Whether-Weather: Short Report + 1 Photo (Pemi East Side Trail on 09-Nov-08)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
The forecast for areas within an easy drive from my home in Bethlehem was sort of a mixed bag when I looked at the various on-line weather sites. The probability of rain varied from 20% to 50%. I call this “Whether-Weather” since this type of weather makes it difficult (at least for me) to decide whether to expend the extra effort to go “high” (and then possibly see nothing), or expend less effort and go “low” (and just take whatever views that might be available).

I left my house in a steady drizzle. At that point, the probability of rain was 100% for me!! Therefore, on this particular day, it was decided to go “low”. The best I could determine, getting below “the Notch” reduced the chances of rain. So, I headed for the Lincoln Woods trailhead with the thought of doing the loop involving the Pemi East Side Trail, and the Wilderness/Lincoln Woods Trail.

Although the drizzle had stopped when I began the trek, it was still very overcast. And, it remained that way all the way up to the point where the Pemi East Side Trail crosses Cedar Brook. Upon arriving at the Cedar Brook crossing I could see that the water level was high, enough so that it made me uncomfortable to attempt a crossing. The crossing might have been possible yesterday, and tomorrow it might be just fine. But today was not the day (at least not for me!).

As I headed back to the trailhead, the weather remained overcast, and there was some occasional brief drizzle. I took a few photos, but none of them were particularly inspiring. To “jazz-up” my trek just a bit, I opted to turn off the Pemi East Side Trail and take the Pine Island Trail on my way back. It wasn’t quite the loop I had originally planned, but hey, it was sort of a loop (in miniature)!

I don’t know whether taking the Pine Island Trail is what caused a change in weather, but for one brief shining moment, the cloud cover lessened and the sun came out. I turned around and looked northward toward Bondcliff and was able to get the one & only semi-decent snapshot of the day.
Bondcliff.JPG

BOTTOM LINE TO ALL THIS: This was a good hike, despite the fact that high water on Cedar Brook prevented me from doing the loop that I’d originally planned. It was still about an 8 mile trek which provided a modest level of exercise. And, perhaps most important, I was outdoors in the Whites! Also, even with the “Weather-Whether”, I was able to enjoy a brief view toward Bondcliff from the Pine Island Trail.

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Plans always seem to change with the weather when you are in the Linwood area I guess! Me, Jen and SilentCal had planned to do Flume earlier this year and take the old Osseo route on our way down, but horrible thundershowers were predicted later in the day and it was already raining at our start. So we wound up heading all the way to the last crossing before Stillwater junction (was flowing too fast to cross) and on the way back took the Pemi East Side trail. We somehow managed to miss the Pine Island side trail though. No biggie, we did have a rather interesting Moose encounter that day. Its funny, normally those flat miles suck at the end of a long day, but when you plan for it the trails can be quite fun!

Brian

I've thought of doing that same loop sometime if I were up in the area for more than a day. So far I haven't been able to bring myself to drive 2 hours for a low-elevation hike. Must be nice to live above the notch! :)