A memorial to VFTT Gatherings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
A memorial to a Views From the Top Tradition that has fallen by the wayside

Although Darren our founder continues to have birthdays, the long tradition of the Fall VFTT Gatherings originally scheduled the weekend closest to Darren’s birthday appears to have fallen by the wayside this year.

With input from Teejay, I have come up with the list of past events. I haven’t heard from Stan yet so I expect we can fill in the missing events as Stan was the only one that I am aware of to have attended all of the scheduled gatherings

Gathering 1 - Eustis - Cathedral Pines
Gathering 2 - NH (Crawford notch?)
Gathering 3 - Vermont (Gifford woods SP)
Gathering 4 - NH - White Birches Campground (thanks Audrey)
Gathering 5 - NY - ADK Whispering Pines
Gathering 6 - Eustis - Cathedral Pines
Gathering 7 - Catskills
Gathering 8 - Stowe VT (gold brook campground)
Gathering 9 - North Adams Mass
Gathering 9.9999 - NH (White Birches Shelburne)
Gathering 10- Banff
Gathering 11- Eustis

The history of the first event was that Ridgerunner suggested a fall event when the woods were a bit quieter and Darren was in the mood to celebrate a birthday. Prior to the first gathering, folks in general didn’t meet in person, they were just posters on a website. From the beginning, this was not an official VFTT activity, it was rather something that a lot of folks would attend and therefore it continued on morphing along from year to year. In addition to the primary fall events there were .5 events that were usually held in the winter.

During the original event it was decided by the group attending, that the event should rotate around New England hiking areas to give everyone that wanted to, a chance to participate. In addition to the primary gatherings, the concept spun off many sub-gatherings including the ADK barbeque, Pat and Audrey’s events, Sherpa Fests, UFC’s event and probably many others.

Over the years, faces would change at the events, but the format was pretty standard, early birds would arrive on Thursday and hike Friday, most would show up Friday evening and probably stay up too late, Saturday would be a day of hikes of various lengths including some epic ones, Saturday night would be the pot luck dinner where all sorts of food and a fair share of libations were consumed well into the evening with the inevitable debate over if and when some of the hikers on epic hikes would make it back to camp, Sunday would be a late breakfast at a local restaurant then a long drive home.

One of the more interesting things was the diverse group that would attend. The ages have ranged from 10 to 70. I always found it interesting to line up a face and a personality with a member that I had read their posts for years. I expect many a long term friendship was formed around the fireplaces and firepits. I could go on about leather aprons, peter millers brownies, melted hiking boots, but at this point, here’s my speculations on why it went away

There are a lot more hiking activities these days in the fall. The flags on the 48 event that many VFTT’s participate in is normally the weekend before the gatherings.

This year there is another major activity that is occurring the weekend after.

The typical VFTT member has gotten older, there are less new faces coming into the site and the longer term participants have probably been to all the areas the events are held.

The shift in media to Facebook means that a lot of group activities that would be arranged on VFTT are being arranged elsewhere.

A lot of newer hikers are participating in Meetup events where they used to participate in VFTT.

For whatever the reasons, it was a good run while it lasted and maybe someday it will be repeated.

Last edited:
It was fun to be at #8, and meeting Stan after his hike with his briefcase containing the Tequila!

#9 was a quiet one with maybe 6 people in Mass, still enjoyed going to the different states.

We had a summer paddling gathering which was fun. I hope there is a winter gathering, those were really fun!

Such an interesting post on how sites and communication morphs as the pages turn..Nothing stays the same.

More and more the hikes are set up on facebook..I just checked and literally 75% of my " friends" on Facebook are hiking contacts..quick..easy..instant

that being said, most of the people I am currently hiking with are on Views and regularly use Views...a great network to meet up with fellow hikers..ok..I will say the word..peakbaggers...

postings seems more frequent in the winter when conditions really change and matter but the usage of the site is still there I think

That being said..while there are other sites out there..Facebook..New England Trail Conditions, Rocks on Top, NH Hikes, Alpine Zone, et c etc..I find that when speaking with folks on the trail Views is the recognized site that everyone knows about

While the tag says Senior Member I am really a Junior Member in this community and have Never been to an official "gathering' but unofficial ones occur all the time..the excellent Flags event shows the diversity and mix of the group..

I guess the point of this is to say..Views from the Top has been and remains a powerful communications tool in the hiking community...tks

Last edited:
Aren't Meetup events supposed to be singles only?

Gathering 6.5 in the Adirondacks will forever be etched in my memory. -35°F the first night and most (but not all) bailed to the Jackrabbit. -26°F up on the summit of Nye the next day, with similar temps that night but a bonfire so huge I had my coat off, and finally a warm (0°F) sunny day skiing up Whiteface. That trip redefined for me what cold means, while at the same time educating me that a -20° sleeping bag really will keep me warm at -20°. :)

The mud of 7.0 was truly epic, along with sausages and bazooka-barfing. Barnes Field 7.5 set the standard for the winter cooking tent with Ed's contribution to our warmth following all the rain-turned-to-ice. And 8.5 set the standard for generosity and hospitality as G.O. opened his yard and guest house to us as the snow turned to rain, the ground to ice, and the power went out.

And I'll never forget 8.0, VFTT earning "persona non grata" status at the campground with a plethora of alcohol & vomit, a few brave-but-hungover with me on Mt. Mansfield for my big #67 finish, and being chased down Sunset Ridge by a thunderstorm.

These weren't the only I attended, I just want to say that regardless of Gatherings going forward or not, they were amazing experiences with good friends, and are terrific memories now. Good times, good times.

Long live VfTT!!

I think the diversity of folks here is really incredible - pretty much no matter what you are into, there's a sub group here for you!

I joined VfTT while still living in my homestate of NY -- and didn't meet anyone from the site for a couple years after. When I moved to VT I was closer to the Whites and met up with more VfTTers in person....now as a NY transplant in Massachusetts, I'm so grateful to have my VfTT family close to me.

Funny, now most of the people I hike with live in NH -- but I have the chance to connect with everyone here -- its a great place.

Thanks, Darren, for continuing to make it possible!

Nice thread, Dennis!;)

As a founder and member of an outdoor club, I agree that having an annual gathering does provide a means for members in a forum/club to meet each other where many, many members will meet-up. VFTT will still be recognized at THE information exchange source, but a gathering is really a celebration of what VFTT is. It's too bad that such a celebration is in it's demise.

Like Silverfox, I've never been to a Gathering. I also haven't hiked with many people on VFTT as I'm mostly a solo hiker (who likes very early starts) and now a trailworker. The value of VFTT is in the diversity of people on here and the information sharing. I think that you can connect to people without meeting them.

I always envy the people that were able to make those meetups. Enjoying the reports n seeing how much fun I missed.

Having a family and a job made those fun events impossable to attend.

I remember nervously driving into Cathedral Pines for Gathering 6, wondering what I was getting myself into, meeting people from the Internet! Meeting and hiking with folks like Pat & Audrey, I quickly realized this group was for me.

I have driven to places I would never consider in all kinds of weather (floods, record low temps) to see friends and hike. Though I was away for a few years, it's great to come back and see the same old faces and meet plenty of new ones.

Over the years the group has changed, but I see it as a good thing. It was once a site for people who spent lots of time on the computer and loved hiking (I say this with respect and fondness... nerds who hike), but has evolved to include much more diversity (including many more women).

Sure there are different events, sites, subgroups, etc. but I will always think of this site and it's gatherings for great memories and friendships.
-Blue

Very interesting post PB.

IIUC you are depicting the fall gatherings as the original "official" VFTT gatherings while the others can be considered as spinoffs. I never thought of it in that light.

Whatever their lineage I certainly agree that gatherings are a quintessential social hiking event. Also, they and hiking forums are among the best things ever to come out of the internet.

Ahh, what a run it's been!

(BTW, Gathering 4 (2001) was in Shelburne NH at White Birches, another memorable one, with practically a full orchestra and a heck of a group hike, grunting over the Ice Gulch boulders).

I am sure that it has meant a lot to quite a few newbies such as we were at Gathering 2, to be greeted warmly by fellow devotees and instantly to feel part of the community. Thanks to all who have made all the events, official and otherwise, so delightful.

Blue, we loved you the minute we saw you looking so lost in the deep dark Maine woods, hoping desperately you had found the right place!

the catskills gathering was the first gathering I went to and it was smack dab into Hurricane Ivan which flooded out everything (including parts of the campground) which was close to Woodland Valley. I also got a chance to meet a lot of the old-timers.. My first VFTT in-person to meet was SherpaK driving to the showers in his green subaru as I was entering the campground. The first VFTT person I shook hands with was Shizzy when he came and greeted me as I found the site... Good times!

I have since starteded my own informal Catskill gatherings called MAGIC. we're having the 3rd one this October, on halloween at Allaben if anybody is interested.

Jay

Last edited:
Gathering 6.5 in the Adirondacks will forever be etched in my memory. -35°F the first night and most (but not all) bailed to the Jackrabbit. -26°F up on the summit of Nye the next day, with similar temps that night but a bonfire so huge I had my coat off, and finally a warm (0°F) sunny day skiing up Whiteface. That trip redefined for me what cold means, while at the same time educating me that a -20° sleeping bag really will keep me warm at -20°. :)

My first and perhaps only "official" gathering; that cold was intense, so slept in my vehicle, but never turned on the engine. Been to a few "unofficial" gatherings at Barnes Field.

Wow… interesting thread. So… I ran into this site in early internet years looking for advice hiking with my 7-year old daughter in the WMNF. She’s now 21! What I recall was that I had missed a first Gathering of Northeast Hikers (official name for VFTT Gatherings). They thought it was so much fun (maybe seven attendees) that they should do a winter version! I was thinking that this group was sick and masochistic! Who would enjoy a winter hiking experience!! People do that??:eek:

So came the advent of winter gatherings… and because of the early ‘techie’ contributors – it got a Version number – 1.5. Business kept me from G 2 – tried like crazy to get to G 3 and finally made it to my first at G3.5 – Harvard Cabin – Jackson, NH (organized by Mohammed). By then I had really fallen into all the information and exposure that VFTT had given me. I had also admired so many contributors who had provided advice and expanded my own objectives. AND – VFTT was one place [then] that I could get ADK information early on! [we had an informal trick of adding ‘ADK’ to a thread title of what was then a hierarchical posting structure].:cool:

Now I was looking forward to my first ever winter hiking experience with people I had never met! I got there and ChrisB had crampons for me (I couldn’t find any) – I borrowed showshoes and winter boots from a local ski friend. Everything fell together… fine hikes, great food and instant friendships in person. And I learned outhouses in winter are perfect! Much more to this about skiing and being late with that internet dude – bubba… had to be there.

I believe that what I found true then is still true today… the ability to bring a human element to our existence. We are able to share experiences and find friendships in person at Gatherings. What I continually take away with me from a Gathering is how accepting and universal we are to each other – without moderation! With such limited, special time together – it is all there to enjoy. There are few expectations and we are all accepting. Age is irrelevant and experience level is a workable factor. There is always time for better hike – this is about having a *good time* together (and that is defined by the attendees).

Agreed, times have changed. Years ago we seldom met up for a hike – now it is common. Spin-off gatherings have found their own place. A Gathering takes some leadership. Ridgehiker saw to that for several years, the thread originator has done his share to organize, show up and make pasta in some early years. Teejay has pitched in on several occasions. I wonder if there is a way to have a “sign-up to take charge” post earlier in the summer – we kinda lose track of time.

Regardless, each Gathering has had their own highpoints, lowpoints and adventure. You just have to be there to figure out which was which! And finally, for any cynics out there… you’re right, it will more than likely RAIN!! It wouldn’t be a Gathering without it. :p

Love it here. Love it out there. Happy B-day Darren. I’ll go to my grave knowing my life is better because of this place and all the Gatherings I attend.

the catskills gathering was the first gathering I went to and it was smack dab into Hurricane Ivan which flooded out everything (including parts of the campground) which was close to Woodland Valley. I also got a chance to meet a lot of the old-timers.. Jay

You have forgotten another set of gatherings you set in motion, the charity hikes. There was usally a gathering of sorts around those.

And yeah, the Catskills. While the tents were set up you will recall we slept in my truck to try and avoid the rain :D

Great Thread Dennis!

I too have met many good friends thru this forum.
I was going to write a big long blurb, but Bubba said it all! ..... Where's the "Like" button?
I only made a couple of the annual official gatherings but attended many of the spin-off ones.
I don't think I ever met a person that I didn't like ....
I love you all! :D

Here's to many more!

So -
Who amongst us knows the significance of the Gatherings' black leather apron?
Its derivation?
The black leather apron would be presented to a Gathering attendee for what special reason? (hint: bubba, of far southwestern upstate New York, was presented with the apron more than once.)
And then there were two. Why? And where are they now?

Gathering #2 was in 1999 at Silver Springs Campground in Bartlett, NH. My son and I hiked the Point above the Nubble (Haystack) with Eric Savage. There was some big political event at the Mount Washington Hotel and the traffic and security seriously delayed us in getting back to the campground.

I still have my Cathedral Pine Campground receipt for Gathering #5 in 2003 because on the back we wrote some milestones for Wiggle Brook Road and, in an effort to remember the names of all the participants, jotted down the following attendees whilest traveling said road: Darren, Bertrand (ridgerunner), Chris, Audrey, Pat, Brenda, Rob, Dennis (peakbagger), teejay, Erik, Ann, Harry K, a young couple from Canada, Jean, Meo, Spencer, Liza, Jay, Todd, Sherpa K, another Spencer, Brian, Trapper Al, Bob, Jeff and a couple illegible names (one of the scribbles looks like motherf*****) ... total 29 ... were you there? And, no, I don't text and drive ...

Early gatherings managed to get electrical hookups and we'd have slide shows, an on-going chorus of oohs and ahhhs and fun guessing at the locations of some of the scenes. The attendance of G #1 was something around 20 and it steadily grew to about 40-50. A few children attended early gatherings but as time went on the atmosphere leaned more towards a frat party and became less inviting to families. That infamous gathering in Vermont was the peak of attendance and it declined from there.

Peakbagger is right on with all the reasons for the "big" VFTT gathering being splintered into several other events. It was a fun run but lots of work for whoever organized them. No doubt there'll be more grand events that mix hiking/paddling/camping/socializing/music/biking ... and I hope to be there for more.

P.S. Happy Birthday Darren!

Last edited: