Baxter State Park in the Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyohman

Reaction score
Currently, I am a part of a group that is planning on doing some winter hiking in Baxter State Park soon. We are awaiting confirmation. Our plan is:

Day 1 - Trout Brook Farm
Day 2 - South Branch Pond
Day 3 - Traveler Mountain
Day 4 - 13.2 miles out.

I'm not concerned about hiking in on the tote roads. We're all strong hikers. My main concern is Traveler Mountain.

Has anyone done a winter traverse of the Traveler? Has anyone done any hiking up there recently? I assume there is snow. I'm thinking of a combo of snowshoes/crampons and ice axe. I've been playing phone tag with Baxter State Park, but it's hard when you live on the West Coast. Thanks in advance for information.

Yeah, there's snow. Bookmark this for weather. Calling the Park will get you snow depth and road conditions.
I'm thinking of a combo of snowshoes/crampons and ice axe.
Skis for tote road, a haul sled, head lamps, thermometer, wind chill chart...
You've already mailed in your form?
When you say traverse of the Traveler, you mean the Loop? That's a long day, even in the summer.
Keep calling Park HQ with your questions, next to a first hand recent trip report, they are your best info source.

Thanks TJ. Do I really need the xc-skis? I was just going to snowshoe in with my pack. I know skis would be faster, but I would prefer to minimize equipment. Have a head lamp, thermometer, and will print out a wind chill chart. We're following the Baxter State Park Winter Use Guide. I sure hope the group leader mailed the form in. The trip is slated to start next Friday.

I am talking the Traveler Loop. I am aware it's a long hike. Personally, it won't bother me if we skip it or only do part of it. I'll try giving Baxter a call again tomorrow. Thanks again.

Ski s might be quicker down hill if you are good. Uphill snow shoes are equal and you may splay less. So you will need snow shoes and crampons and maybe not skis.

I've got MSR snowshoes and Black Diamond crampons. Should be good. Thanks.