A couple of new SOPAs on the WMNF Website

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Two big ones to plan around the summer. Repair Lincoln Woods trail washout again. This time they are getting serious, proposed installation of coffer dams to install retaining walls at the washout using the trail as access for heavy equipment. My guess is they will close the trail down for an extended period like they did previously. Even with a retaining wall, this is tough spot as the upstream river channel has shifted to direct the flow of the river during high water directly at this location. My guess is it buys some time but is not a permanent fix.

Second big one is replace a couple of big culverts on Sawyer River road with a bridge, the road will need to be closed for the duration of the repair so Carrigan will become a long walk again like it has in the past.

The radio repeater on Carrigan seems to have finally dropped off the list so maybe we will not be getting a new viewpont at the proposed helicopter landing pad near the cabin.

My guess is cell service is not that bad up in that area of the Kilkenny's which was not the case until recently. The ATT First Net emergency service cell network is building out a lot of infrastructure in rural NH and piggy backed on it is regular cell service. Unlike the USFS repeater radio on North Hitchcock that is covering an area of the national forest that is free of telecom infrastructure, the Kilkenny area is slowly being surrounded by cell towers. It helps that ATV traffic from Ride the Wilds means the cell system gets used. There is a new tower In Milan near Nay Pond, the tower at Milan Hill State Park, the tower in Northumberland and a new tower on North Road in Lancaster, and no doubt others that probably cover a lot of the Kilkenny's although I am unsure about the lost nation area.