A "Loosey Goosey" Meander in Evans Notch (07-May-2010)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
With only a bare bones itinerary in mind, I headed off around mid-morning to do some exploring in Evans Notch. My explorations were at low elevations, with about 1,900 ft being as high as I went. As the WMG says, "The major part of this region is occupied by a jumbled mass of ridges with numerous ledges; although the peaks are not high, they offer a variety of fine walks."

Even before hitting the trail, I came across a picturesque roadside view on Rt. 113 at the foot of the Baldfaces. A similar photo has already been posted by Kevin (of Kevin, Judy, and Emma) on his latest trek to Speckled Mountain. I don't know if there is such a thing as a dandelion farmer, but regardless, this guy has a "crop" that certainly makes for a colorful photo.

DandyField.jpg

Shortly after my photo shoot at the dandelion field, I did a short off-trail visit to a ledge on Hardon Hill. At this location there are some nice views, including a vista over toward Blueberry Mountain and the Royce Range.

BlueBerry_Royces.JPG

From a low lying ledge on the side of Rattlesnake Mountain, I found an interesting view that encompassed Shell Pond and portions of the Baldface-Meader Range.

ShellPd_Overlook.JPG

Earlier in the day I noticed that Little Lary Road was open. And so on my way home, I drove up to the end of that road and parked at the western trailhead for the Wheeler Brook Trail. I hiked up the trail for a half mile or so, and then did a very short off-trail trek to a ledge (at about 1,900 ft) on the NW side of the trail. From this vantage point there are some pleasant vistas looking southward down the Wild River Valley toward peaks in the Baldface-Royce Range and Carter Range.

Below are 2 snapshots taken from the ledge off the Wheeler Brook Trail. They are essentially the same view. The first photo was taken from a spot higher on the ledge than the second one.

WhlrBrk_Ldg2.JPG

WhlrBrk_Ldg1.JPG

In addition to mountain vistas, I also came across a colorful mushroom on the side of Harndon Hill, as shown in the photo below. I think this called a chicken mushroom. Am I correct in assuming that this funky fungus is a hold-over from last season?:confused: It seems early in the year for mushrooms of this size.

ChickenMushroom.JPG

And lastly, below is a photo which shows a nice beaver lodge that caught my attention near the east end of Shell Pond.

BeaverLodge.JPG

I just love unstructured "loosey goosey" days such as this. They are one of my favorite things!:)

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Thanks for those pics. It's a rainy day here, made my day.
Ay-yup! Know what you mean! Just took another look at my snapshots to give my own spirits a boost. Woke up here in Bethlehem this morning to a light coating of snow on the ground and rooftops!

Last edited: