A July Finish with a Goose Eye – Cabot Double Hit & Run, 7/14/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
July 14, 2012: Goose Eye and Cabot, Double Hit & Run

Trails:
Goose Eye Mountain: Goose Eye Trail

Mount Cabot: York Pond Trail, Bunnell Notch Trail, Kilkenny Ridge Trail

Summits: Goose Eye Mountain, Mount Cabot

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

Waking up to go hiking at an hour when many people are turning in for the night can evidently cause strange behavior in some people; it seems Sue is included on this list.

The plan for this weekend was to finish our grid month of July; Mount Cabot was the end of our July list. The drive from Nashua to Berlin is a long one and we didn’t want to make the trip for just Mount Cabot (one of our hiking rules: “Hike time must exceed drive time.”). Since we have also been cleaning up the outstanding NEHH peaks we decided a Double Hit & Run made sense. We planned to hike Goose Eye Mountain and Mount Cabot, which are conveniently located on opposite sides of Berlin. Up first was Goose Eye Mountain.

Goose Eye Mountain

With an early meet time we headed to Berlin. We were able to find our way to the trailhead on Success Pond Road and start hiking, a little later than planned but we had a long day and plenty of time to get our plans completed. Success Pond Road started off pretty rough at the Berlin end but seemed to improve as we went along. The White Mountain Guide indicates the trailhead is 8.1 miles from Hutchins Street on Success Pond Road; we found it at 8.0 miles – close enough. After a few minutes of final hike prep (put the boots on, etc) we were hiking.

Goose Eye Trail starts out with a short walk along an old woods road running together with Carlo Col Trail but soon the trails split with Goose Eye Trail taking a sharp left into the woods. The trail drops a small amount from the old road surface and crosses a couple small streams before emerging on another newer woods road; there’s a trail sign at this location. The trail follows this road for a short distance and eventually leaves to the right; again, there is a sign at this location. The entrance to the trail is grown in and very easy to miss. Even though we noticed the trail sign we walked past it initially but returned and found the trail hiding in the new growth.

Low on the trail there is a lot of grass and brush encroaching which made Sue stop and zip on her pant legs to her hiking shorts. Eventually we made it through the wet, overgrown area and found more open conditions on the trail. The trail is generally in great shape. Except for one large birch lying mostly on the side of the trail, I don’t recall any blowdowns. This large birch has been trimmed and it was not a problem to get past.

We hiked along at a comfortable pace for the first section of the hike gaining elevation at a moderate rate and keeping an eye out for the yellow blazes that mark the NH/ME state line but never noticed them. Eventually, the trail went vertical and I knew we were well past the state line. The rate of gain changed and we were really enjoying the heat and humidity of the day – and it was still very early.

The middle part of Goose Eye Trail is quite a bit steeper than the initial section but the footing is good and it wasn’t difficult to adjust to a comfortable pace based on the trail conditions. We hiked along over a false summit area and soon found ourselves standing at the base of the exposed summit cone. Suddenly, we really had a steep trail.

The final climb to the summit was fun. The exposed ledge is rough and provides great traction. We had no trouble at all in the climb. Once we broke out of the cover we had a nice breeze of ~10+ mph to enjoy. We made our way up the trail and onto the summit area. The hot and humid summer conditions caused a fair amount of haze limiting the views. But, we still enjoyed the open 360 degree view from the summit; north on the Mahoosuc Range to Old Spec and Baldpates, to the Presidentials, the Carter Range, and west to the Pilot Range and our afternoon target.

After getting our usual summit pictures and enjoying the place for a short time, we made the u-turn and headed back down. We had a bigger hike left for the afternoon and the conditions were going to be difficult. The exit hike went without any surprises at all. We found the truck, loaded up, and prepared for another rough ride on Success Pond Road. On our ride in we saw only one other vehicle near the start but now there was a lot of traffic; other trucks, cars, ATVs. Everybody had their speed up and making huge dust clouds. We reached Hutchins Street and started making our way to the west side of Berlin and our afternoon hike.

Mount Cabot

Berlin sure is a quiet place on the weekend. It was the middle of the day on Saturday but seemed like a Sunday morning (I can hear Johnny Cash doing a great job on a Kris Kristofferson tune); maybe it was the heat. We generally went straight to the trailhead at the Berlin Fish Hatchery having our lunch on the run. At the trailhead we found overflow conditions from the official trailhead lot and further along York Pond Road where the York Pond Trail leaves left. With only on-road parking available I let Sue out and then pulled close to the trees along the side of the road opposite the huge fish tank. We both added water to our packs and were again hiking.

The early hike along the old woods road had us once again plowing through high growth. We made our way to the sharp left where the trail leaves the road and starts the climb. By the time we reached this turn our second warm-up for the day was long over; I was again drenched with perspiration. Before leaving the truck my water re-supply involved packing four liters for the hike. I thought that should be plenty for a 9.6 mile hike. It was very hot, very humid, and I was already working hard on the water supply, along with Clif Shot Bloks.

Bunnell Notch Trail has had some very wet areas down low near the stream and toward the top near the height of land and the junction with Kilkenny Ridge Trail. We came to a section of recently relocated trail that gets the trail away from one really wet and muddy section. Once this new section of trail is warn in it should be a very nice improvement. As we hiked along we met several others on they way out after a sweaty climb.

We continued making our way to the height of land in Bunnell Notch and I wondered if once we made it we would enjoy the same northwest breeze that we had on Goose Eye. Eventually we approached the junction with Kilkenny Ridge Trail and there was very little breeze. Here we made another one of our many stops and I enjoyed a GU gel pack (Espresso – very good!). By the time we reached the junction with the abandoned Mt. Cabot Trail I believe the benefits from the gel pack started to kick in.

From the trail junction to Cabot Cabin is generally an endless climb of roughly a mile and ~1000 feet of elevation. We were working through the hottest part of the day and the climb was tough. A short distance below the Bunnell Rock viewpoint I picked up something in my right boot making for uncomfortable walking. I asked Sue if we could make a stop at Bunnell Rock so I could take care of it. The on-trail fly population made stops there annoying at best. We reached the viewpoint spur, made the turn, and wandered to Bunnell Rock where there was just enough breeze to control the annoying insects. It didn’t take long to deal with my boot problem but we relaxed there for a while to recharge.

Back underway we completed our start and stop hike to the ridge and Cabot Cabin. I’m pretty sure if I had not been with Sue I would have bailed back around the Bunnell Notch - Kilkenny Ridge trails junction. At the time, I knew my physical capabilities were generally used up and had started mental hiking. I also knew we could get this one done. Determination can be a wonderful thing, especially when you add stubbornness.

Once we reached Cabot Cabin I knew we had this one in our pockets. It’s a short walk to the summit with very little additional elevation. As we made our way past the former tower location we got a couple pictures to the Mahoosuc Range and our morning target. A short time later we were arriving to the Mount Cabot summit sign and cairn. Even the toughest winter hike we’ve done to Cabot didn’t feel as good as arriving to the summit on this one. This second half of our day has been a tough one.

After a few pictures Sue got me looking away from the area of the summit sign and cairn and toward the Kilkenny Ridge Trail sign. She essentially said sit – stay. When Sue woke up at the crazy time we needed to meet our plans for the day, she tore through her boxes of decorations deciding today was the day. Fast-forward – we’re now on the summit of Mount Cabot, Sue is up to something and doesn’t want me to see. I cooperated; Sue often pulls a surprise during the hike and this was if for the day. After she finished Sue said it was okay to look. I turned around and saw a July Snowman sitting on top of the summit cairn. That was a very nice smile and at the time I really needed a smile.

Continued.......

:cool:

Last edited:
....... Continued

We made the u-turn and headed out for our exit walk. Back at Cabot Cabin I finished draining my three-liter reservoir and stopped to add my remaining water for the hike out. Suddenly I was a little concerned that there wasn’t enough. It’s a short 4.8 miles and mostly downhill – we’ll see.

By now it’s getting late and we’re playing beat the clock with darkness moving in. It’s not that we didn’t have headlights, I think we just didn’t feel like stopping to dig them out. We pressed the exit hike a little harder than needed but managed to reach the trailhead and waiting truck without the headlights. Before removing my pack I had a drink of water, which finished my in-pack supply. Hmmm, just enough water. We tossed our things into the back, changed into our traveling footwear, and started down the road.

As we started moving I made the comment to watch for moose. Within a couple hundred yards we had two moose standing in front of us. Soon, one left the road and wandered into the woods. The other, a small bull, stood there with no intentions of leaving. We crept the truck toward him and he started down the road ahead of us. He was trotting along directly in front of us for a pretty good distance; a couple hundred yards at least. These guys are really entertaining to watch trotting along, from the rear – funny leg action. Eventually we came to an old woods road going left and he took it.

Back underway we made our way through the area of building associated with the Berlin Fish Hatchery but continued a cautious speed watching for more moose. Suddenly there was a huge bird dropping from a tree to the road in front of us. I believe it was a Great Horned Owl evidently making a move on something that had crossed the road but we interrupted things. He pulled up and flew away.

The trip’s excitement was done and we were now on the long drive home. Roughly four hours later we pulled into the driveway, Sue transferred her things to her car, we said our goodbyes, and Sue was on her way home.

It was a pretty tough day but a good one; and with the snowman, moose, and Great Horned Owl treats a really fun ending.

Thanks Sue.

Pictures will follow.

:cool:

"Waking up to go hiking at an hour when many people are turning in for the night can evidently cause strange behavior in some people; it seems Sue is included on this list."

Strange? I wouldn't say strange. Maybe a little different, or slightly unusual, or a tad odd but not strange. At least that's what my therapist says. :D

I have alway thought the loop of the west branch of Wright Trail to Goose eye and north along the ridge to Mahoosuc notch and out via bull branch road back to the wright trail head would rival the lincoln Lafayette loop. Unfortunately for those coming from the south, the extra mileage to the Wright Trail head would offset the slow drive up Success Pond road (although it sure would cut down on thre repair bills).

I have alway thought the loop of the west branch of Wright Trail to Goose eye and north along the ridge to Mahoosuc notch and out via bull branch road back to the wright trail head would rival the lincoln Lafayette loop. Unfortunately for those coming from the south, the extra mileage to the Wright Trail head would offset the slow drive up Success Pond road (although it sure would cut down on thre repair bills).

Agreed - the ledges on the Wright Trail are stunning and the drive does keep the crowds away ;-)

…….
Strange? I wouldn't say strange. Maybe a little different, or slightly unusual, or a tad odd but not strange. At least that's what my therapist says. :D
Okay, lets call it “a little different”. But, it’s a little different in a very good way.

I always enjoy your on-hike surprises and hope they never end.

:)

Goose Eye is one of my favorites. If you are ever looking for another nice approach - the Wright Trail is a gem.
I agree, Wright Trail looks like a really nice approach. Plus it provides an opportunity to visit Goose Eye Mountain East Peak on the way.

Next time.

;)

…..
Unfortunately for those coming from the south, the extra mileage to the Wright Trail head would offset the slow drive up Success Pond road (although it sure would cut down on thre repair bills).
When we drove Success Pond Road in the morning the speed was held down due to the road condition. Plus, I noticed a couple places where some speed could end with going airborne. :eek:

At midday, our exit run was much faster (lets just say we were above the posted ATV speed limit). It’s interesting how a little speed can smooth out a New Hampshire dirt road. The other vehicles and their dust clouds made for an interesting ride back to pavement.

I’m pretty sure the morning drive going in was harder on the truck than the midday exit trip. At midday, it was all suspension and my truck has a lot of suspension travel.

:D

The road in from Rt 26 is in a lot better shape, It obvious where Dillon's property ends and the responsible timber owners on the Maine side begins.

The road in from Rt 26 is in a lot better shape, It obvious where Dillon's property ends and the responsible timber owners on the Maine side begins.
I recall reading in another report the road was in better shape from the other end. It may have been in comments you posted.

With two hikes planned for the day we were on a pretty tight schedule. Since we didn't have the extra time needed for a little exploring, we entered and departed from the Berlin end on Hutchins Street.

The exit wasn't bad but as I mentioned, our speed was up.

Some day I'd like to find some free time and drive the whole thing.

;)