Big Sugarloaf Expansion Approved

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To quote the article: "The goal of the project is to build the next generation of families who will consistently ski at the mountain, Austin added. The plans also call for more than 150 new units of single-family homes, condos and duplexes. Sugarloaf envisions these units being sold to families and visitors, not for workforce housing". Well ain't that special! This is a prime example of the corporate mentality that is so out of touch with the realities around them.

When the media interviews you, they often ask you questions that do not appear on camera or in print. So you have to think carefully about how you answer. Here, the spokesperson for the project undoubtedly was asked whether the scope included workforce housing and he should have said no but we have another project dedicated to that. Since he didn’t, the reporter should have inquired before printing the entire quote. Would have been just as simple to have left off the end of the quote. In any event, the spokesperson was just trying to answer the scope question but in so doing left the door open for criticism because all the facts weren’t disclosed. Happens all the time and the media is happy to have it that way.

When the media interviews you, they often ask you questions that do not appear on camera or in print. So you have to think carefully about how you answer. Here, the spokesperson for the project undoubtedly was asked whether the scope included workforce housing and he should have said no but we have another project dedicated to that. Since he didn’t, the reporter should have inquired before printing the entire quote. Would have been just as simple to have left off the end of the quote. In any event, the spokesperson was just trying to answer the scope question but in so doing left the door open for criticism because all the facts weren’t disclosed. Happens all the time and the media is happy to have it that way.
Excellent explanation and thanks to Mac also for the link. I guess they forgot to mention that the property they are buying for housing might be haunted too. LOL.

I have heard that many of the so called worker housing options that get mentioned in the press are generally for the guest worker visa workers who would otherwise be completely priced out of the local market. My guess is the Sugarloaf option is probably the same. The guest workers rarely have any sort of transportation so having it in town allows them to the option to shop. Generally, the resort will have some sort of transportation between the housing and the resort which can be mixed experience for the workers as it allows the resort to control when and if workers are allowed leave during busy periods. Generally, the resorts hire local retirees, college students, and younger english speaking, usually fair skinned, guest workers to be the "front end" workers who are in contact with the guests while the folks in the back end operations are whomever they can get and they prefer guest visa workers as they have control over them. If front end visa worker doesnt give 100% they get moved to the back end. Many of the guest workers are in debt when they start the season as they have to pay a commission to a broker to get them the job along with transportation, they cannot switch jobs as the visa is tied to the employer so they are effectively stuck with their employer for the season no matter how they are treated. Worse case is there is always another batch waiting in line to come the next season as long as the US government issues enough visas. Guests at these resorts really dont want to see or how they get the experience they expect.

I have heard that many of the so called worker housing options that get mentioned in the press are generally for the guest worker visa workers who would otherwise be completely priced out of the local market. My guess is the Sugarloaf option is probably the same. The guest workers rarely have any sort of transportation so having it in town allows them to the option to shop. Generally, the resort will have some sort of transportation between the housing and the resort which can be mixed experience for the workers as it allows the resort to control when and if workers are allowed leave during busy periods. Generally, the resorts hire local retirees, college students, and younger english speaking, usually fair skinned, guest workers to be the "front end" workers who are in contact with the guests while the folks in the back end operations are whomever they can get and they prefer guest visa workers as they have control over them. If front end visa worker doesnt give 100% they get moved to the back end. Many of the guest workers are in debt when they start the season as they have to pay a commission to a broker to get them the job along with transportation, they cannot switch jobs as the visa is tied to the employer so they are effectively stuck with their employer for the season no matter how they are treated. Worse case is there is always another batch waiting in line to come the next season as long as the US government issues enough visas. Guests at these resorts really dont want to see or how they get the experience they expect.
Have you worked in this industry and is this first hand experience or do you have some other knowledge base. Otherwise this comes across as a speculative generalized observation. I have first hand contact with the industry and I have not experienced what you are stating. I also find a few of your comments I am not going to quote a bit derogatory.

No I have not worked in the industry, but I have talked directly to several folks over the years who were on tourist visas working for different resorts. A little hard to refute or discuss your general shoot from the hip comments but I will leave it at that.

No I have not worked in the industry, but I have talked directly to several folks over the years who were on tourist visas working for different resorts. A little hard to refute or discuss your general shoot from the hip comments but I will leave it at that.
It is very possible that what your saying goes on. But I do not think it is fair to make a generalization across the industry. The skiing experience and it's management comes in many flavors. Sugarloaf a Boyne Resorts corporately owned resort is not the same as a privately owned resort for example. Personally having worked and played at various resorts I have been in contact with many of these folks. I would paint a more positive picture. I'm sure there are disgruntled employees that may have miscalculated what they got them selves into. But I would surmise that is more the exception than the rule. If you look at the demographic the foreigners on a work visa are in there late teens and early 20's. They are here for an adventure as many of them are hard core skiers from Europe and the Southern Hemisphere and also work at other ski areas that are open when we are having Summer. The other reason many of them are here is to better their speaking of English with the intent of going to College in the US. Many if not most come from well to do families so their means are well taken care of. They are not 40 or 50 somethings looking to bank in on their retirement. Yes maybe they arrive with expenses that were needed to get here but to paint a picture of being in debt with their freedoms limited as if they were in some sort of work imprisonment is a stretch. Most communities support these folks and realize their contributions to the overall effort.

Last edited:
It is very possible that what your saying goes on. But I do not think it is fair to make a generalization across the industry. The skiing experience and it's management comes in many flavors. Sugarloaf a Boyne Resorts corporately owned resort is not the same as a privately owned resort for example. Personally having worked and played at various resorts I have been in contact with many of these folks. I would paint a more positive picture. I'm sure there are disgruntled employees that may have miscalculated what they got them selves into. But I would surmise that is more the exception than the rule. If you look at the demographic the foreigners on a work visa are in there late teens and early 20's. They are here for an adventure as many of them are hard core skiers from Europe and the Southern Hemisphere and also work at other ski areas that are open when we are having Summer. The other reason many of them are here is to better their speaking of English with the intent of going to College in the US. Many if not most come from well to do families so their means are well taken care of. They are not 40 or 50 somethings looking to bank in on their retirement. Yes maybe they arrive with expenses that were needed to get here but to paint a picture of being in debt with their freedoms limited as if they were in some sort of work imprisonment is a stretch. Most communities support these folks and realize their contributions to the overall effort.

I was thinking the worker community meant more the additional construction jobs to build the new facilities and infrastructure Vs. the employees. The ski areas have had seasonal employees at the larger areas for some time, so ski area employees and their communities should be used to each other and helping out as you suggest.