The Ossipee Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
After years on the 4ks, I was looking for a change. I found it in the 52wav list. That is an amazing list of peaks and a list I plan on repeating again soon. In the mean time, looking for more new ground, me and my dog arrived in the Ossipee range. I had done Roberts about 5 times and did Mt. Shaw for the 52wav list, but that was it. I've spent the last 6 weeks exploring the range and it's been quite pleasant. Many tote roads line the range and go not only to the crest of the ridgelines, but along them as well. This allows for incredibly comfortable hiking and the signage and blazes are such that you could hardly lose your way. The views over the lakes region and the surrounding peaks are very nice. There is even a patch for doing the major "!0" peaks. Many of my hikes are mostly people free, to date, I have never run into more then 3 people on a hike. If your looking for a quiet and enjoyable place to get away and try some new ground, the Ossipee's are worth a look. Most of the major trails can be accessed by one point, the Parking area on the Castle of the clouds property off Ossipee mountain road via route 171 out of Moultonborough. 3 more peaks for my dogs patch, then it's back to the 52wav list.

It's a terrible area. An old extinct volcanic ring which occasionally spews poisonous gases. There are lots of aggressive wild animals in the area and poison ivy abounds. The trails are very steep with dangerous ledges and cliffs and difficult to follow. This area is best avoided :rolleyes:

It's a terrible area. An old extinct volcanic ring which occasionally spews poisonous gases. There are lots of aggressive wild animals in the area and poison ivy abounds. The trails are very steep with dangerous ledges and cliffs and difficult to follow. This area is best avoided :rolleyes:
I agree. Don’t waste your time. The bugs are really bad too. They are even out in the Winter there.

So bad that you cant buy a good map (but you can download one for free https://www.franklinsites.com/hikephotos/files/nhtrailbanditossipees.php)

Actually, The lakes Region Conservation Trust sells a really nice map of the area. It does exclude Sentinel and Flagg Mt. as they fall outside of their jurisdiction. I have seen that Trail Bandits map online and have used it as a reference, wish I could get a copy, I actually don't own a computer to print a copy. It's a fabulous map.

Staples does or did have the capability to print large scale maps. If you could get someone to download it to USB stick just stop by at the business desk. Unfortunately the resulting map will not have the same durability as the originals but folding it and keeping it in large ziplock usually works.

Last edited:
Without digging up the original controversy, I will comment on a very common misunderstanding of the general public on easements in general. If you look at various databases of "conservation"easements in the region it looks like there are lot of them https://site.tplgis.org/NCED/interactivemap/ ripe for the visit. Unfortunately for the general public, an easement in no way guarantees any rights to public access. When a landowner sells an easement, he is selling a set of particular rights and only those rights to a third party. That third party then owns those rights into perpetuity and is required to ensure that the rights are protected. The third party is not allowed to expand those rights, only the current owner of the land can do so. Conservation easements can be quite loose or quite broad and in many cases the organizations buying easements are very focused on what they want to accomplish at the least cost, and public access is quite low on their priorities unless required by their funding source. Dealing with public access is messy and expensive and many landowners are predominantly interested in the protecting lands from future development while retaining their current rights including privacy. Thus, many easements have zero public access rights and even when there are public rights include,d like on Forest Legacy funded projects, the landowners and easement owners may elect not make this public or make provisions for public access.

Last edited:
Without digging up the original controversy, I will comment on a very common misunderstanding of the general public on easements in general. If you look at various databases of "conservation"easements in the region it looks like there are lot of them https://site.tplgis.org/NCED/interactivemap/ ripe for the visit. Unfortunately for the general public, an easement in no way guarantees any rights to public access. When a landowner sells an easement, he is selling a set of particular rights and only those rights to a third party. That third party then owns those rights into perpetuity and is required to ensure that the rights are protected. The third party is not allowed to expand those rights, only the current owner of the land can do so. Conservation easements can be quite loose or quite broad and in many cases the organizations buying easements are very focused on what they want to accomplish at the least cost, and public access is quite low on their priorities unless required by their funding source. Dealing with public access is messy and expensive and many landowners are predominantly interested in the protecting lands from future development while retaining their current rights including privacy. Thus, many easements have zero public access rights and even when there are public rights include,d like on Forest Legacy funded projects, the landowners and easement owners may elect not make this public or make provisions for public access.
Thank you for making this point. Having been involved with a local conservation trust I can relate to what you are saying here. I think many hear the term "Conservation" an automatically acquaint that with Public Access. Also when much of the time it is also tied to public donations and or tax relief the perception is there is a given right of carte blanche. The fact is as you have already stated Conservation Land can take on many forms and with that different forms of use. Also the bylaws much of the time of a given conservation are coupled with terms of use. If those bylaws are not followed access to a give conservation land can be restricted. It's not always a wide open door.

I have to assume that most folks on VFTT have been around long enough to remember the original saga of the Trail Bandit map, but here's the take from Mr. Garrison himself:

http://trailbandit.org/OMRant.html

Thanks for this. It was interesting reading. I was pretty much unaware of all this. I just use the LRCT trails. I'm a member because I think they do a great job with those trails.

I've only driven into that range (to Conner Pond once). It's really a large and seemingly wild area given its somewhat southerly location.

Staples does or did have the capability to print large scale maps. If you could get someone to download it to USB stick just stop by at the business desk. Unfortunately the resulting map will not have the same durability as the originals but folding it and keeping it in large ziplock usually works.

Fedex Office (the old Kinkos) has the same capabilities

Printed TB maps can also be ordered through his website. One may or may not want to offer him financial support, but they are available.

Printed TB maps can also be ordered through his website. One may or may not want to offer him financial support, but they are available.

I'll look into that, I confess to having a map fetish. My house has maps hanging in every room, just love them. His map is very good, I read the link you posted that he wrote. Quite interesting, but I'm not even going to try and get into the politics of the Ossipee's, I just enjoy hiking in them.