Ampersand Mountain 7/03/15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iAmKrzys

Reaction score
Parking coordinates: N 44 15.085 W 74 14.372
Map: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=44.251416&mlon=-74.239533&zoom=16#map=16/44.2511/-74.2403&layers=C
Round trip hike distance ~ 5.5 miles
Elevation gain ~ 1800 ft

Pictures: https://plus.google.com/photos/101652869443752713750/albums/6184873283600004961?authkey=COTRhd2T2LWXDw

Ampersand Mountain is a nice little peak short distance west of Saranac Lake. As it has been cleared of trees long time ago it offers great views of ADK High Peaks due southeast and lake country to the north.

The first part of the hike is just a walk in the park. Later the trail begins to rise with a couple of steeper sections that may require a bit of rock scrambling in few spots.

The weather was good, so I got really spectacular views all around. I must say that there were a lot of people at the top, but I arrived shortly before 3pm and all the people cleared out within half hour, so I ended up having the peak all to myself for a little while.

Last edited:
We did that hike a couple years ago when we were staying on an island in Saranac lake.

Nice bit of a climb on the way up the mtn. BUT... That long trail to it is boring as hell. We felt as though we were on an ant line on the way up, so many people ahead n behind us all the way up. I guess in Aug there are alot of tourists up there. We waited for people to leave so we could sit n have lunch.

We did that hike a couple years ago when we were staying on an island in Saranac lake.

Nice bit of a climb on the way up the mtn. BUT... That long trail to it is boring as hell. We felt as though we were on an ant line on the way up, so many people ahead n behind us all the way up. I guess in Aug there are alot of tourists up there. We waited for people to leave so we could sit n have lunch.

I totally agree about the crowds - I think you need to come either really early or late in the day to beat them.

There are no views until you get to the top but personally I don't mind as I could easily spend a day in the woods looking for any signs of wildlife and I wouldn't get bored. When I returned to the parking area I decided to take a stroll to Middle Saranac Lake on the other side of Rt 3 and I got rewarded with a sighting of what I believe was Maritime Garter Snake. The snake must have eaten something sizable recently as it was visibly thicker in the middle:
DSC00150.jpg DSC00161.jpg

We were camping on Lower Saranac Lake last week and paddled over for a hike, same as we did last year. Popular hike, but with a late start and a thunderstorm chasing us off the top we didn't encounter as many people as the parking lot would indicate. Still, a lot of unprepared people headed up into a thunderstorm.