10/8 - Roaming Hale

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always enjoy your trip reports and Pics. Have you made the trek all the way through the Little River Valley to Guyout. If not you should because it would be right up your alley. There was a trail up that way years ago. I was up in there about ten years ago and there was still evidence of a trail having been there in spots. Have fun and enjoy!

Thanks, skiguy! I've been most of the way up that valley. Last year, I turned up the valley to South Twin and those slides. It's so wild! On the way up the valley, I saw the remains of an old logging camp and I saw visible signs of a logging road that could have been used as a trail. The brook-hop up the valley was quite long, and by the time I reached those slides on South Twin, I was getting a little loopy. Above the slide, I found the remains of what looked like a metal shed or shelter.

https://goo.gl/photos/qCXqfCeoaJogEy5v8

This year, I went up that valley and turned early to climb the big, SE slide on North Twin. That was a gorgeous day.

https://goo.gl/photos/MkDnzAsuD4AXFhEZ7

I'd love to return next year and head straight for the Guyot-Zealand col or those talus slopes on Zealand.

Dennis

terrific report - i always look forward to reading about your adventures - they are inspiration for my own adventures!!!!

quick question - your little river exploration - i am assuming the slides that are nearest S Twin (on the west fork of the Little River)? Not the other set of slides on the southwest fork? Last year I went south of both of those forks - headed towards Guyot - hunting for the old trail - nowhere near as interesting as your trek and I didn't find an tote roads or evidence of an old trail!!!!

Last edited:
Hey Becca! Thanks! Those slides on S. Twin I visited are just South of the summit. There were a few branches of the Little River that headed west. I think it was the second branch when I headed south.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...828171,-71.5436521,16z/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en-US

It was a long and lonely day! Yeah, finding evidence of an old trail is like the grail for me :)

Hi! very cool! The more you look, the more there is to find out there!!! (that location near SW twin went on my hot list a month or so ago - very cool to see your pics!)

By the way, that stove picture (at least, I think it's a stove) is freaking OUTSTANDING

Last edited:
I wacked up to Zealand from the Little River valley back in 2008 with NH_MTN_HIKER. Those talus slopes are pretty unstable so be careful. One of the tougher wacks I've been on above the talus. Just be careful. Loving your trip reports!

Just seeing this thread now. Dennis, amid those great shots, I found the softwood meadows and the exposed craggy area you captured to be especially beautiful, though I'm sure that actually being there must've felt even more amazing. At the risk of being massively redundant, continued thanks for sharing!

Last edited: