Winter Boots ????

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alistair

Reaction score
I wouldn't want to hike in my mountaineering boots unless I was doing something technical. I have both types and I very much prefer wearing the winter hiker over the mountaineering. The analogy I would use is: wearing mountaineering boots in winter is like wearing rock climbing shoes in summer, sure they're better in some situations, but overall the regular boots are much more comfortable.

I know some people who have the Garmont GTX Momentum's and they are really happy with them.

I tried a pair on but sadly they weren't a good fit for my foot.

My husband and another friend hike in Salomon insulated boots and they love them. I believe they come in 200 and 400g thinsulate models.

I have a pair of Merrell Thermo 8's that I've been wearing for the fourth winter. They are pretty nice boot and work well with crampons.

I've tried Mountaineering Plastics (Koflach Degre) in the past and they were a disaster, too stiff, too heavy, really uncomfortable, although some people swear by them.

Guess it all really depends on your foot type.

Have them both. Used the Nepal's for 3 years before adding the Garmont's last year.

They are equally warm - for my feet anyways. I've done some running down trails in both - the Nepal's flex enough to run in, but are heavy compared to the Garmont's.

Garmont's take a strapon crampon, while the Nepal's allow you to use a stepin crampon which are quicker and easier to put on.

The Nepal's are stiff enough to use for ice climbing.

Before the Nepals I used plastic boots - the Nepals felt like putting on a pair of slippers after use plastics!

If you are mostly hiking the 4K's the Garmonts are less $$$, lighter, and more comfortable. If you think you want to add ice work you will want the Nepal's.

I have a pair of Scarpa Inferno mountaineering boots. They are warm and comfortable but too heavy to use for long, hard days (like Rainier). Off to consignment they'll go.

This weekend, after realizing that my Garmount GTX winter boots were really too narrow for my foot, I purchased a pair of the high-top 400 gram Keen boots. (Off to consignment they'll go, too.)

I'm a little concerned that the Keen might flex too much, but my feet won't be cold and the toe width is good, so I won't have that darned forefoot pain.

A downside is that the Keen model I wanted is only available in a men's model. I fit the men's size 9.

I wear Lasprotiva " Lhostes" they are like a level lower then the nepals and I love them, been using them for 7years now and they have plenty of life in them.

I too have both boots. For me the Nepal fit my feet like no other boot I've ever had. Great quality but that come at a big cost in dollars. The Garmont are a great bang for the buck. I did have some serious break in pain with the Garmont. The Top of boot left some huge welts on the side of my lower leg. I personally like the Nepal better. Yes they are heavier, but the fit on my feet is so sweet. Also go with what fits best.

I've been using the Nepal's for several years now for both winter hiking and ice climbing. They're a great boot. I do wear chemical warmers in them when the temps are in single digits or below.

I guess I got to rent a pair of Nepals and try a test hike.

I'm just not sure if they are overkill for the Adirondack winter hiking that I do. :confused:

I have a pair of Scarpa Inferno mountaineering boots. They are warm and comfortable but too heavy to use for long, hard days (like Rainier). Off to consignment they'll go.

This weekend, after realizing that my Garmount GTX winter boots were really too narrow for my foot, I purchased a pair of the high-top 400 gram Keen boots. (Off to consignment they'll go, too.)

I'm a little concerned that the Keen might flex too much, but my feet won't be cold and the toe width is good, so I won't have that darned forefoot pain.

A downside is that the Keen model I wanted is only available in a men's model. I fit the men's size 9.

I love my keens I was doing avy training in some cold weather this weekend lots of standing around and my feet were warm. Most of the group was wearing the nepals and some complained of cold. They do flex quite a bit but they pair pretty well IMO with grivel g10s and mircospikes

I wouldn't want to hike in my mountaineering boots unless I was doing something technical. I have both types and I very much prefer wearing the winter hiker over the mountaineering. The analogy I would use is: wearing mountaineering boots in winter is like wearing rock climbing shoes in summer, sure they're better in some situations, but overall the regular boots are much more comfortable.

Pretty much sums it up...

That's exactly why I returned the Garmont's. I didn't want to suffer through a break in period. Trail runners have spoiled me with "out of the box" comfort!

:)

IM currently breaking in a pair of Lasportive Makalues for the coming summer, it takes about 150 miles until they are somewhat comfortable, in the mean time, I use athletic tape covered with duck tape on my heals and remember " Pain is your friend":eek:

Never broke in my La Sportiva Nepals or Garmonts. Just put them on and went hiking. Never any issues. Ditto for any trail runner.

The Garmonts are designed for a foot that has more volume. I use a thicker custom orthodic and still had to add a thin foam footbed to them to take up the slack.

Everybodies feet are differant - go to EMS, REI and any other store you can find and try differant boots on to see what fits the best.

Do people ever use Mickey Mouse boots anymore?

That's funny, I just went back and forth with PMs with Doug Paul about Mouse boots. I remember seeing them at EMS in like 1973 and apparently Doug Paul has used them. Sportsman's Guide has a good selection. Rubber inside and out, insulation between. Warm but chunky and your feet will be in a puddle of water. I decided they'd be good for ice fishing and maybe snowmobiling, but not hiking or mountaineering.

When I was heading to Yellowstone several winters ago, Mouse boots were recommended to me. I found a selection of them at the Army supply store in Conway, NH, but I didn't end up getting them. I brought my basic Kamik boot (-40 rating) and it ended up being a pretty warm week anyway.

Since getting my Koflach degrees at the beginning of my second year of winter hiking I have used nothing but during winter conditions. I do find that my toenails take a beating, but I guess I got used to it somewhere along the way ....

That's funny, I just went back and forth with PMs with Doug Paul about Mouse boots. I remember seeing them at EMS in like 1973 and apparently Doug Paul has used them. Sportsman's Guide has a good selection. Rubber inside and out, insulation between. Warm but chunky and your feet will be in a puddle of water. I decided they'd be good for ice fishing and maybe snowmobiling, but not hiking or mountaineering.

When I was in Alaska a few years ago I attended a presentation by a fellow who had summited Denali. Those were the boots he used. He thought they were great. I've seen them in the Army Surplus in Conway but have never owned a pair.

If you're thinking of insulated leather boots I would give a resounding second to Kevin Rooney's often suggested Cabella's Avalanche boots. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Foot...=PPC;RCcat104797080;cat104826780;cat103959180 I do own a pair and they are outstanding--rugged, warm and extremely comfortable. At the price they are a best buy.