1st Pemi Loop (+ West Bond) 6/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
Participants: LRiz, Marc Howes, Dr. Wu

Date: Saturday 6/13/09

Rules: No Bailout Car

Goal: Sub 14 hours

We started at 6am -- no running on the Wilderness Trail but 2:45 later we were on Bondcliff. Weather was great -- no sign of thunder boomers yet but one of us had a problem: Marc was getting some bad chafing on his back. Not good considering we had about ummm... 23 miles to go. I offered him a hot oily massage (I did manage to give him a lap dance later on) but he declined and put some powdered cocaine on it instead. We hit Bond, West Bond (no brainer), Guyot, South Twin and down to Galehead Hut in good time and all felt strong and were still moving fast.

Once past Galehead (Gale River Trail Junction actually) Marc and I noted that this was the furthest we had gone on a Pemi Loop attempt (I bailed in 2005, Marc in 2008 ?) but today it never entered into any of our minds to bail. We didn't really have that option anyway.

The middle third of the Pemi Loop is probably the most challenging and most of that comes from the Garfield Ridge Trail. I've done this trail several times and never found it to be that bad but after all those miles this trail, with all its PUDs, rough and wet footing, and not to mention steep crap was pretty draining. I think even Larisa struggled for a second or maybe even two going up Garfield. But we did it and we were psyched and we moved on to Lafayette (another 3.5 miles) where we knew that once we stood on that summit we had the home stretch ahead of us!

We reached Lafayette in under 10 hours... goal of 14 hours was fading for us but we figured we'd give it our best no matter what for the next 10.5 miles. Franconia Ridge is awesome as usual and makes for good, fast hiking over beautiful terrain. 2 hours later we were on Flume with 5.5 miles to go... at this point we knew we made it and, although tired (at least I was) it was an incredible feeling.

Marc's back was so screwed up at this point -- I don't know how he did 20 miles with it looking like that... plus he had leg cramps. Kudos to him for making it to Flume still feeling good and positive. He agreed to let Larisa and I go ahead if we give him an extra headlamp... so I gave him mine (Larisa had two, WTF?) and we started out for Lincoln woods with the 14 hour goal in mind.

I told Larisa that she'd be running once we got to past the ladders but she didn't think so, not after 28 miles. Once we stepped off that last ladder we broke into a jog. She didn't think we'd run once we got to the flat Wilderness Trail but once we got there, with 1.4 miles left to go and we were at 13 hours and 40 minutes we took off. From a jog, to a run, I was calling out times (tripped once too) and then to an all out sprint we finished the 1.4 miles in under 10 minutes.... final time: 13 hours 49 minutes!!!!

This was an unbelievable victory for me. I realize that 13 something hours on a Pemi Loop is about half of what some people on this site can do but this has been a long road for me getting back into hiking shape and banging something like this out. Usually I leave the parking area right after a hike but since Marc was a bit behind us, we were able to savor the moment with a few beers. I definitely felt a real sense of accomplishment; this was without a doubt the hardest thing that I had ever done physically and mentally and not only that it was a long and sometimes frustrating and difficult road to get there.

Marc finished up about 30 minutes after us. Still happy despite his back issues. I can't imagine how draining it must've been to hike like that but he rocked. Then the three of us headed over to Waterest Campground for some partying for Kim's Birthday.... great night still ahead of us with some great friends and a big win notched in all three of our belts.

-Dr. Wu

Just finishing a trip like that is a big deal. Getting it in your target time is the icing! Congrats.

Sweet TR, Wu. Thank you both for an incredible day. Totally didn't think that we'd break 14 hours... was aiming for 15 or 16. Heh. Must say it was amazing to end it with a bang and run the last 4 miles or so. Didn't expect that.

Prior to this, I'd not broken 24.5 miles nor 7,000 feet of vertical in a single hike. The fact that we were able to do it, and still finish strong... oh wow.

Oh, and if you can't tell I'm still totally running off the adrenaline from this hike.

A few pics... (Full album here. Unfortunately I'm running out of Picasa space, which is why the resolution is so dreadful.)

Last edited:
Outstanding trip report and photos - thank you for sharing!

I did my one and only pemi loop in June '07 (sans West Bond) and have been on the fence about trying it again. But these recent reports are getting me pumped to get back out there. We did it clockwise the 1st time and I would love to try it counter-clockwise.

I read your remarks about back chafing with particular interest. This has been a nagging problem for me on past long distance hikes, and I was wondering if I was the only one who suffered from this. I've tried different pairs of shorts with and without belts. Both during and after the hike, it's very painful.

A small group of us are trying a Presi Traverse in the near future. I will try some duct tape or "Leukotape" (very sticky medical tape, I got mine from a physical therapist) on my lower back. Hopefully I'll get the potential trouble spots well covered and the tape itself won't be too uncomfortable.

Thanks again!

Good times.

Great Group.

Fun after party (except the Dr Wu lap dance -- yuck!)

------------

The back rash/chafe/whatever is probably an allergic reaction to new laundry detergent. This has never happened to me before and I wear the same pack/shirt all the time. Didn't stop me, it's just skin -- its not like my knees or feet or something more serious was messed up. After a while you can just turn off that kind of pain, I'm sure pretty much all of you have experienced that before.

Will definately do this again, probably rather do it in cooler temps tho! At least the T-storms never materialized.

What a rush it was getting to the wilderness trail at the end. even after 31 miles I had no problem with a near 4 mph pace (Slow compared to Wu and LRiz evidently!). The determination to get to the car and have a beer and swiss cake roll was strong.

When I got wind of this trip I figured based on the milage it would be 15 hours. I'm pretty stoked that it was less than that :)

PS on long trips like this bring salt in a bag or something. Having salt prevented my leg cramps from being a lot worse than they could have been.

The back rash/chafe/whatever is probably an allergic reaction to new laundry detergent. This has never happened to me before and I wear the same pack/shirt all the time. Didn't stop me, it's just skin -- its not like my knees or feet or something more serious was messed up. After a while you can just turn off that kind of pain, I'm sure pretty much all of you have experienced that before.

looks like a sunburn gone wrong. nasty stuff. glad it didnt stop you dude.

great job guys (and gal)!
im just curious, did you wear pants or shorts?
I wore shorts but one funny thing is that I didn't bring any alcohol at all on this hike. No Bear Republic Hop Rods, no Victory Hop Devils, no Stone IPAs, not even a can of Dale's Pale Ale (Marc brought a can actually but I didn't). I even bought a new little pack -- Osprey Talon 11, no room for beer, and I used a camalback (with water and gatorade in it).

-Dr. Wu

final time: 13 hours 49 minutes!!!!

Wow -- very nicely done!

This was an unbelievable victory for me. I realize that 13 something hours on a Pemi Loop is about half of what some people on this site can do but this has been a long road for me getting back into hiking shape and banging something like this out.

Yeah -- you're right about that. I'd be lucky to break 20; I think my feet would give out, first.

You guys did *wicked awesome*!!! Huge congrats! :)

To the best of my knowledge, the fastest known time on the Pemi Loop is somewhere around 7:25, by Alex Kahl, 2005, and that most likely did not include the side trip West Bond. (Anyone know a faster time?)

Last edited:
Will you guys take me on a Pemi Loop this summer or fall? Please? Huh?

We can try and shave some time off of Wu's new record. What's the elly gain? Did your muscles' calcium channels hold up OK?

Marc, would frequent applications of body glide have done your back any good? I get chaffing in the lower back from my pack (and pine needles and other débris) and will try BG next time out.

Great pics. Looks like you exposed for the beautiful skies.

Marc, would frequent applications of body glide have done your back any good? I get chaffing in the lower back from my pack (and pine needles and other débris) and will try BG next time out.
I offered him a hot oily massage but he didn't want it. I offered to kiss his boo boo... but he didn't want it. I even offered to have a baby for him. Do you get the picture? Can you say m-a-r-t-y-r?? He's lucky that I gave him a lap dance later -- I was just about through with him!

-Dr. Wu

Shake and Bake!!!

talladeganights.jpg

Great stuff you guys accomplished! My first attempt on a Pemi-loop I bailed on Lafayette actually and hitchiked back to LW. Confession of the day;)

To the best of my knowledge, the fastest known time on the Pemi Loop is somewhere around 7:25, by Alex Kahl, 2005, and that most likely did not include the side trip West Bond. (Anyone know a faster time?)

There is a dude who did it in 7hrs19min according to Youngblood (who did a 7hrs26min last year). I bet Youngblood can break 7 if he doesn't have to wait 15 minutes at Garfield junction for his support crew....and conditions are ideal....

I offered him a hot oily massage but he didn't want it. I offered to kiss his boo boo... but he didn't want it. I even offered to have a baby for him. Do you get the picture? Can you say m-a-r-t-y-r?? He's lucky that I gave him a lap dance later -- I was just about through with him!

-Dr. Wu

you should have offered to rub his back with bengay or icy hot....
he may have liked that?