avalanche pass conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdog

Reaction score
ANYONE BEEN BACK TO AVALANCHE PASS IN THE LAST COUPLE DAYS? I WAS THINKING OF SKIING IT THIS WEEKEND BUT WAS WONDERING IF THERE WAS ENOUGH COVER. ITS PROBABLY A SHEET OF ICE.

I just returned from a ski to Avalanche Lake, and it is surprisingly good. The South Meadow Road has been plowed, and that is by far the preferred approach on the Marcy Dam Truck Trail. There are a few bare spots due to runoff from Wednesday's rain, but in between the skiing is good. The lake ice on Avalanche Lake is solid and mostly blown clean, which means no slush. Didn't get to Lake Colden, which may have slush problems even though the ice is thick enough to be safe. As noted by others last week, reports on Adirondack Backcountry conditions are available from the following page of the Lake Placid Visitor's Bureau web site: lakeplacid.com/flash/whattodo/z-xcountry.htm.

vaalanche pass trip

Hi guys and gals.

Hoping to get into and out of avalanche pass this coming weekend. i have done the trip in late fall to Beaver Pt. Lean-to. I Was wondering te expected time it should take average hikers with average winter packs, in snowshoes, to get to Beaver Pt this time of year. From the previous posts, it appears that crossing the lake may not be a safe idea.

We are planing on going in Friday am, and coming out, via Marcy Dam Saturday. We have considered a thru hike to Upper Works, if we can get picked up. is that a doable thru trip in one overnite?

any other suggestions? If Beaver Pt. is a little far, what are the odds of getting a lean-to at any of the Avalanche Camp lean-tos on a Friday afternoon?

BTW, i am typing now, because the Giant game is to PAINFUL to watch!!!

Thanks all...

Thru Trip

rtrimarc

If you can spot a car or arrange a pick up, a thru trip from ADK Loj to Upper Works is easily doable as an overnight. I've done it several times as a day trip.
Mostly will depend on conditions, but previous posts seem to point out that there's still plenty of snow.
Good luck with it, hope you get to do it, it is a great trip!!!