A bad expierence in the woods today......

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
So I got out of work early today and went and bought a new Kelty Backpack. I decided to go for a hike knowing that deer season does not start for another week here in PA. Small game is the only thing in season so there is nothing to worry about right? Well I am hiking and I do have a blaze orange hat on in case there are hunters in the woods. I am on state game lands so I guess anything can happen.

Well I turn the corner of the trail and all of a sudden I hear gun shots. They were to close for my comfort so I took cover behind a nice big oak tree. I could not believe it, the tree I was sitting behind started taking fire. I bet 4 shots hit the dang tree. I start shouting immediately saying something like "Stop your shooting I am down here" The fireing stopped. I then proceeded to say "Are you done there is a person down here" I may even have put a few obsentities in there :eek: I was scared #$%$$#.

I waited about 5 minutes and came back on to the trail. I did not see a hunter so I proceeded down the trail back to my car. I had enough and it was sad because I was only about 10 minutes on the trail when this happened. I got back to my car and drove up to the other trailhead where I know hunters usually park. There were not any cars here unfortunately. I was hoping to find someone or at least get some liscense plate numbers.

I did call the State Police and they said they would check the area out and they took my information. I don't expect anything to come of this other than I am glad I was not shot. I think I will definately stay out of the woods until all of Hunting season is over.

I guess I am telling this story to let everyone know hunting season is here so be careful. I don't think this will keep me out of the woods just out of this particular area. :)

Thanks for listening!

Adam

Sounds like they were Eagles fans to me. Were you wearing any NY Giant gear?

Glad you are ok.

Glad you're ok. I'd be really pissed off.
As you mentioned you were on state gaming lands...guess anything can happen.

I wouldn't retreat though. In those areas hunters typically are active in the early mornings and dusk.
The bright hat, reflective materials, etc should help.

Mercy to the hunter that shoots me and I survive.

Thats all I'll say on this topic.
DaveG.

I'm glad you're ok and didn't get hit. I can't imagine how scary that would be, especially in light of the several shooting I've heard of this hunting season.

I couldn't believe it when I read your post!!

I am so relieved that you are OK!!!
Thanks for the warning.
Why so many crazy shootings?!!!

Praise God you are safe.

Congratulations on staying calm and being able to walk back to your car without panicking.

"BAD", Adam, you are being very kind! What kind of crazy would repeatedly fire at a tree?

Hmmm....

Kinda strange... sounds less like someone who desperately needed glasses and more like someone who didn't want anyone going further down the trail (Illegal hunting or ummm.... botany...etc).

It is FANTASTIC that you reported it! WTG!

Kudos for keeping your head and getting out of there! Don't let it discourage you.

Well there are a lot of stupid people in this world and unfortunately some of them venture into the woods with guns to "hunt". I used to hunt and it pisses me off beyond belief to hear stories like this...no excuse for it (on the "hunter's" part).

Why in the world would you shoot at something with an orange hat on!! not to mention who the heck shoots at something when they don't know what it is (I hope they didn't at least....).

Anyway, glad to hear you are OK. I would have freaked out and hid behind that tree for days.

-JR

One Fall we were hiking at Pawtauckway up to the Fire Tower. Coming down, about 300 yards from the road, we come around the corner to have a hunter leveling his gun at us, thinking the 4 of us who were all talking was a deer I guess. And the guy never even appologized as we passed each other.

Why in the world would you shoot at something with an orange hat on!!
Don't forget that even though you have orange on part of your body doesn't mean that the hunters see that part. Or it could be blocked by a pack.

Certainly not excusing the hunters, but the more you cover in orange, the harder it will be for them to miss it.

Adam: glad you are ok.

Doug

I too, would of hid behind the tree for days and survived by eating the bark off the trunk! :eek:
So Glad Adam you are okay. Guess you had a Guardian Angel of some sort watching out for you.
This is the classic example of shoot at whatever moves, instead of looking and recognizing the target before shooting! It's hunters like these, that give hunters a bad name. Sad because there are so many hunters who are safety aware.

A friend had the very same thing happen to him, and it was on his own land.
This was during deer season in Central New York several years ago, near Lafayette, NY.

Holy crapola Batman! :eek:

That is horrible. Such irresponsible action is reprehensibly. I hope the cops can get a lead on this.

Glad your safe.

I am so sorry this happened to you and very happy that you are safe and able to enjoy that new Kelty pack.
"Be careful out there" takes on new meaning after an experience like this one.
I bet even "sleigh bells" would not have helped in this situation.

Glad you got out alive, pal! Was this on that trail you were telling me about near Hills Creek? I have family that hunt down in your neck of the woods and they'll be pi$$ed when they hear this story! My sister and brother-in-law border on anal about hunter safety. In fact they've had friends or family who are no longer welcome back to hunt on their land because they didn't adhere to their safety standards.

P.S. You sure it's not muzzle-loader season down there? Not that it makes any difference with what happened to you, other than the legality of someone discharging a firearm. Legal or not, you gotta know what you're shooting at!

Glad you got out alive, pal! Was this on that trail you were telling me about near Hills Creek? I have family that hunt down in your neck of the woods and they'll be pi$$ed when they hear this story! My sister and brother-in-law border on anal about hunter safety. In fact they've had friends or family who are no longer welcome back to hunt on their land because they didn't adhere to their safety standards.

P.S. You sure it's not muzzle-loader season down there? Not that it makes any difference with what happened to you, other than the legality of someone discharging a firearm. Legal or not, you gotta know what you're shooting at!

Steve it very well could be muzzle season. I am not that up to date on the regualtions and seasons unless it is fishing :) This was on the Lynn Keller Trail by Hammond Lake.

Dude we have to keep this on the downlow I did not tell my wife of this because she would never let me in the woods again :eek: SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Maybe you were on the "Helen Keller Trail"

All kidding not aside, haven't you heard of the rare Pa red capped deer?