1000-footers in Acadia

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jreckard

Reaction score
First post.
After pooping out on my attempt last year, I grunted my way through this time. A trip that climbs all the 1000-footers in (eastern) Acadia - seven by one count. Took the earliest bus from the campground to Bar Harbor, then another bus to the Parkman Mt trailhead. In brief - Mounts Gilmore, Sargent, Penobscot, Pemetic, Cadillac, Dorr and Champlain. Fourteen-ish miles. Finished (well, near the end) with a dip in The Bowl. Caught the next-to-last bus from Sand Beach. Got back to Bar Harbor in time to catch the Thursday night town band.

* This was, of course, made possible only by the free bus service on the island - a wonderful gift to hikers and others. Practically any hike can be done without cars - no worries about spotting cars, finding rides. It opens up zillions of options.
* This trip doesn't compare to another "Grand Tour" posted just recently, longer by half than mine. Better pictures too - I mostly got "proof" pictures of the sign on each summit cairn. Speaking of which - a piece of trivia for those who've never been ... of all the beautiful (trailed) peaks in the park that I've visited, only the highest - Cadillac - does not have a summit cairn or sign.
* And a plug for the summertime town band concerts in Bar Harbor - Mondays and Thursdays at 8pm. Great fun, wonderful atmosphere. And the best frozen custard around ... I only discovered it this year after many visits ... a few shops south on Main.

Well, OK, I'll include one photo - Bubble Pond at the bottom of maybe the nastiest trail in the Park - Cadillac West Face Trail.
Acadia vacation, July 2012 050.jpg
Jon

Welcome aboard. Acadia is a long-time favorite. I've been on all of the summits you hiked, but not in a single hike. It sounds like an awesome day. Heading back up for a visit in September, can't wait.

I have contemplated using the shuttle service from Bar Harbor but have yet to try it. Maybe I will this year, it sounds like it worked out well for you.

Nice hike...Acadia has some of the most accessible beauty that I have ever seen!

bjc - absolutely and without question. Can't say enough good things about the bus service. We've enjoyed the free buses for years. The emphasis is on a cleaner environment, but the convenience factor is huge too. And they're free! Most (or all?) can load a couple or few bicycles as well. LL Bean is a primary sponsor.
Last Thursday, some kind of accident occurred on the bridge to Mount Desert Island - nothing moved on or off the island for a couple of hours. If you've been there, you can imagine what that must have been like. (If you haven't, the only way on/off the island is over this bridge - one lane in each direction. Oh, I suppose you could take your yacht.) I heard about it when I was getting off one bus at the Village Green and heard a bus dispatcher trying to deal with riders wondering where the bus was.
Did I mention that the buses are free?
Jon