8/26/14 Lamprey River to Great Bay

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobC

Reaction score
The day before my 16-year-old son Jason went back to school, I went out on a kayaking trip from downtown Newmarket and out to Great Bay. Conditions were great - very hot and very calm, since we we on the bay right before high tide. We went as far as Vols Island; I had thought of going up to Adams Point but Jason seemed to be getting tired so we turned around; total round trip was 5 miles. The amount of wildlife you can see in and around Great Bay is amazing - herons, cormorants, even horseshoe crabs if you're near the shore (we didn't see any this day but I've seen them around Adams Point).

Approaching Great Bay

Jason enjoying the conditions

Just southwest of Vols Island and east of Lubberland Creek, we came upon this island, which we dubbed "Creepy Island"..the small building on it looks sort of like a concession stand. Anyone have any idea what this was used for?

Closer look

There was also a small shack on the island, I got out of the kayak to take this picture, which doesn't do justice to just how creepy it was. I didn't get too close.

Back to downtown Newmarket

Full album here

Our route

Last edited:
Looks like you had a nice time.
I was pleased to see a Bald Eagle today while paddling the bay. Very Nice..on a good day,1st you hear these huge wing beats...then search above for the source.
Used to look for them there in Dec nice to see one this time of year, so I felt particularly fortunate.

Yes it was a good time. Thanks for your advice (from last year) about the timing of when to go out on the bay - you advised going out in a 4-hour window around high tide. Very helpful and made me feel safer when taking one of my kids out.