1% for the Planet

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I listen to an outdoor podcast, and every episode begins with Yvon Chouinard, founder of Patagonia, talking about when he decided to go into business, he would do it on his terms. After sixteen years of listening, that sank in, and when I started my criminal defense law firm, I pledged to give 1% of profits back to the environment.

This isn’t a commercial plug for me! (I hope you will never need my services). But I do want folks to know that there is an enormous network of companies throughout the globe that have pledged 1% for the Planet, and they use the logo to show it. Pete & Gerry's Pasture Raised Eggs, Monroe, NH; Tandem Coffee Roasters, Portland ME; Patagonia clothing; Bank of the West (personal lines checking); A Wild Soap Bar (handmade organic soap); Nuzzie (sheets and blankets); and of all things, the company that sold me a bike light, Planet Bike.

We don’t have to do everything, but it helps to do something. Just one thing more than you do right now, even if it’s just re-using those awful plastic bags in the produce department that we see people wrapping bananas in, or re-using aluminum foil. Little things add up.

Peace!

Brian

We actually rinse out our ziplocs! Good work and best wishes for all you do!
Thank you for doing that!

I'm looking forward to the end of plastic bags entirely, either in produce departments or for home use. I think some pretty exciting research is being done with kelp right now. I've also become a fan of Stashers, which protect my lunches on hikes better than ziplocks.

My hometown of Middletown, CT no longer allows grocery stores to give out plastic bags. Shoppers either have to bring their own or get charged for paper bags.