AMS - Food Considerations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainman19

Reaction score
I am planning a trip to Grand Tetons National Park in Sept. I would expect to be b/w 8K and 9.7k the majority of the trip with an occassional stop above 10k (all camping in the 9k range).

I have read the recommendations to drink a lot of water, possibly take dimox, and try to acclimate yourself to the altitude by arriving a day or two earlier.

The first two I could manage, however the last is unlikely since we will flying in from Boston (sea level) and camping at about 8k the day we arrive.

I have also heard that I should stay away from fatty foods, sugars and any diuretics, alcohol and salty food.

I need to plan a 4 night meal trip. Historically, I have brought cheese, dyhraded meals (salty), energy bars. I sounds like I should be staying away from this diet. Any suggestions or comments on what you at on your trips at this altitude?

rainman19 said:
I am planning a trip to Grand Tetons National Park in Sept. I would expect to be b/w 8K and 9.7k the majority of the trip with an occassional stop above 10k (all camping in the 9k range).

I have read the recommendations to drink a lot of water, possibly take dimox, and try to acclimate yourself to the altitude by arriving a day or two earlier.

The first two I could manage, however the last is unlikely since we will flying in from Boston (sea level) and camping at about 8k the day we arrive.
Most people will be ok jumping to 8k. Just plan on an easy first day or two. A few may develop (potentially serious) problems, and if they do, go down. Diamox is way overkill for these altitudes--and it can have side effects. This altitude plan is a standard Colorado event--fly in to a ski area at 8K+ and stay for a few days.

Climb high, sleep as low as practical.

One trick that may help for short periods is intentional hyperventilation.

I have flown BOS -> Denver (5K, sleep 1 night), and next day a few short hikes up to 12K (with hyperventilation).

Everyone's response to altitude is highly individual and you cannot train for it, except by acclimatization. Just be ready to react appropriately to however people respond to the altitude.

I have also heard that I should stay away from fatty foods, sugars and any diuretics, alcohol and salty food.
Fatty foods would be ok after people have acclimatized. (They require more oxygen to digest than non-fatty foods.) Carb heavy will be best. (Sugar is a simple carb.) Diamox is a diuretic--you have to drink more to compensate. Alcohol won't help, is stronger at altitude, may contribute to headaches, and tends to dehydrate the drinker. Salty food also tends to dehydrate the drinker.

The standard advice about drink a lot of liquid is good--you should drink enough to produce a good quantity (1L or more per day) of clear to light colored urine. Biasing your food toward non-fat and low salt may help. (Don't forget that you will need enough salt to replace that lost in sweat--it will be a balancing act to get the right amount. Electrolyte drinks contain salt.)

Pick up a copy of "Going Higher" by Charles S. Huston if you want fairly complete coverage of man and altitude.

Doug

Last edited:
My experience is that I don't have any problems from altitude below 10K. I'd expect you'll be fine, just a bit slower hiking than your normal sea level pace. We spent 10 days this summer in Yellowstone / Grand Teton at 8K-10K and had no issues.

Last summer in the Tetons and Yellowstone all of us, including children, went from sea level to 7500' with no problems. A couple of us went to 10 and 12k shortly thereafter with no problems. At Rainier me and Paradox went from sea level to 5500 feet then up and down to 10k, then to 14k with no problems. And I mean no diet change, maybe some extra water and snacks, eating and drinking at night (except the 2 nights on the mountain). I guess my point is you may or may not have a problem, almost regardless. Little or no alcohol and extra water is probably the safest bet, but read my disclaimer.

Stay off the drugs... diamox is not worth it... its just preventative, it affects the release of bicarbonate from your kidneys and may change blood pH (this can affect a lot of things). This works by facilitating the release of CO2 from your Red blood cells in the lungs. It does nothing to treat AMS

Let your body adjust, you will feel like you accomplished more rather than relying on a pill

Lots of water 4-6 quarts a day, lots of carbs and low fats... as was already stated...

Good advice about sleeping as low as practical. You can move right to 9K and then try not to progress upwards of more than 1000 feet a night

Last edited:
May not be relevant anymore, but gingko is the only herbal supplement proven to assist in the prevention of AMS. It's easy to take. Two a day of 50-60 mg each.

That way you wouldn't have to take Diamox. Diamox is also bad for people with sulfa allergies.

Dexamethasone is helpful too.

As said before, most people can go up to 8k with little to no adverse effects. People, however, have required treatment for AMS at some of the Colorado ski lodges.

Interval training is really really helpful for preparing to be at altitude.

My husband has always suffered when he sleeps at altitude over 7K, waking up gasping during the night. This year Diamox helped him sleep great the week we were at Mammoth, CA, at about 8K. We climbed as high as 11K but he didn't think it made the hiking any easier. Still, totally worth it for him.

I flew from Boston to Denver and skied at Keystone that night at up to 12,000'. Aside from being feeling a little short of breath, I was fine. Unless there is some past history of issues, I wouldn't worry.

I flew from Boston to Denver and skied at Keystone that night at up to 12,000'. Aside from being feeling a little short of breath, I was fine. Unless there is some past history of issues, I wouldn't worry.
I attended a conference there--at least one attendee had to be treated for AMS and he never went above the base (~9Kft).

Response to altitude is highly individual--one person's response is a very poor predictor of another person's response. In fact, a person's previous response is not always a very good predictor of his future response. For instance, Sir Edmund Hillary was unable to go above 15K in his later years.

Doug

My high-altitude/travel doc told me that Diamox makes beer taste bitter. That was enough to stop me. Keeping hydrated and understanding that you are going to feel different and have less energy than you do at sea level until you are used to the higher elevation are two important reminders that I'd like to share. I've learned to "push through" the feelings of fatigue. HAPE and HICE and dangers, but HAFE is okay, though an uncomfortable altitude effect that I've experienced. :p

eruggles,

Diamox doesn't affect the taste of wine, though.:D

It's actually any carbonated drink. Usually it loses all of its taste. I know someone who threw out an entire case of beer before he knew the effect.

My high-altitude/travel doc told me that Diamox makes beer taste bitter
One of the effects of altitude (until fully acclimatized) is a disruption in breathing rhythms while sleeping. Alcohol has the same effect.