Backpacking the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcat32

Reaction score
I enjoy backpacking TRs but don’t see that many so here is mine from a couple weeks ago.
Looking for a spring trip close to home, I headed to the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness in the ADK a couple weeks ago. My goals were to see as much of the Wilderness as I could while visiting Pharaoh Mountain and Treadway and seeing as many bodies of water on my trip. I wanted a loop and minimal retracing my steps.
I looked over the map and came up with this 43 mile loop.
I had some good weather and the bugs were generally tolerable with the exception of a couple spots. Oddly I only saw two other hikers on my mid week hike during black fly season.
The full trip report and lots of photos at the link. Backpacking the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness

Great trip report and pictures! I've been meaning to explore this area. We make an annual trip to Lake George and stay just down the road from The Pharaoh Wilderness in Hague. I know this is a backpacking trip report but could you recommend some of the better trailheads for day hiking. Thanks in advance.

Pharoah%20Lake%20Wilderness%205.23-24.23%20181.jpg

Hey! I helped build that! :)

Much of the trailwork, including bridges—including this one—privies, lean-tos, et cetera, around Putnam Pond are the work of the Adk. 46er Trail Crew.

Pharoah%20Lake%20Wilderness%205.23-24.23%20181.jpg

Hey! I helped build that! :)

Much of the trailwork, including bridges—including this one—privies, lean-tos, et cetera, around Putnam Pond are the work of the Adk. 46er Trail Crew.
All the bridges in this area were in great shape. Thanks for the trail maintenance. Much appreciated.

Looks like a great area. I used to camp with non-hiking friends at Paradox Lake several years back and have wanted to do some backpacking here as well. It's come up as a recommendation from several of the NY members on here. Looks like I need to put this back on the radar.

Was "at large" camping allowed in this wilderness or did you have to use designated sites? I don't recall the rules for this particular area and my maps are somewhere in a box. Haven't been to NY in several years (well to the ADK's I should say. I go to the Catskills more now)

Looks like a great area. I used to camp with non-hiking friends at Paradox Lake several years back and have wanted to do some backpacking here as well. It's come up as a recommendation from several of the NY members on here. Looks like I need to put this back on the radar.

Was "at large" camping allowed in this wilderness or did you have to use designated sites? I don't recall the rules for this particular area and my maps are somewhere in a box. Haven't been to NY in several years (well to the ADK's I should say. I go to the Catskills more now)
There are 38 tent sites and 14 lean tos. Otherwise it’s the standard 150’ from roads,trails, water Etc. mid week I had no problems using a lean to. The area is relatively flat and it seemed like lots of opportunities for finding non designated sites.