Ammonoosuc, Crawford and Jewell Trail Conditions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturegirl

Reaction score
Does anyone know the current conditions of the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail, Crawford between the hut and Washington and the Jewell Trail?

Thank you in advance!

Hiked that route last Sat and all was good - not sure what has changed since then. Our group wore snowshoes to the hut then I wore microspikes to and from Monroe and switched to crampons for the trip up Washington and over to Jewell (but I wish I had worn snowshoes on the way up). Crampons were helpful for some icy sections of the trip along Gulfside over to the Jewell trail. We lost the trail for a bit coming down Jewell, so had to plow through some deeper snow, but on the trail microspikes were helpful and crampons would be a nuisance given all the exposed rock. The Jewell trail after you enter the scrub is nice and run-able.

I was up on Madison and Adams today. With the high winds there has been a lot of drifting in some areas, while others have been blown clean leaving blue ice. As Juniper pointed out, the Jewel trail can be difficult to find/follow above treeline with lots of spruce traps. With all the wind and drifting lately you might want to consider ascending that way and descending via the Ammo trail.