A Bluebird Day for 1st Hike on Presi Ridge- Ike & Pierce bagged

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine Chris

Reaction score
Summits: Eisenhower and Pierce
Eleavation: about 3200'
Mileage: 9.4 miles
Weather: around 25 degrees at start and 41 degrees for a high and Bluebird Skies
Hiking Partner: Solo
Link to photos
http://s1343.beta.photobucket.com/u...unt Eisenhower Mount Pierce on March 9th 2013
After a tough go trying to get anything accomplished for summits last weekend I was looking forward to redeeming myself. I just was not feeling it last weekend and completed no summits. Feeling discouraged I decided to set my sights for what appeared to be a bluebird kind of day on the Presi's. I had been waiting for a weekend like this to make my first attempt out on the ridges of the southern Preidentials in winter.

Woke up at 4 am and left the house by 5:00. Feet on the Crawford Path at 7:30am. I enjoyed the trail to myself till about 1/2 way up and then was overtaken by 4 young guys. The last one in line had a stride similar to mine and I took advantage of his footsteps for awhile until over taken again by another 2 guys whose steps were shorter and not so easy for me to follow in. I was bare booting as were many today on this section of trail. It was warm and I had my jacket off about 5 minutes after starting out. The trees were lovely all dressed up in their robes of white and I was enjoying the glimpses of sun I was seeing on the ridge to my left. Soon I was enjoying views of the valley behind me and the elevation was passing by quickly. As I approached the Mizpah cut off I was looking forward to see the jays but it must have been too early for them or they were on the summit waiting. Oh well, onward and upward. The views began peeking through which was a nice reward for the extra effort it was taking to track through drifted trail which at times towards the top was almost a foot deep.
DSCN1966_zps9b924347.jpg

It was a nice solid flat track on the way out later in the day.At the turn off to head the .1 miles to the summit of Pierce I ran into the 2 guys that were ahead of me and they asked me if I was camping out up here tonight? I said no and asked why they thought that. They replied because of the amount it looked like I was carrying. I am new to this winter hiking thing but I feel it is only prudent to carry what you feel you need to survive on the mountain overnight if something happens to detain you (such as a broken leg). Even if there are a-lot of folks up on the ridge that day, I don't want to depend on them having what I need to keep warm and hydrated and fed until rescue arrives. I want to do all I can to help myself. In or on me I had 2.5 Nalgene bottles of water, a thermos of warm soup, 2 sandwiches, banana bread, trial mix, 2 packages of granola bars, gel shots, 1 honey waffle, first aid kit, knife, hand warmers, 2 extra pair of gloves, compass, map, whistle, extra hat, balaclava, goggles, extra top base layer, emergency bivy, extra pair of socks and sock liners, phone with hand-warmer, extra piece of wire and tie straps to repair my snowshoes or micro-spikes, matches, a bit of lint for fire starter, headlamp with 2 sets of spare batteries and an extra bulb and a whisper-lite stove with pot,a down vest and a pair of wind/rain pants.I also had a neck gaiter and neoprene face mask just in case. This is what I have been carrying most of the winter. Sometimes I bring a full down jacket instead of the vest and more handwarmers and a extra pair of warmer long johns. When it has been colder I would wear full wind and rain proof pants and a mountain harrdwear goretex jacket and would carry crampons too. Anyway, I guess we all carry what helps us feel safe and this is the way I am doing it until I learn from experience any different. I have ended up needing most all these items at various times and have been glad to have them with me.

As I began my approach to the summit of Mt. Pierce I recalled the day Dave Bear had brought me out almost 4 years ago on my first winter hike to this peak and fondly remembered the Jays coming for a visit. It was a fairly nice day then too though alot harder of a climb than I had today (being in much better shape now). I hoped he was doing well with his bid to the Bonds today. I probably should have gone with him but I already had Mt. Bond and Bondcliff in winter and just could not resist getting up on the Presi's today. All the scrub trees were coated with an incredible amount of snow plastered to them and they looked like little elves all standing about. I got a big kick out of it!
DSCN1967_zps19ae970a.jpg

I Arrived at the summit of Mt. Pierce about 20 minutes ahead of book time and was pleased with my effort. I met a fella in shorts up there which I spoke to for awhile and we shared photo taking
DSCN1984_zps3b914aea.jpg
responsibilities. Wish I had gotten his name. He says he knows you Dave! Of course who doesn't? I had a bite to eat before switching to snowshoes for the traverse across to Eisenhower figuring I would run across a bit of drifting, trail meandering off track and spruce traps due to the meandering trail and I was glad I did. Especially after noticing the mess the 4 guys in front of me were making with their bare booting efforts which were often 1 to 3 feet deep depending upon their luck. It was warming up quite a bit and the sun was really beaming down. I was going to regret not having sunscreen with me I think. I had the trail to myself all the way across so I took my time. I was tiring due to the snow warming up so much that it was sticking and clumping to my snowshoes some. This made my feet feel like lead.:mad:
My goal- Eisenhower looms ahead in this photo:

I arrived at the south end of the Eisenhower Loop and noted no one had continued on the Crawford Path along the east side of Eisenhower which I had hoped to use on the way back if I went over to Mt. Monroe. As I was ascending the final 350' to the summit I ran into a guy who asked if I needed some sunscreen. I agreed I sure could use some and he willingly shared if I would get his water out of his pack while I was at it. Thankful for his generosity I slowly continued my summit attempt, enjoying the warm sun and light breeze and viewing those blue skies with awe. The views were incredible and I just could not resist stopping every 40 or 50 feet to take yet another picture. It was simply awesome to be sharing such a beautiful day on the Presidential Range with so many other fellow hikers.

When I finally arrive at the great rock cairn that marks the summit of Mt. Eisenhower I found 2 folks leaving and one who stayed to eat lunch. I asked him to take my summit photo and then proceeded to take off my snow shoes and sit down for some lunch on the less windy side of the rock cairn.
DSCN2004_zps7e26854a.jpg

I lingered for awhile, reluctant to leave since I had the place to myself after the other hiker left. The beefaroni tasted great and I sat and savored the sunshine which I had not been able to enjoy on the summits hardly at all this winter and certainly not in these kind of temps (40's) ? I pondered on going to Mt. Monroe too but decided my legs were a bit tired and I did not want to ruin and absolutely gorgeous days memories by over doing it so I prepared for the hike back. I took my time again on the trip back over the ridge to Mt. Pierce, relishing in every sight, sound and smell along the way, meeting many hikers on route and greeting or chatting my way along the ridge. Everyone was so happy to be getting this kind of a day in the mountains. It was a wonderful gift from God and I thanked Him for it, gratefully.

The Crawford Path was well beaten by both snowshoers and bare booters and I made a quick descent on snowshoes in 1 hour 10 minutes from the Mt. Pierce junction. Droves of folks were still heading up as I descended, most bare booting it. The trail was in good shape as it had softened, been compacted and now the snow was beginning to set up. Part way down I saw this tree leaned across the trail and thought it was really cool how all the snow was sagging off the sides of it yet still had not dropped to the ground.
DSCN2017_zps1b6b7424.jpg

The only downfall to the hike down was that the trees were raining down and loosening their heavy burdens of snow which made for a damp snowshoe out. Oh well, it was so nice out I didn't even bother with putting on my shell. I knew I would soon be back at the car. What had seemed before I started to be a big hike, ended up feeling like a breeze. It was a nice feeling after struggling to build endurance all winter. Now if I can just get out enough this spring to continue what I started and increase my stamina too, along the way. I have big plans this year if my body will only cooperate with my plans. Got back to the truck at 2:40pm making it a 7 hour and 10 minute day even with the 15 minutes on Pierce and the 20 minutes on Eisenhower. What a GREAT DAY! I didn't want it to end.

Well, I've seen a little bit of just about everything for weather this winter! I wonder what the final weekend will bring? MMM Time will tell with 4 more days to go till we get there. At least that's the way us weekend only hikers see it! Glad so many of you were able to get out enjoy this fantastic weekend in the mountains of New England!

Nice! What a day for that hike! Actually, what a day for any hike -- one of the best I can remember anywhere. Great report!

This is definitely an example of being in the right place at the right time Chris! Awesome!! The trip report is great and the pictures are BEAUTIFUL! The southern Presi's are at the top of my list on any day. After this one I have no doubt that you'll be back...

Looks like you did great for a solo. Can't beat the weather this weekend. As for the gear comment, go with what you're comfortable & necessary for an emergency. Better to have & not need it then the other option. Congrats to you.

Thanks all for the compliments. Your right Spaderman, there's no way I'm not going back on the Presi's. They won't all be that kind of a day, but if I pick and choose carefully maybe some can be. I agree with you on the gear thing. Thanks all. I had the best winter hike ever. Makes all the less than perfect weather days worth doing just to stay in shape for a day like that.

What a great day to be up there! Great photos! I was on Monadnock with my Boy Scout troop and also enjoyed the kind of alpine experience (well, almost) that you did.
Your gear list sounds just like mine. I, too, have gotten the "looks" from others about how much I'm carrying. As Spaderman says, go with what keeps you in your comfort zone and safe, esp. being solo. BE PREPARED!

What a great day to be up there! Great photos! I was on Monadnock with my Boy Scout troop and also enjoyed the kind of alpine experience (well, almost) that you did.
Your gear list sounds just like mine. I, too, have gotten the "looks" from others about how much I'm carrying. As Spaderman says, go with what keeps you in your comfort zone and safe, esp. being solo. BE PREPARED!

Glad to see the scouts are still out there doing great stuff in the woods! My son is an Eagle Scout! He finally re-caught the hiking bug (a seed I had planted years ago when I encouraged him to work on the hiking merit badge. He had the great opportunity to go out west to that awesome scout camp out there and hike for 10 years. Then he stopped hiking for almost 10 years. He picked it up last fall with me and has 14 of his 48 done and is waiting for spring to get started up again. He lost 30 lbs this winter to make it easier for him. Another month or two. He doesn't have gear for winter yet so we stopped hiking together in mid November. It's wonderful to get him back out there. We used to take backpacking trips to Baxter all the time. I love hiking with him and look forward for a way for us to re-bond doing something together we both like. We think alot alike and enjoy the outdoors in the same way.
By the Way- I learned alot from the scouting program too and I will always: Be Prepared. Thanks for posting :)

Congratulations to you Chris!!! I enjoyed seeing your pictures and reading your trip report. Hiking on a day like that makes winters feel too short.

Thanks Kevin, July and Emma and Jimmy Legs and Little D. I appreciate the compliments and your right about getting days like that are a gift. I wish Dave and I had that gift this weekend. He is trying to finish up his winter 48 and has Monroe, Washington and Jefferson to go. We are going to have a go at it tomorrow but the weather is not near as cooperative as last weekend when he did the Bonds.