Baxter - International Appalachian Trail backpacking loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onestep

Reaction score
I'm toying with the idea of doing an extended backpacking loop this fall. The plan is to exit Baxter State Park towards Katahdin Lake and then follow the International Appalachian Trail north to Matagamon Campground. From there a short road walk to re-enter Baxter State Park and return. Does anyone have beta to share? If not any online trip reports / blog posts available (Google search hasn't turned up any for me).

Thanks!

I was looking into the IAT East Branch Section. I am doing this fall. http://www.internationalatmaine.org/ This website has links to maps and a guide downloadable for this IAT section and is fairly useful for planning. Its basically an online trailguide.
If your itinerary takes you out of the park BSP authority is strict about overnight cars in the park. Maybe starting and ending at Matagammon campground would solve this. Make sure you have permits for camping worked out in park ahead of time. I don't know how full Russel Pond corridor gets ahead of time assuming thats what you'd be doing.

I can recommend Rick @ Mt Chase lodge to help with logistics (car spot, shuttle, etc) We worked with Rick for a scout trip a couple of summers ago and they were very accommodating. They are located right outside Matagamon. You certainly do not need any support if you do the loop from Matagamon, but it is nice to know that there are options out there.
While canoeing the E. Branch, from time to time, our portages would run along the IAT. So, while a remote experience, you can certainly expect to run into people while you are out there.