Announcing The Bascom GrillMasters 6th Annual Hiker Trash Work Party July 7-8-9, 2006

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

Reaction score
In regards to folks asking about trail work, and projects that are available to join in...

Announcing The Bascom GrillMasters
6th Annual Hiker Trash Work Party
July 7-8-9, 2006
===============================================
WHERE:
At The RPH Cabin, on the AT in Hopewell Jct, NY
If you are driving, take the Taconic State Parkway to the Miller Hill Rd exit, this is the exit south of I-84, go west off the exit, go down the steep hill, take your first left, at the end of the farmer's field on the left-hand side of the road is a small parking area you can use, we will also have the gate to the shelter property open for more parking as well.

WHEN:
July 7-8-9, 2006 (rain or shine) Food & Beverages will be provided all 3 days (or until it runs out…)

WORK :
There will be a variety of work activities from finishing the turnpiking installed last year, some waterbars and stone steps installed south of the
shelter, repairing the decking on the bridge out behind the shelter, as well as general maintenance in and around the shelter.

If you can bring any tools or supplies, please do so, we will need shovels, picks, stone/pry bars, buckets, and other assorted hand tools for trail work. Please remember, only hand tools, no powertools.

DETAILS:
We’ll be camping out, working, and cooking all weekend!

All are welcome to stay for the full weekend or just come in for a day or two, or even if it is just a couple of hours. Please contact us so we can plan the menus, we don't want to run out of food! We can support up to about 30 people.

For more information, please see Bascom's website: http://timtrek.mikentim.com or email: [email protected]

Come show your support for the Trail and have a great time with your fellow hikers... Don't be shy Stop on by!

Kevin's comments...
This year we have plenty of work activities planned that will keep us busy all weekend. For Trails Day, Tim had organized a work day on the AT near Longhill Road, we will be going back there to finish up some stone steps and install a bunch of waterbars. We will be doing plenty of projects right at the shelter as well, mainly finishing up the turnpiking, and fixing some items that were damaged this past winter.

There will be plenty of food available, besides our normal meals we have served; blueberry pancakes and egg sandwiches and cereals for breakfast, burgers and dogs for lunches, and steaks, chicken, and pork chops for dinner, we are adding more meals for our fellow veggie hikers and workers...
And it looks like we are going to do a little Tex-Mex theme as well for some of the meals with tacos, chili, and fajitas... YUM YUM... Lots of eats!!!

This work weekend is not associated with any one trail group, Tim puts in a lot of his own sweat and dollars into this project over the course of the year to make this weekend top notch for all involved.

See you on the trail!

Chip, sounds good, and yes, Saturday is the busiest day.

See you there...
Kevin

Having a mini VFTT reunion/gathering at the project would be fun... I am sure we could give some handy advice to those thru hikers that ask... Afterall, they are 'arriving' in our backyard...

Tom Rankin said:
XLNT! I'll try to be there for at least one day.
:D
I may have to make this a 2 nighter, get there friday early evening, meet, meat, beer, rest, work, work, meat, beer, rest, leave...something like that.

Just a Reminder

Hi all, Just a friendly reminder that the work weeked/hiker feed is fast approaching... Just a week away.

Looking forward to meeting any VFTT'ers that would like come down for some trail maintaince, eats, and some good times.

Catch you on the trail...
Kevin

What's the plan for Friday late afternoon (which, crap, I guess is tomorrow. Where did this week go)? I'll be at work, which is only 10 minutes down the road, so it would be easy to stop by.

I don't have any tools to bring ... but I'm assuming I can still pitch in some how. I also can bring some food/drinks if there is anything you need.

For Friday, I am not sure which projects Tim has scheduled, it will depend on how many people show up during the day. The biggest project will be the treadway restoration right next to the shelter, so I am sure he will focusing in on that Friday. Saturday is the main work day. I know by the shelter he is planning on a few waterbars, installing some boardwalk/puncheons, and doing some brushwork to clean up the trail.

On Saturday we are doing more of the treadway work, rebuilding part of the bridge that got trashed over the winter. I will be taking a crew of folks up to Longhill Road to finish up some stone steps, install a few waterbars and whatever else we decide to do.

Remember that breakfast, lunch and dinner are served both Friday and Sat and on Sunday we will be doing breakfast and lunch.

Don't worry if you don't have any tools... We always have extras, you may want gloves though because some of the lifting will be stones and logs. Also bring along your bug spray...

If you want to bring anything, ice is always appreciated, so would be snacks that hikers and the workers would like... Since we do meals, those are covered, including veggie options for each meal for those not inclined to eat eat.

I will be there Friday evening once I get out of work.

Directions if you don't know them are easy, take the Miller Hill Road exit off the Taconic Parkway, it is the first exit south of I84. Go down the off ramp, head west, go down the steep hill, take your first left which is Hortontown Road. In about 10 seconds at the end of the farmer's field there is a parking area on the left that you can use, otherwise, pull up to the chain at the driveway for the shelter and Tim will come over and open the gate if it is not.

Hope to see some of our VFTT'ers there!
Kevin

pudgy_groundhog said:
What's the plan for Friday late afternoon (which, crap, I guess is tomorrow. Where did this week go)? I'll be at work, which is only 10 minutes down the road, so it would be easy to stop by.

I don't have any tools to bring ... but I'm assuming I can still pitch in some how. I also can bring some food/drinks if there is anything you need.
Pudgy, are you planning on staying friday night and working sat. or just being there friday afternoon ? I'm working all day Sat. but am undecided about which night to stay.

Actually, today is not looking so good now. Now I'm thinking of coming tomorrow in the late morning. I don't plan on camping out. It sounds like there will be people working near the shelter so I won't need to worry about finding where people are. I'll bring some ice and goodies to share. See you tomorrow!

Not a problem about today, I just came from the shelter, cooked a few thrus some breakfast before work for myself.

Tomorrow will be the best day as it is the big work day out of the three, just arrive at the shelter, look for myself or Tim who is in charge and you will be put to work...

Looking forward to meeting up.

Have a great weekend everyone, where ever the trail takes you!
Kevin