AMC thru Hiker Pass

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
The logistics for AT thru hikers can be difficult heading through the whites and tends to be a source of stress for thru hikers approaching the whites. This new program appears to be focused at improving the experience. The campsites run at a loss and the vast majority of campers are weekenders so I expect its not major revenue loss. I do wonder what their definition of thru hiker would be? Do long term section hikers count?

Dear Thru -Hikers,
This year the AMC Campsite Program is excited to roll out a Thru-Hiker Pass program. Geared toward any traditional North bounder, South bounder or section hiker this pass offers a handsome discount through the AMC campsites in the White Mountains. After you spend your first night at one of our sites, every site after that is 50% off at $5.00 a night. Whether you’re crushing it through the Whites and only end up staying at 3 sites or taking your time over the rough terrain and stay at all 9 sites, this pass offers a significant discount. Not to mention with the purchase of the pass you will receive a punch card for two free baked goods and a free bowl of soup redeemable at any AMC hut. Need a headlamp? Extra batteries? By presenting the card at any hut or AMC Trading Post you will receive 10% off any merchandise. In the AMC campsite program we never turn anyone away so you will always have a place to stay at the site, guaranteed. At each site we have bear boxes to store food, durable flat camping areas and a reliable water source. When talking with past thru hikers we realize there are challenges the thru hiker community faces and we hope this pass will mitigate some of those struggles. This pass can be purchased at any of our sites along the AT. When it is time for the caretaker to register you for the night, just mention you are a thru hiker and you will be given the pass. First night is standard pricing at $10.00 and every night after that is 50% off at just $5.00.
The AMC sites that the pass is available at are: Kinsman Pond, Liberty Springs, Garfield Ridge, Thirteen Falls, Guyot, Ethan Pond, Nauman, Imp and Speck Pond.
The pass expires two weeks after purchase and is not transferable.

I expect that there is a lot of latitude given to the caretakers and in the past I expect there was fair share of "yogi"-ing/work for stay discussions between thru hikers and the caretakers. Northbound thru hikers are pretty notorious for running low on cash in New England ( I have heard the comment that New England is 1/4 of the trail and 3/4ers of the budget)and this is the longest stretch where they potentially have to pay. The LT also has paid campsites but the terrain in between most of them is such that charging fees is mostly to limit use. The options are far less optimal for most of the AMC campsites. The LT has a similar reduced fee program for thru hikers. Nevertheless a good effort

I do get a chuckle that Thirteen Falls is included as a viable option for thru hikers due to the minimum 2 mile and 1200 foot drop to get there. Far better to tank up at Galehead Hut and head past the 1/4 mile RUA boundary down the Gale River trail and camp in the woods. At least they finally gave up pretending to caretake Full Goose and Carlo Col shelters, the club rarely has full coverage for caretakers into the fall and rarely were there ever caretakers at these sites yet they would be listed as fee sites.

Given that the pass expires two weeks after purchase, one can't be too long term.

To me it sounds like it's for anyone hiking through between Kinsman Pond and Speck Pond. I don't imagine that takes any thru hiking more than 2 weeks, even with a couple zero days.

I like the fact that the AMC recognizes their reputation as the Appalachian Mountain Collectors and is trying to make it affordable.

Thru hikers work for stay subject to a small limit at each hut, I think its a limit of 2 at most huts with 4 at LOC.. Given the substantial increase in the number of thru hikers in recent years, work for stay is definitely not something that thru hikers can plan on like in the past. The crews do have some latitude with filling last minute cancelations (usually weather related where reserved guests elect to cut a trip short).