Looking for Double Boot Advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BISCUT

Reaction score
Short of it, life took me outa the mountains for about a decade. During that time I had sold my Koflac artic exped's and now am in the market for a new pair of double boots. What say you? Lets start with price as no option first.

There are plenty of choices and plenty of websites that you can search to find out what's available. Trying on boots in a local store is the standard practice, but I would not hesitate to buy a pair online, have them shipped to my house and return them if they don't fit.

REI, Backcountry, Mountaingear and Moosejaw have good selections of single and double mountaineering boots.

Gotcha, yes they have good selection and Moosejaw matches any of the competitor pricing. Whitacker Mountaineering is also good. I was looking more for "I use XXX and love em or hate em kinda info.

The most popular double plastic mountaineering boots among AMC leaders in the Boston chapter are:
1. Koflach Degre
2. Scarpa Inverno
3. (distant) Koflach Arctis Expe
This is for "standard winter conditions" on a NH 4000 footer. Use that information as you will.

I've heard consistent strongly positive reviews of all three among my hiking companions. The only complaints I've heard center on individual fit. I wear Koflach Verticals - they were more of a hybrid between the Degres and Arctis Expes with certain features designed specifically for ice climbing. They're not made anymore, but I really like them. I'll Check out the 3 options above once I'm on the market again.

Brian

p.s. There are nuances regarding the other winter boot options, especially the various technical and non-technical single layer winter boots, but since you didn't ask about them I won't go there.

"I use XXX and love em or hate em kinda info."

What are you planning to use them for?

I used plastic double boots for general winter hiking (not ice climbing) for many years before knowing any better. They are expensive, heavy and clunky, and I once stress fractured my fibula on the blasted things. Now I am much happier with Vasque Snowburbans, Salomon Snowtrips, or Columbia somethin-or-others when it's not as cold. I winter hike a lot, but when it's *really* cold, like below zero F, I don't go anymore!

While many people have moved on from plastics, some still wear them. If at all possible, International Mountain Equipment in North Conway has a bunch of plastics in the consignment area and would save you some dough. If you really want new boots, come to the future and look at Lasportiva boots, they are way more comfortable and out perform plastics on every level.

I too gave up on plastic boots long ago. They didn't fit in any of my equipment, cut my daily mileage substantially and in general abused my feet and shins. I have a nice pair of size 13 scarpas that I need to sell one of these days.

While many people have moved on from plastics, some still wear them. If at all possible, International Mountain Equipment in North Conway has a bunch of plastics in the consignment area and would save you some dough. If you really want new boots, come to the future and look at Lasportiva boots, they are way more comfortable and out perform plastics on every level.

I'm a huge LaSportiva fan. I have 3 pairs; Omegas, Makalu (2nd pair over 10 years), and Nepals. Love the Nepals but my feet get cold in them once it's around the -5F mark. I have an email out to superfeet to see if they could have something to give me a little warmth boost. I'm using Smartwook PHD sox. When I was younger and a whole lot dumber, I didnt manage my cold and wet feet in very cold conditions on Mt. Adams. Needless to say, LL Bean Cresta hikers in those frigid conditions was not anywhere near as prepared as I should have been. Spent hours in my sleeping bag shaking and shaking and shaking. I was very lucky, lets leave it at that. BUT my feet do tend to get cold and I believe it to be a direct result of the aforementioned frozen toes.

There are plenty of times the temps dip below the -5 mark during winter int he White's. I'm open to any suggestions, and don't go in the cold isn't one of em!

Rock and Snow in New Paltz. But unless you are camping, don't bother.

Tom, I've been there. Nice store with a lot more of a selection I would have thought. I know they have plenty of boots but hard to get a independent store to stock size 13 in a few different options to try on. Especially since some of the winter boots seem to be "buy a size higher" putting me at 14. I heard there is an REI in Yonkers, NY so I might have to drive a little south and see what they have.

I can commiserate on the "go a size larger) to get the width. When I was on a search for wide boots, I found the Scarpa lasts marginally wider and others who found the same. The bummer for my very wide feet (13 4 E) is that I need to go two sizes larger and then my toes are a couple of inches back from the front points. There was a ski shop in north Conway recommended by IME that claimed they could stretch plastic boots to gain width but my experience was poor. I used to live with the Scarpas and end up with blisters and bruises on the side of my feet but since then I quite happy with my New Balance 1099s and grivel crampons. In real cold conditions I use vapor barriers and toe heaters on rare occasions.

The mountaineer in Keene NY used to have a good rental inventory but I haven't been there for years.

I can commiserate on the "go a size larger) to get the width. When I was on a search for wide boots, I found the Scarpa lasts marginally wider and others who found the same.

I am another large/wide footed individual and have found the scarpa boots to fit as well. I currently own the Phantom Guide (sz 47), but if I were in the market for a new pair of boots, I would spend the extra money, get the phantom 6000 and then pay for heat-molded intuition liners. Keep in mind that both of these boots are expensive to the point of absurdity.

Mountaineer in Keene Valley had enough "xl" boots for me to try on 3-4 models in the store.

My first attempt will be the superfeet and new trials with the Nepal Evo's. My old ones were not gore-tex and apparently the newer model is not only gore-tex but is suppose to be warmer. The Nepal Cube might have been the cats meow for me, but it wasnt out when I bought my last pair!

I should just clarify, I don't mean to go against my op asking for double boot advice but since posting superfeet got back to me with the potential of warmer feel so sure seems worth a try.

Last edited:
"Keep in mind that both of these boots are expensive to the point of absurdity."

Crikey!

They cost more than my first car! Admittedly, my first car would not start if it was raining... but still!

Short of it, life took me outa the mountains for about a decade. During that time I had sold my Koflac artic exped's and now am in the market for a new pair of double boots. What say you? Lets start with price as no option first.

And to add almost no help, I have Koflac Artic Expes. I use them once a year these days if that. With Grivel G-10's that fit on other more comfortable boots, I don't find too many occasions where I need them. As has been said, they can take a toll on your leg muscles from the weight and on your shin bones from the stiffness and impact.

I got them in the consignment room at IME in North Conway for near half price. They may have been used once before that (like a lot of expedition gear).

Since price is no object, you can have them for $1000. ;)