Views from Prospect, Fitch, or Williams?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
I was intending to hike Greylock from the North Adams airport with an overnight, but it doesn't look like I'll have the time. So I'm looking at alternates... which one of those three would be the most interesting as an afternoon dayhike from Wilburs clearing? The plan is to stash my pack near the campsite, do the dayhike from there, spend the night, and an easy hike back to the airport. Does Wilburs clearing get crowded? Are bears much of a problem there?

I was intending to hike Greylock from the North Adams airport with an overnight, but it doesn't look like I'll have the time. So I'm looking at alternates... which one of those three would be the most interesting as an afternoon dayhike from Wilburs clearing? The plan is to stash my pack near the campsite, do the dayhike from there, spend the night, and an easy hike back to the airport. Does Wilburs clearing get crowded? Are bears much of a problem there?

From the airport, your best choice would probably be to hike the AT up Prospect, camp at Wilbur's campsite and hike back the same way the next day. I think there's a bear box at the campsite and would not expect many other campers. You should call the Visitor's Center for more info: https://www.mass.gov/location-details/camping-at-mount-greylock

As far as views go, the best view is at the junction of the AT and Mt. Prospect trail.

Last edited:
May be no reason to go beyond the view and the campsite as the next best views are on the Greylock summit you said you had no time for. It would only be a couple of hours of easy hiking or easy to moderate grades to get though.

Every time I've hiked Greylock I've seen a bear, the last time going up Prospect from the Money Brook Trail.

IMO Prospect and Williams have similar views, Fitch has no views at all.

Ok, thanks. Sounds like heading towards Williams makes sense and return via old summit road, or go farther south toward Fitch/Greylock if I have time. Really, this is just a short shakedown trip to see how all the gear packs in the plane (an old open cockpit biplane) before a longer trip to Marcy Field later on.

I finally did this trip. Flew up to North Adams on Saturday morning arriving around noon (I got a late start, finally reached the AT trailhead around 1:30), went up Prospect (quite the uphill slog, switchback city) and down to Wilbur's Clearing. Lots of other hikers and campers, not a bad campsite but all the tent sites were crammed WAY too close together. I found myself a spot out on the edge of the camping area. Saw no bears, but I did leave my food in the campsite bear box. Out by the same route Sunday morning, a good burger at the Trail House restaurant near the airport (since I was flying I couldn't sample any of the interesting looking local beers, bummer), and flew home. Learned a lot about packing backpacking gear in the plane's limited space and camera management (I wanted to film much of the trip but much of the footage wasn't useful).

Passing Greylock on the way in:

20210911_115616_Moment_passing-greylock.jpg

Passing over Mt. Prospect, the campsite is about where the wing wires cross:

20210911_115552_Moment_over-prospect.jpg

Prospect (right) and Williams (left) from the airport.

20210911_122012_Moment_mts-from-airport.jpg

The viewpoint on Prospect Mt. at the trail junction:

20190601_000030_Moment_view-from-prospect.jpg

Life is certainly filled with decisions and priorities.

Neat trip report, I guess if you fly by Greylock, you kind of get the best of both worlds, a better view from the Greylock summit with the Greylock summit.