2 good gear stories (svea and jannd packs)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave.m

Reaction score
The long-lived iBOB mailing list charter reads, in part:

"iBOBs value "proven equipment that is repairable or long-lived" and "recognize that expertise comes from involvement"."

I want to give two huge "attaboys" 2 some equipment and companies that hit home runs in this regard.

A&H Enterprises repairs camp stoves and sells parts for camp stove repair.
http://packstoves.net/cart/

Jannd Mountaineering makes packbacks and bike touring equipment such as panniers and saddle bags.
http://www.jandd.com/

Two uplifting stories follow. Both involve sales people/owners giving advice on parts and repair and refusing to "upsell" unnecessary stuff. How cool is that?

A&H ENTERPRISES / SVEA 123 STOVES - I recently took my Svea 123 on a backpacking trip with my wife and kids. I got it new in 1986 so it's now (doing the math) 27 years old. I should mention that I've never once done any maintenance on this stove. Not a single bit. I replace a filler cap after over heating it once in 1986 (I learn quick) but that's hard to call maintenance, really. The stove has been used several times a year including regular winter trips. It has lit every single time with no drama and that alone is worth putting it in the all time best gear purchases.

However, I felt that it was taking a bit longer to prime than I'm used to. Yes, I've been using my Trangia more. Loosing the touch perhaps? Stove feeling spurned? Maybe worn out wick?

I called the folks at A&H Enterprises in Corona, CA. They've been dealing with parts and repairs for Svea, Optimus and many other camp stoves for as long as I can remember. I spoke with one of the owners and told him that I wanted to buy a rebuild kit, which cost about $30. He asked me what the symptoms were and I described them and he suggested instead that I buy and replace only the $6 wick. And he talked me through the repair, including a few "gotcha" parts.

In a world of made-to-be-disposable equipment, I'm buoyed to think that stoves like the Svea still exist and the companies like A&H can survive.

JANND MOUNTAINEERING - This is a story about evolving a design and the virtue of engineered backwards compatability. My wife and I discovered Jannd backpacks in the early 90s when we lived in CA for a short while and we both own some of their smaller packs. A few years ago, I picked up a used expedition pack locally as I knew that I could no longer repair my old North Face pack (new in 1984). Dads being dads, I carried all the food for the family for a 3 day trip. Heavy pack and sagging hip belt.

I looked at the Jannd web site and noticed that, typical to their design philosophy, they use hip belts that were interchangable across their pack lines and that they sold a plastic reenforced heavy duty hip belt for about $30. They also sold upgraded shoulder straps that, again, are backwards compatible with older packs.

I called the store directly and we talked through the hip belt issue. I asked about the virtue of the updated shoulder straps and the salesman was honest enough to suggest that they would make a minimal difference in comfort.

I thanked the salesman for not "selling me" on the straps and asked how it was that they still used hip belt designs that would work on a pack that was well over 10 years old. He said something to the effect that they do work hard to improve their designs but they don't make changes for the sake of change, only when it's clear that something is wrong and could be done better (like adding a firmer hip belt). In a world slavishly committed to "new", I find this stunning and worth supporting.

An update of possible interest to tourers and rando riders out there.... I asked about the rumors of a larger version of their already big Mountain Wedge III saddle bag and the guy said they hope to have the larger version out this fall sometime.

Last, last comment about Jannd... They sell pannier attachment kits for making kitty litter bucket panniers.
http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FBK

The page contains some great add copy that's also worth celebrating. They describe using the pannier attachment kits with a cooler and note the following...

Note: Two average house cats can produce one Kitty Litter Pannier per month.

Note 2: Brewskinier is a mix of beer and a pannier. The Santa Barbara experience proved this to be an exceptional tool. Whether going to your boat, work or school your beers are icy cool. The 3 liter cooler pictured was purchased for $19.99.

Get a Svea. You won't regret it. Support A&H when you can but you won't need to support them much.

If their designs work for you, support Jannd. They're great people to work with.

Last edited:
So, I was sitting on a rock outside of Crag brewing up and a kid, who was much younger than the stove asks, "What *IS* that?"

"It's a Svea. It was designed by the guys who built the F-4."

"F-4?"

"Don't worry. I just dated myself."

The kid's dad was laughing behind him.

Re. Jandd Mountaineering, I've had their Keshet Alpinist for about fifteen years, and have used it on everything from backcountry ski trips in the Sierra & British Columbia to bushwhacking in the Seward Range of the Adirondacks & the North Cascades. It's not the sexiest looking pack, and at 4.58 pounds, it's not ultralight, but for a mid-sized overnight pack it carries heavy loads well & it is impressively durable. I used to eye friends' slick, lightweight, latest-and-greatest packs, but I've come to realize that they've replaced their packs at least once or twice, while the Jandd keeps taking a licking.

Whoa! TEO! Long time no see your sig. Still flying the green plaid on the listserv?

I just had to bite on this thread. SVEA!!! They still live long and prosper! When I thru hiked the AT in the 70s, this was the stove all thru hikers were using.

It was small and we could pick up gas for it at any gas station along the way. It was incredibly reliable and I never had a problem with it. I held onto mine for many years and laugh about how it would drown out all the 'whisper lites' in the lean-to's.

For some reason, mine flared up into a ball of flame one time...most likely operator error...not sure what I did...and ended up buying an MSR. I believe one of these classics can still be purchased today. My nostalgia for the stove and your post just might have given me an incentive to own again.

So, I was sitting on a rock outside of Crag brewing up and a kid, who was much younger than the stove asks, "What *IS* that?"

"It's a Svea. It was designed by the guys who built the F-4."

"F-4?"

"Don't worry. I just dated myself."

The kid's dad was laughing behind him.

:D

I remember as a kid when the F-106s were zooming overhead daily from the Duluth Air Base ...