Best winter Sleeping PAD?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daxegraphix

Reaction score
It's time for me to freeze again, so I thought I'd find out how everybody else does it--or avoids it. I've used self-inflators, closed cells, etc. with bad luck in Jan, Feb, March. I haven't tried combining the two yet--just heard about it. Are there any good 4 season closed cells that you've had good luck with?
Any help appreciated.
Pete O.

3/4" Ridge Rest with old full length standard Orange (rust) Thermarest. I put the T-rest on top of the Ridge Rest.
Ridge Rests are actually fairly thin. (I measured the thickness of the actual material once, but don't remember the exact number.)

I'd use at least 1/2 inch of closed cell foam. (2 x 3/8 inch REI blue foam would be good.)

I generally use 1/2 inch closed cell foam (full length) and a thermarest on top. Comfort and safety. (The Thermarest alone is inadequate and any kind of inflatable without some closed cell foam is dangerous if it leaks.)

Doug

Last edited:
I recently purchased a Big Agnes pad which looks like one of those inflatable mattresses you see in a pool. It is extremely comfortable. I noticed they sold an insulated version for winter so that's an option for you.

Two words... Exped Downmat. You'll never be cold again. Forget all this double pad business.

3/4" Ridge Rest with old full length standard Orange (rust) Thermarest. I put the T-rest on top of the Ridge Rest.

Yeah, what he said, 'cept a full-length Ridge Rest. (And anyone who puts the Thermarest on the bottom will be called out --we've been down this path before . ;) )

Two words... Exped Downmat. You'll never be cold again. Forget all this double pad business.

I'm curious. I do not doubt the insulation qualities, but have you actually tried to deflate one and put it in the sack at subzero temps? Every one of these that I fumbled with took so long that I advised people to stay the you-know-what away from them. Is it just me?

I recently purchased a Big Agnes pad which looks like one of those inflatable mattresses you see in a pool. It is extremely comfortable. I noticed they sold an insulated version for winter so that's an option for you.

I've been using a BA inflatable for years, but it's freezin'-friggin'-cold in the winter; maybe the insulated is different.

I use a Satanmart closed-cell combined with a cheapo open-cell; works fine. I have a "four-season" Thermarest, but it's inflatable, and I am very skeptical.

It also helps, if tenting, to have a well-stomped snow-pad. Lean-to floors are noticeably colder.

REI makes a 3.5 inch sleeping pad now: http://www.rei.com/product/778153

I haven't used it, but I'd imagine it's pretty good. The R-value is 7, which is pretty good (the therma-a-rest "dreamtime" and the exped downmat have an R-value of 8).
6 lbs 11 oz and 78x29 inches. Probably nice for car camping in a large tent...

What is the R-value if it leaks? (IMO no inflatable is safe in winter without a closed cell backup.)

Doug

I'm in the closed-cell phone plus inflatable camp.

Personally, I think the best closed-cell is Evazote, available from MEC. It's a bit heavier/bulkier than other foamies, but ... it's warm and durable.

Used an Exped Downmat camping in northern VT with my brother in law. I had no issue compressing it.

3 words --- my own bed ...... :D

I love hiking in the winter, but camping not so much.

I use the BA insulated inflatable w/ 2 cheap-o blue close cell pads, one cut in half.
The full length close cell goes down first. I place the 2 cut halves down next pulling the pieces apart in the middle and letting the ends curl up over my head and feet.
The BA insulated pad goes on top.

I'm 6-1 and lying in the tent my feet and head will hit the tent fabric. Having the pad between my feet, head and tent fabric is a must.

There is nothing more critical (for me) than to get a good nights sleep while out in the mountains. :)

This but the Ridge Rest on the bottom. I actually use a full Ridge Rest, but cut it into a 1/3 and a 2/3 piece. They are then easier to maneuver around the campsite as a bench and something to stand on. When it's time for bed, they both go in the tent. The 1/3 piece goes with me year around as always something to sit on.

If I'm camping with wife (and dog) I will bring a total of three closed foam pads of some type that have been cut to line the entire tentfloor.

Some confusion from my original post.

I use a Full length Ridge Rest that is 3/4" thick. Not a 3/4 length ridge Rest.
Originally they came in 2 thicknesses 5/8" and 3/4". I picked mine up about 15 years ago, but I don't know what they are now.

Sorry for any confusion...

Some confusion from my original post.

I use a Full length Ridge Rest that is 3/4" thick. Not a 3/4 length ridge Rest.
Originally they came in 2 thicknesses 5/8" and 3/4". I picked mine up about 15 years ago, but I don't know what they are now.

Sorry for any confusion...
Thanks, but I don't think I was confused:

The ridge rest is 3/4 inch from a flat surface above to a flat surface below (ie total thickness = ridges + foam thickness). (IIRC, the foam thickness is ~3/8 inch.) The primary insulation is in the foam, not the airspaces of the ridges so its insulation value is much closer to the insulation value of a 3/8 inch flat pad than the insulation value of a 3/4 inch flat pad.

The ridges actually reduce the insulation value (by increasing the area for heat loss) but the airspaces created by the ridges are claimed to increase the insulation value. (Of course, the ridges are flattened under body weight which would decrease their value.) One would need the R-value of a flat pad using the same amount of foam to determine whether the ridges actually help or are just a gimmick (and both R-values should be measured with the pads compressed by body weight).

Currently listed on the REI website:
* RR Regular: 5/8 inch, R-value 2.6, 20x72 inches, 14 oz (regular)
* RR Deluxe: 3/4 inch, R-value 3.1, 20x72 inches, 19 oz (regular)
(Don't know if these R-values were measured under a simulated body weight--my guess is that they were not.)
* REI standard blue foam (3/8 inch), R-value ?, 20x72 inches, 8 oz. (Sold as 24x75 inches, 10oz. The above weight is for a pad cut down to 20x72 to match the RRs.)

Thus, 2 REI blue foams would be lighter than, most likely give more insulation than, and would probably pack larger than a 3/4 inch RR. (And, of course, you could carry just one blue foam in warm weather.)

Doug

Last edited: