on you but this seems like a bit of a novelty to me or are you such a green being that you practice this method in your daily life? I'm just failing to see the point I guess

Not to come down too hard on you but this seems like a bit of a novelty to me or are you such a green being that you practice this method in your daily life? I'm just failing to see the point I guess
You got gist of it wrong. It is taught as a JOKE, but more than that it is meant to be just one of several instructor's examples to the students of methods on how to implement a short segment "teachable moment" during instruction on the trail. These students, after/if they successfully graduate, will be employed guiding treks for several weeks during summer months. Learning how to teach, whatever the topic, is a requirement for them to demonstrate during the course. Geeze, I've never been accused of being too "green" with this humorous teaching demo.

Last edited: