Colorado hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
I want to go and visit my sister in June, and want to do some hiking with her while I am visiting. She lives in Colorado Springs.

I've never been out there :eek:, so any advice or suggestions for places to hike?

She doesn't hike, at all. But she has graciously said she would go, if it gets me out there to visit! (I did offer to carry all our gear, so it is easier on her.)
My brother in law, who I love dearly, told me after 'hiking' Aretheusa Falls that he thought I was trying to kill him, so I think he is out for any hiking. ;)

So, some hikes will need to be a little on the 'easier' side.
But I want to do some 14K while out there too, most likely solo.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, backpacking is ok for me, but doubt I could talk her into sleeping in a tent... so it would be solo.

Looking forward to seeing some different VFTT's!

:rolleyes:

Canyonlands or Mountain Passes

Take her to Canyonlands National Park on the Utah/Colorado border. The trails are good for non-hikers and the views are great. Otherwise I would just drive to a mountain pass (there are tons of those in Colorado) park the car and just hike around there. You will get your high altitude fix and won't wear out your friend.

I haven't done much hiking near Colorado Springs, but I can attest to the fact that these books are awesome:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Summit-Hikes-Colorado-Little-Known/dp/0899974082

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Hikes...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296234682&sr=1-1

And this one literally came out this week:

http://www.amazon.com/Colorados-Fou...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296234734&sr=1-1

If you can make it as far as the Durango area, I can make recommendations.

Also, an FYI, most if not all 14-ers are likely to have some snow left in June (probably rotten snow). Rocky Mountain National Park may have some significant snow left in parts or all of that park.

Manitou Springs, no too far away. The famous Barr trail is a very even footed trail. It could take you all the way up Pikes Peak. We only went a couple miles up Mt. Manitou to see the top of the Manitou Springs Incline. Athletes train here.

This hike is a great preview to hiking in Colorado.
Dave

14ers.com is your du jour Colorado hiking resource. :)

WOW! great site, thanks for the link.

Gotta get some work done, but lookls like I will be searching that site for lots of good info for my trip! Thanks!

:)

Keep the info coming.

I'll probably hike with the sister for a day or 2, then hike on my own for a few days, then hike with her again before I leave. Oh, and get some motorcycle riding in while I am there too. They may be 'Harley' people, but they will borrow a Ducati Monster for me to ride, now that's LOVE!

:rolleyes:

I'll probably hike with the sister for a day or 2, then hike on my own for a few days, then hike with her again before I leave.

Pikes Peak is right there, of course, for your 14er fix, and without a long drive. From CO Springs, you're not that far from the Crestones, either, which are significantly more challenging peaks (exception: Humboldt). You could also hit the Collegiate Peaks near Buena Vista -- Yale, Harvard, and Princeton are all good ones for easier 14ers, and you could be creative with some backpacking options there.

Beware of snow conditions in June; some trails/routes may still have deep snow, especially in early June.

Mountain passes

The tip on the mountain passes is a good one. Check out maps to get off the main roads. A 4 WD or high clearance vehicle will get you more access. I took my kids to the top of Boreas pass (SE of Breckenridge) while on a summer vacation some years ago in late June and it was great to hike above tree line (with spotty snow). Even your brother-in-law might like it!

When I lived there in the 80's the National Forest maps were best. I believe Nat Geo now makes good maps but you may need several. See
http://www.natgeomaps.com/ti_colorado.html

There are probably hiking clubs or "meet up" groups to connect with to get either more info or to join for a hike. Stop into the local outdoor shop when you arrive and they'll have good current info. With a 4 WD there are many dirt roads that offer attractive car camping opportunities.

Definitely explore Garden of the Gods.

Hey, if you need a hiking partner while you're out here, hit me up. I'm in Denver for the past couple years (on and off), and I love playing hiking tour-guide. Some photos from some recent local trips (Flat Tops, Rocky Mountain) are in here - http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=433526195272

And don't forget that sis's lungs have the "acclimated to elevation" advantage, so she might be ok with venturing further than Garden of the Gods! :)
--Mark

Last edited:
Colorado

Love it. We did Ouray in July and caught all the wild flowers in the mountains. I was freekin awesome! Right outside Ouray is a hike called Bridge to Heaven. Oh my it sure was! No input regarding where you are going on what to see but it shouldn't be difficult finding a hike to do. One of the most beautiful places but I'm a wus and hate hate hate those mountain roads with no shoulders and no guard rails. You'll love it but the altitute def will affect you. I found myself short of wind sometimes out of nowhere walking up the street. The scenery also takes your breath away.
If you go to http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=30979&id=1753129082&saved (my facebook page) the pics after the coyote are all of ouray. i have a ton more but just haven't gotten them up.

Finally a question I can help with!

My wife, a non hiker, and I visited my son and his wife, also non-hikers, in Aurora (just SE of Denver) last June. I wanted to find an easy 14'er for us all to try, with the understanding we may or may not make it to the top.

After pouring over the 14'ers website, I settled on Mt Bierstadt. It was the perfect hike for a first timer to Colorado (me), as well as for the inexperienced hikers. It's 7 miles roundtrip and is mostly easy, with a steep section for the last 3/4 of a mile or so. The views were fantastic and everyone had a good time. I highly recommend this hike for a first time in CO.
Besides, a mountain name that translates as "beer-stadium" has to be good! :D

Buddy

Wow! It just moved Quandary up on my list. I am planning to do some Colorado hiking including 14ers later this summer, mostly front range area, but this dog sounds too cool to miss out on.

go for it!

so many places, so little time. If your sister and the in-law want to get away from town and don't mind some driving, take them out to Great Sand Dunes. A 3 hour ride probably. I have never been but I want someone to go there
and tell me about it :) but basically a bunch of mountain-sized sand dunes against the dramatic and striking peaks of the Sangre de Cristo range. San Luis Valley would be nice and warm too, at that time of year.

From '80 to '87 I lived in Ft Collins and also in the Steamboat area and could recommend several good hikes in those areas, hikes more of a no-name, local flavor (But those areas would probably be out of the range of where you'll want to go)
But I also remember not being able to get to the FS cabin at Summit Creek (Hahns Peak RD) until July because the roads could/would not be plowed until then so if your interest lies within the FS boundries, call a local FS district to inquire about road access. Probably a website nowadays.

If you do have a chance to get out for some solo hiking, and want to get up on a 14'er or two that isn't Pikes Peak, I know for a fact that Alma CO offers several easy walk-ups: Mts Democrat and Bross (often done together as a loop), and Mts Lincoln and Cameron are right next door. Quandary PK is a standalone and a fun straight forward peak.

I climbed Bross in '97 and Quandary in '01 (I did not have the pleasure of meeting Horton, that would have been a hoot!) both times in June. Easy road access. Alma is about 90 miles from the Springs.

And you could stop into the Alma's Only Bar afterward for a brew (if its still there)

There is a stand of ancient Bristlecone Pines on the lower slopes and ridges of Mt Bross (Windy Ridge Bristlecone Pines). Interesting.

All this about 90 minutes from where you will be.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Another cool area that is to the south of CO Springs is the Cuchura and Spanish Peaks area. It has a very different feel than a lot of areas in CO and the views from the top of W. Spanish Peak are unique due to its position on the front range. Make sure you hit the Dog Bar in Cuchura for beer and awesome pizza after the hike:D

Rather than make a new thread, I'll ask here. I'm looking to move to Denver in about 4 or 5 years. Since Denver is a pretty big place and there are mountains not too far away, I'm wondering... can I get from Denver to any great hiking places via bus and/or other public transportation?