27 year long campout in Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting story. It shows that survival during winter without fire is possible and that people can go missing for years and years. I'm surprised he wasn't located earlier. The report I read from anothyer paper said that he walked on rocks and avoided breaking branches (a lot of us do that) and that wounds take longer to heal than they did earlier. I didn't read anything about his family. That would be interesting. Also there wasn't anything (yet) about his childhood. Was he a Scout? Did his family go hiking or camping when he was a kid?

Interesting story. We have done paddling fundraisers for Pine Tree Camp in the past. Very impressive he didn't warm himself with campfires in the winter, nor footprints in the snow.

When I was a kid I wanted to be just like the "Hermit from Maine. He lived on an island off shore, but would come to the mainland once or twice a year for a hair cut and to "look at the pretty girls".

One of those childhood things...I'm sure I'm no where like him..not the white beard or keeping to himself on long trips away from people...yeah good thing those hermit stories never influenced me ;->....

Of the two "hermits"
One version is the armed and dangerous type the other not at all.
One aggressive one passive I would say...I wouldn't want to drift into a weapons thing here but the difference is pretty obvious to me.
I suppose Pine Tree will go easy on the fellow from Maine. In an odd way it was helping a disadvantaged person who grew up locally.
Sure some of the money we raised was indirectly siphoned off by this guy, unusual to be sure, but I have no animosity to the guy

The following link is not a new story but new to me and the topic of a recent Smithsonian article. Makes the above two "hermits" look like wannabes.

For example:

It was not until the late 1950s, when Dmitry reached manhood, that they first trapped animals for their meat and skins. Lacking guns and even bows, they could hunt only by digging traps or pursuing prey across the mountains until the animals collapsed from exhaustion. Dmitry built up astonishing endurance, and could hunt barefoot in winter, sometimes returning to the hut after several days, having slept in the open in 40 degrees of frost, a young elk across his shoulders.

:eek:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/For-40-Years-This-Russian-Family-Was-Cut-Off-From-Human-Contact-Unaware-of-World-War-II-188843001.html

There's also some stuff on YouTube if you can understand Russian... or just hit the mute button:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyQIGgeeYno

Last edited:
In the 1800s hermits were often tourist attractions, who encouraged visitors to their rustic abodes and would sell them handcrafts or booklets of poetry

Glad you mentioned that, it got me to thinking there was a well known "hermit of Nh" from days gone by so I looked it up here is a link about the fellow (I didn't know there was a book). I think he also is mentioned in various other histories as well. Here a link about him http://www.oldmp.com/perley.htm

While the fellow in Maine is apparently not going to win any cuddle fest awards, living alone, outdoors, not speaking to anyone for 27 years is quite remarkable. Even as one woman whose place was broken into something like 15 times mentions you can't help but feel sorry for someone who basically hid from people for 27 years...

Quite the story of the Russian family, I had read of it but didn't realize it was back a few years, or the end results of their starvation diets. Very interesting !

Last edited:
IMHO, nobody can "hide" like that so close to civilization for 27 years - somebody knew he was there. What or who was he hiding from, that will be interesting to find out. A good mystery novel in the works.

This certainly isn't the romanticized version of retreating into nature like in Into The Wild. This seems more like hiding, which is tragic.

This certainly isn't the romanticized version of retreating into nature like in Into The Wild. This seems more like hiding, which is tragic.

One of my favorite hermitage stories is Richard Proenneke. He trained as a diesel mechanic and carpenter, worked 'till he was in his early 50s, then retired to a place called Twin Lakes in remote Alaska. Built a cabin entirely on his own, then lived there for the next 30 years. He even willed the cabin over to the forestry service.

This story is just so strange... so many questions. I hope the guy gets whatever help he needs going forward, and ends up with an okay life (that doesn't involve stealing from others).