Another reason to keep exercising

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
A NY Times article on high fat diets and brain function starts with:

'In recent years, some research has suggested that a high-fat diet may be bad for the brain, at least in lab animals. Can exercise protect against such damage?'

And concludes, at least for mice,

'exercise was “more effective than diet control in preventing high-fat diet-induced Alzheimer’s disease development" '.

Complete article.

Interesting article. However, I found the last paragraph distressing -

"...The amount of exercise required to potentially protect our brains from the possible depredations of marbled beef and cheesecake isn’t excessive, after all, he continues. His rats were running for the human equivalent of about a daily 30-minute jog. So if you can’t walk away from the buffet table, be sure to at least take a walk afterward."

So, what's the point? Spend your life eating to excess, but go for a walk every day and they'll be no consequences? Why is it is difficult for some to accept the possibility that eating large amounts of animal fat may shorten their lives/degrade their quality of life? Jeesh...

Last edited:
Interesting article. However, I found the last paragraph distressing -

"...The amount of exercise required to potentially protect our brains from the possible depredations of marbled beef and cheesecake isn’t excessive, after all, he continues. His rats were running for the human equivalent of about a daily 30-minute jog. So if you can’t walk away from the buffet table, be sure to at least take a walk afterward."

So, what's the point? Spend your life eating to excess, but go for a walk every day and they'll be no consequences? Why is it is difficult for some to accept the possibility that eating large amounts of animal fat may shorten their lives/degrade their quality of life? Jeesh...

Some meat lovers may object, but the key word is "large" -- I've successfully fooled my family by using textured vegetable protein in casseroles such as lasagna.