53rd with a view?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
So what summits were near miss?. I feel Eagle Cliff definitely lost out along the way. It may lack an official trail but hard to beat the view from the open ledges near the register.

Any other deserving candidates?

Webster Slide is probably my favorite. Black Mtn in the Sandwich. If we're talking unofficial trail, Fisher might be a consideration.

2019 edition of the book says Carr Mt. and Mt. Wolf are the most recently delisted. Never been to either. Not sure why Black Mountain (Jackson) is on the list -- the views from the summit are very obscured. Better off with the Doubleheads (North is listed but South is not -- South has good views as well). Table Mt. off of Attitash has a decent view and is a short hike from Bear Notch Road so high value. Another high value hike is the Boulder Loop trail above Sundown. Great views for very mild effort. Might not qualify as a peak (more of a ridge). Odd that the Moats are on the list but Black Cap isn't. Black Cap has excellent views for very light effort. Maybe 52 with a View just rhymes nicely because it seems there are many additional peaks and ridges that have great views, many without a lot of effort. I would think you could easily get to 62 with a view. I suspect many others will chime in with the history to correct me as to why the current list should be appropriately limited.

Edit: I see that the newest list on the Over the Hill website removed Black Mountain (Jackson) and Iron Mountain and added Table Mountain, among other changes. Btw, Iron Mt. is a very pretty hike and the views are on the south ledges beyond the summit. In any event, the above commentary is qualified by reference to the current list on the website.

Also, there should be a book on slides. Maybe I'll need to publish that someday. Many, like Landslide Gully on Webster and the slide on Whitewall Mt., are downright sketchy but beautiful. Maybe someone has a list somewhere. I know we have occasionally discussed slides here .

Also, there should be a book on slides. Maybe I'll need to publish that someday. Many, like Landslide Gully on Webster and the slide on Whitewall Mt., are downright sketchy but beautiful. Maybe someone has a list somewhere. I know we have occasionally discussed slides here .
Steve Smith published this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UgIQQAtUi-j4CwrLdJD1Hqqk219v13oekvC01yfdvOg/edit?usp=sharing

This is a wonderful resource for spots off the 4k path: Paths and Peaks - The Mountain Wanderer

If I may plug slightly, the current second edition of the book can be had here:

http://www.kenmacgray.org/52
As far as what gets added and removed, OTHH evaluates the list every five years. This was last done in 2020 so the next possible changes will be in 2025.

Unofficial trails like Fisher and bushwhacks like Eagle Cliff won't qualify. The "guideline" is that each hike needs an official trail to a view, but that view doesn't necessarily need to be a summit.

Some peaks will never make the list because they are too low (looking at you, Mt. Major). The general elevation threshold on the low end is 2,500-ish, but there are some exceptions now.

Ken, thanks for the information about parameters. I have the 2019 edition so am a little behind. I'm guessing that Iron Mt. was removed because the summit is mostly wooded and the views to the west are further along at the south ledges (but are nice and the hike itself across the top of the mountain is excellent). Bartlett Mt. (2661) has great 180 degree views looking west, but no true public access to the trail (at least no parking -- the trail itself is within Merriman SF). As noted, Black Cap (2369) is extremely popular with excellent views and an easy, short hike to the summit.

Ken, thanks for the information about parameters. I have the 2019 edition so am a little behind. I'm guessing that Iron Mt. was removed because the summit is mostly wooded and the views to the west are further along at the south ledges (but are nice and the hike itself across the top of the mountain is excellent). Bartlett Mt. (2661) has great 180 degree views looking west, but no true public access to the trail (at least no parking -- the trail itself is within Merriman SF). As noted, Black Cap (2369) is extremely popular with excellent views and an easy, short hike to the summit.
As I understand it, Iron was removed due to the lack of view at the summit and the heavily eroded state of Iron Mtn. Trail at the time. Since then, the lower section of the trail has been relocated, so who knows, maybe it will go back on? The south cliffs are indeed an excellent spot.

2019 edition of the book says Carr Mt. and Mt. Wolf are the most recently delisted. Never been to either. Not sure why Black Mountain (Jackson) is on the list -- the views from the summit are very obscured. Better off with the Doubleheads (North is listed but South is not -- South has good views as well). Table Mt. off of Attitash has a decent view and is a short hike from Bear Notch Road so high value. Another high value hike is the Boulder Loop trail above Sundown. Great views for very mild effort. Might not qualify as a peak (more of a ridge). Odd that the Moats are on the list but Black Cap isn't. Black Cap has excellent views for very light effort. Maybe 52 with a View just rhymes nicely because it seems there are many additional peaks and ridges that have great views, many without a lot of effort. I would think you could easily get to 62 with a view. I suspect many others will chime in with the history to correct me as to why the current list should be appropriately limited.

Edit: I see that the newest list on the Over the Hill website removed Black Mountain (Jackson) and Iron Mountain and added Table Mountain, among other changes. Btw, Iron Mt. is a very pretty hike and the views are on the south ledges beyond the summit. In any event, the above commentary is qualified by reference to the current list on the website.
My impression of the selection of "52" as a number, was that it complements the "48" to make an even 100 peaks when both lists are combined. The OTHH's are veteran 48 hikers and this list was their second phase of a hiking career so to speak. Ken will correct me if I'm not factual here, I hope.

And on Iron Mt., there is a very faint and barely noticeable trail to the old mine, and there are still tailings piles where the tailings are of sufficient iron content as to stick to a magnet. Green Hill Rd. is nice. Highly recommended hike if you are looking for something mellow.

My impression of the selection of "52" as a number, was that it complements the "48" to make an even 100 peaks when both lists are combined. The OTHH's are veteran 48 hikers and this list was their second phase of a hiking career so to speak. Ken will correct me if I'm not factual here, I hope.
Yup, that's correct. The 52WAV was created in part to complement the 48 4Ks.

Prema and I climbed Whitewall and lived to tell several summers ago.. I wrote a report on it entitled "Stupidity in High Places."

As I understand it, Iron was removed due to the lack of view at the summit and the heavily eroded state of Iron Mtn. Trail at the time. Since then, the lower section of the trail has been relocated, so who knows, maybe it will go back on? The south cliffs are indeed an excellent spot.
It should still be on the list based on the trailhead parking view alone! Beautiful!

So what summits were near miss?. I feel Eagle Cliff definitely lost out along the way. It may lack an official trail but hard to beat the view from the open ledges near the register.

Any other deserving candidates?
There's a register at Eagle Cliff?

If I recall correctly, I think I read somewhere that this would be published as a book someday.
From the document: Note: This document is a work in progress. A condensed version is intended to be incorporated into a future book on the Slides of the White Mountains, with P. Thompson Davis, retired Professor of Natural and Applied Sciences at Bentley University (specializing in glacial geology), as consultant. Thanks to Thom for reviewing this document and providing many excellent suggestions.

From the document: Note: This document is a work in progress. A condensed version is intended to be incorporated into a future book on the Slides of the White Mountains, with P. Thompson Davis, retired Professor of Natural and Applied Sciences at Bentley University (specializing in glacial geology), as consultant. Thanks to Thom for reviewing this document and providing many excellent suggestions.
I printed it out. Like 600+ pages.

Prema and I climbed Whitewall and lived to tell several summers ago.. I wrote a report on it entitled "Stupidity in High Places."
I've been up the slide and to the summit cannister. It was a lot of fun and very enjoyable other than the slide is a bit sketchy is spots but ok if you are a slide surfer ;) The summit area is a little dense but is a pleasant and mellow environment.