Fastest known time.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like I'm reading all these comments and thinking - yeah, yeah, I agree, yup, same here. So when I make the point to pick out the line that gives me disaccord it is in the background of harmony.
But I must disagree w/ the conclusion that the only thing that matters is that one's soul is connected to the mts. My soul is not connected to the mts but to the Creator of the Mountains. :)

Seems like I'm reading all these comments and thinking - yeah, yeah, I agree, yup, same here. So when I make the point to pick out the line that gives me disaccord it is in the background of harmony.
But I must disagree w/ the conclusion that the only thing that matters is that one's soul is connected to the mts. My soul is not connected to the mts but to the Creator of the Mountains. :)

:) I won't argue that. I might suggest that perhaps soul conections are more like webs than chains and may be connected to both or that Mountains may also be a channel between the two. Of course, this is all one's personal belief and experience now.

To add something more specifically on topic, I think bushwhacking the ADK46 is a very cool idea, whether original or not. Personally, I follow the no-GPS "ruling" on my bushwhacks (which I have been on break from for a few years but am feeling the bug more and more again) but this is simply because I like the challenge of finding my way with map, compass, and some dead reckoning.

In terms of speed records (and I like to go fast too), I'm impressed with the physical stamina, strength, and mental fortitude it takes to break a speed record in the Whites or ADKs, but what I would find really compelling would be something like a three-year thru-hike without extended break or someone who, instead of doing the 46 or 48 unsupported as fast as possible, took 3 weeks. :eek: Endurance tends to get my attention over speed.

Either way, I like reading about the ways people experience the mountains and enjoy the variety in their chosen paths.

I do find myself defending peakbagging to those who think it means you lack a certain love or connection to the mountains however. BS. :D

BUT I must disagree on the statement that " setting forth one's own personal rules is very important in order to assure a consistent experience throughout the endeavor of bushwhacking to the top of each peak. "

In other words, "don't let the tail wag the dog". Makes a lot of sense to me.

My tail is wagging lots now! Raven, I think we should recruit you to join us for a bushwhack!! Where do you live? Sounds like you'd mesh just fine. Interested?

oops - I see you are from NH - prob a bit far... but if you do get over to the adks, let me know

My tail is wagging lots now! Raven, I think we should recruit you to join us for a bushwhack!! Where do you live? Sounds like you'd mesh just fine. Interested?

oops - I see you are from NH - prob a bit far... but if you do get over to the adks, let me know

Sounds like fun. I get over to the Salmon River/Pulaski about once a year, not too far south. If I am coming over that way, and can manage, bushwhacking in the ADKs would be awesome.

Sometimes, I lurk the NY forum just to see what's going on over there...I grew up in the Southern Tier.

Speaking of bushwhacks. Does this count Mme. iceNsnow? :D

Garden-Shorey Short Cut-Basin Ampitheatre-Basin Slides-Sawteeth-Weld Trail-AMR Road-St-Huberts parking area. (Bushwhacking is in purple).

If interested it's this Saturday.

(Wag the Dog with Hoffman was a good flick.)

I wouldn't expect anything less from you Neil! We must climb the mts b/c they are there. :)

Sat. we have plans so I will need to read your report instead.... but that may take as long as the hike??:eek:

Basin's amphitheater is a pretty neat place. Odly enough it is a very easy bushwhack to get to it, above is another story altogether!

So there are lists and there are Lists and there is the list that counts which is whatever goal we set for ourselves. How could it count for somebody else, since no one will be able to follow exactly the same route under similar conditions and I have not even thinking of the flies that can drive one crazy while hugging the tender loving spruce trees.

Flies

Oddly enough I have only been plagued by flies (deer flies) on one hike this summer.

Raven (have you read "Mind of the Raven"?), speaking of making one's own lists the ADK46-B is actually nested within my own personal list of 125 (or 128) peaks that is an amalgamation of 4 lists, in whole or in part, each of which using slightly different criteria regarding col depth, distances rules, and whether or not there is a path or private property anywhere on the mountain.

I'm in the 120's but somewhere around 110 as whacks. Still need Moose, McKenzie, Averill, Lyon and Noonmark as whacks plus 10 of the 46.

I will not go back and re-do the list from each of the 4 compass points, barefoot, on full moons, in every month of the year, backwards......

Speaking of bushwhacks. Does this count Mme. iceNsnow? :D

Garden-Shorey Short Cut-Basin Ampitheatre-Basin Slides-Sawteeth-Weld Trail-AMR Road-St-Huberts parking area. (Bushwhacking is in purple).

If interested it's this Saturday.

(Wag the Dog with Hoffman was a good flick.)

I think you know these all count on "my SWN list" I am looking forward to joining you on this holy mother of elevation gained and lost and gained again:eek:

I am looking forward to joining you on this holy mother of elevation gained and lost and gained again:eek:

Regarding elevation, it is better to have gained and lost than not to have lost at all.

Raven (have you read "Mind of the Raven"?), speaking of making one's own lists the ADK46-B is actually nested within my own personal list of 125 (or 128) peaks that is an amalgamation of 4 lists, in whole or in part, each of which using slightly different criteria regarding col depth, distances rules, and whether or not there is a path or private property anywhere on the mountain.

I've not read "Mind of the Raven" but may have seen a documentary/interview about it IIRC. Watched them figure out how to use a tool to open something to get food. Fascinating birds. I've heard great things about the book though.

Sounds like a cool list.