How “Essential” Are the Ten Essentials? According to This Study: Not Very

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiguy

Reaction score
Interesting line of logic. Leave it to a PhD to come up with it. But not sure if I agree. This kind of sums it up to quote.

“Nowadays with lightweight stuff, you can almost carry all of these in under 5 pounds,” Daniel says. “If I’m hiking or backpacking solo, I tend to carry more items than if I’m in a group of people or if I’m on a hike where I know there’s a cell phone signal".

https://www.backpacker.com/survival...Z0fG-GKE1QdspjnKitgiFuSeYsAOErKBSGgd7kyLKiEJw

Last edited:
I think studying the necessity/effectiveness of "The Essentials" is a great idea but I'm not sure I'd put much weight in what seems more like an opinion poll of with a very limited sample size.

I don't know if "logic" is how I would classify this. Backpacker magazine really seems to have some laughably stupid articles. This survey really makes no effort to establish any kind of causality with a "problem" and having/not having one of the 10 essentials. I'm not sure I'd classify "hungry" as being a problem for a 2-4 hour hike. Overly simplistic assessment of this topic, which gets acknowledged by the author at the end. Feels like click bait garbage to me, although I took the bait and read it so....

Let's use my November Incident as an example. I happened to get a "rescue lite" but about 8 weeks earlier I was up in BSP near the spur on the North Brother trail when I rolled the same ankle (and walked out). I had two companions on the BSP hike but have done the same hike solo. I seriously doubt the cell phone would have been of much use unless there was someone around to hike to the North Brother summit to hope they catch a signal on a tower. I did have my satellite beacon which has a GPS locator and I expect it would have worked. I think the typical response time for these units is around 3 hours before the local S&R folks got notified. Meanwhile I was hiking in shorts and T-shirt despite some winds both days. The highest priority was getting warm. In both cases I did not have a foam sitting pad but I did have spare layers. On Wildcat I started putting on warmer clothing as I was starting to shiver. I kept doing so until the ski patrol folks came by and as soon as I got on the ATV they handed me blanket. Where I was lacking was the ability to pull on a base layer over my mangled foot. I was considering slicing my merino wool bottom so I could at least get it over my good leg. I also had a rescue blanket bivy bag but it also would need a slice. Had I been at BSP, my guess is I would have needed some external way of keeping warm long before anyone from S&R showed up. It was a mid September week on a weekday at BSP so not a lot of folks on the trail (there happened to be trail crew on North Brother that day but that was luck) With some effort, I probably could have dragged myself off the side of the trail and found some dead wood to light. I do carry a trioxane fire starter bar in my pack and it will usually light any dead wood even if damp. Odds are the event would have gone into the dark so a light would have been handy but maybe not essential. I am unsure if I could stomach food but I had some cliff bars. I did have some spare water. I did not have rain pants but did have a goretex raincoat. I had a map and compass and the ability to use it but since I was not going anywhere in this case not much use except for fire starting.

IMHO except for the lack of a pad, a large amount of my gear could have been essential for my accident. One thing I rethink was if I should have gobbled down a bunch of Advil I had in the pack as soon as I broke it. I was probably in shock and it really didnt hurt anywhere near what it should have but the Ski Patrol folks suggested that if I had any they would assist me in taking it.

Even before the accident, it has always raised my hackles a bit seeing trail runners several miles in the woods with a hydration bladder on the back with a pocket that might hold a wallet, car keys and cell phone. At one point, a VFTT member tried to argue that trail runners were superior athletes and did not need as much gear as us lowly hikers but anyone can land a foot wrong and end their mobility no matter what their condition. I do encounter trail runners who do have the gear but observationally they seem to be a minority. My thought is these under equipped folks are relying on a warped impression on how quickly they may be rescued. The reality is they had better hope someone with the right gear stumbles upon them to keep any eye on them for what could be hours before S&R ends up on scene.

Last edited:
I don't know if "logic" is how I would classify this. Backpacker magazine really seems to have some laughably stupid articles. This survey really makes no effort to establish any kind of causality with a "problem" and having/not having one of the 10 essentials. I'm not sure I'd classify "hungry" as being a problem for a 2-4 hour hike. Overly simplistic assessment of this topic, which gets acknowledged by the author at the end. Feels like click bait garbage to me, although I took the bait and read it so....

Totally agree. This list is much more grounded IMO.
To Quote the article: "The most important essential , however, is not on the list--"Common Sense". Having the right gear is one thing, knowing how and when to use it is quite another. Most often, it's not a person's equipment that saves their bacon. It's their experience, know-how, and good judgment.

Conversely, it is generally inexperience and lack of good judgment that gets people into trouble. Not only must we have the proper equipment -- including the ten essentials plus four -- and know how to use them, but we must also cultivate knowledge and wisdom related to the backcountry activities that we engage in--thru self-study, courses, and leveraging off the experiences of others".

https://www.backpacking.net/ten-essl.html

Had I been at BSP, my guess is I would have needed some external way of keeping warm long before anyone from S&R showed up....I probably could have dragged myself off the side of the trail and found some dead wood to light. I do carry a trioxane fire starter bar in my pack and it will usually light any dead wood even if damp......My thought is these under equipped folks are relying on a warped impression on how quickly they may be rescued. The reality is they had better hope someone with the right gear stumbles upon them to keep any eye on them for what could be hours before S&R ends up on scene.

What is your opinion of relying on a being able to start and sustain a fire in those conditions?

I used to stop during my hikes in the forest and practice trying to establish and sustain a fire. I got a lot better at it (wood shavings from processing twigs through a pencil sharpener !) but I certainly can't claim to be able to start a fire under any conditions. And finding dry fuel in the winter was always a lot of work and many times I gave up trying since it wasn't a real survival situation. So I lost more than one fire due no more, easily found, dry fuel.

I reluctantly came to the conclusion that I need to bring enough food and insulation to survive being benighted.

PS I read that pencil sharpener idea somewhere and I had previously cut myself pretty good (pretty bad?) using my pocket knife feathering a branch, so it caught my eye and it works great.

Last edited:
IMHO except for the lack of a pad

To me, a pad is one of the most underrated items out there. Even just a piece of one, no matter the situation (rescue or not), I love my pad. I took an old Ridge-Rest and cut it down to 2x2. I can put in IN my pack to ensure nothing is poking me, or strap it tightly outside. Stand on it in the winter when cooking. Sit on it anywhere...no matter the surface you have a cushion either on summit rocks, trailside, a beach, or a seat in the snow.. I sit on it on bleachers, kneel on it in my yard or when doing carpentry. It floats (I've passed items back and forth on it in silent water). Dries quickly. Weighs virtually nothing. During one accident we wrapped someone's lower leg with it and helped make a splint with some poles.

I've had this same piece for over 20 years, and it's gone from Newfoundland to Alaska with me, literally across the continent.

I plan to rest my butt on it when I'm buried :)

Totally agree. This list is much more grounded IMO.
To Quote the article: "The most important essential , however, is not on the list--"Common Sense". Having the right gear is one thing, knowing how and when to use it is quite another. Most often, it's not a person's equipment that saves their bacon. It's their experience, know-how, and good judgment.

Conversely, it is generally inexperience and lack of good judgment that gets people into trouble. Not only must we have the proper equipment -- including the ten essentials plus four -- and know how to use them, but we must also cultivate knowledge and wisdom related to the backcountry activities that we engage in--thru self-study, courses, and leveraging off the experiences of others".

https://www.backpacking.net/ten-essl.html

As I think about it, the whole methodology of this "study" is a bit screwy.

Most respondents report: "I had an uneventful hike and thus did not need or use many of the Ten Essentials." Well, yeah!

I think the cohort studied should have been folks who did have some unexpected event occur on a hike. And the question should have been:
"Which if any of the essentials did you need or use."

Obviously you don't "need" or use most of them untill a hike goes south.

As I think about it, the whole methodology of this "study" is a bit screwy.

Most respondents report: "I had an uneventful hike and thus did not need or use many of the Ten Essentials." Well, yeah!

I think the cohort studied should have been folks who did have some unexpected event occur on a hike. And the question should have been:
"Which if any of the essentials did you need or use."

Obviously you don't "need" or use most of them untill a hike goes south.

Unfortunately "Common Sense" is not a gift everyone has and it sure is hard to teach it to some one. Most of us here probably have had a few experiences in the woods that were negatively reinforcing. Kind of like "I'll never do that again" or like "Wow I really should have brought more of that". In addition to "I had way too much of that". But leaving stuff behind that you would normally bring because your carrying a Cell Phone is just plain stupid.

I've never found the "ten essentials" list to be useful. I have my own list of gear to take on routine dayhikes and it has 40 items. The "ten essentials" list doesn't even include shoes. Duh....

I've never found the "ten essentials" list to be useful. I have my own list of gear to take on routine dayhikes and it has 40 items. The "ten essentials" list doesn't even include shoes. Duh....

I’ve seen more than one child of nature hiking barefoot in the Whites. Shoes not essential.

A Monadnock study does get a fair number of people, so a decent sample number, however, it's probably skewed between those who know it well and what they are doing & also those with nary a clue. It's certainly a short enough trip where barring injury, food would likely not be needed. (But how much does a (insert brand here) bar weigh, or even some cookies? I've always brought something)?

I would think you would get a different answer waiting at the Brother's lot (Marston Trailhead? it's been too long & I'm not looking it up.) at BSP but you'd have to wait a month to get 900 people.

Depending on the weather and time of year, Monadnock and Greylock, as well as Osceola or Tecumseh rarely would require much of the gear & most of us on the board who have been to these places many time could get by without the map.

Depending on the weather and time of year, Monadnock and Greylock, as well as Osceola or Tecumseh rarely would require much of the gear & most of us on the board who have been to these places many time could get by without the map.

A hike up Greylock in the summer takes about 2 hours, then you can stop at Bascom Lodge for a cheeseburger and beer before hiking back down.

Gros Morne to Denali. Pretty impressive. Oh the stories that pad could tell.:D

Gros Morne to the Arrigetch, but damn close! And, yes, it's seen a quite bit.