big tandem sea kayak recommendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikerfast

Reaction score
i was sitting in my 17 footer in decent waves up at acadia once, and feeling a little unstable. some couples were in these 22 foot necky nootka tandems. these people were hardly even moving(rocking) in these waves, never seen anything like it. These bad boys are 4500 bucks new, and no used ones in sight, fiberglass only it appears. I've been surfing the web looking for big tandem kayaks, hoping i could get something cheaper, or at least find a range. llbeans had a 18.6 current designs, plastic, for 2000. much cheaper, but also much smaller. rei has a 19'6 for 3500 bucks. does anyone know of anything near the size of the necky, plastic, and cheaper? any info at all is appreciated, actually. the ways these necky's looked, you could take off to bermuda in them

Current Designs Unity is 21 ft., 26" beam, 85 lbs., capacity 750 lbs. and room for plenty of gear for paddle camping. Tracks nicely and is swift ... a characteristic which, together with lightweight paddles, makes a long paddle or strong headwind/current relatively painless. Not for whitewater ... nicknamed "Queen Mary" by one of my friends.

I have never tested it in a beam sea. I always adjust course to take any chop at an angel ... almost like tacking a sailboat at times!

I think they can be found new for around $3K. I bought mine at Charles River Kayak in Newton, MA and, though it may be a bit overkill for half of our paddling, it is comfortable to have on camping trips or long distances.

We paddle a Boreal Designs... Beluga..at 21 ft 76 pounds (kevlar).
I know their plastic tandem weighed in at 100 lbs, so that is why we did not go for plastic. I love paddling tandem, you can easily cover a lot of miles at good speed plus they are excellent for wildlife observations, lunch breaks on the go and things like that. (and of course camping)

....for the most part we buy used boats, though we bought that one new, there are many nice lightly used boats out there in kayak land... good luck

thanks for the info. where is the best place to look for a used kayak as was mentioned? 1000 bucks for a big tandem fiberglass sounds like a bargain to me

I would prowl paddling.net, nspn.org, smskn.org, uncle henry's and craigslist. Craigslist in ME, NH, VT, CT and RI. If the seller meets you halfway it's still worth the travel time.

I will keep an eye too and post here if I see anything.

Here is one for 1600 with a lot of extra accessories. price is always negotiable.

paddling.net has:
(NY) Tandem expedition sea kayak Boreal Beluga, fiberglass, 21' L X28" W. Three large hatches, rudder, yellow top, white bottom, stored inside. New $3075, Selling for $1800. Very good condition. Set of Rolleez wheels included. -- Submitted by: AGabriella

81044.jpg

From the Chesapeake Kayaker:

www.cpakayaker.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7679

For Sale: Necky Manitou II Tandem Kayak
Necky Manitou II Tandem Kayak with Rudder. Blue. Includes 2 spray skirts and cockpit covers.
Great family kayak. $800

If you're interested, please send me an email through this forum. I'm located in Richmond, VA.

i got a 22.5 foot necky nootka, 6 years old, used dozen times. outfitter edition. looks real nice, cant wait to get out in it. paid 2400 with spray skirt and cockpit covers, the boat alone is 5000 new for that edition. worry i spent a little much, but i should have this for 30 years, then give it to my nieces. this thing is just what i was looking for. necky nootka.jpg

i got a 22.5 foot necky nootka, 6 years old, used dozen times. outfitter edition. looks real nice, cant wait to get out in it. paid 2400 with spray skirt and cockpit covers, the boat alone is 5000 new for that edition. worry i spent a little much, but i should have this for 30 years, then give it to my nieces. this thing is just what i was looking for. View attachment 5077

Lovely! Enjoy. My Current Designs Unity is 21' and even on an SUV it looks like we could possibly go airborn. It'll draw a lot of attention.

i have saddles instead of j hooks. i put an ensolite pad the long way over the back windshield and trunk,and took it off the car last night slid it backwards, placed the end on the ground. then walked up and took the front part and up and off the saddle and down to the ground. all went well. i slid it on the grass to the corner of the yard, and put plastic sheet over it held down with some wood. im assuming sliding it across the grass was ok(kevlar bottom). i suddenly realized i cant just slide this down an asphalt ramp for a few feet like i do with my plastic kayaks, and it would be a challenge to hold it sideways by the hatch and carry it alone. i must need some kind of device to carry this, or something to wrap around the end to protect the bottom if i dragged it by the front? any ideas..help? i think i have seen pictures of little wheely carts for kayaks, though never seen one in use

addendum: i am aware 2 guys should be able to carry this. i was asking about a carrying device for when i am with...cough...a smaller person.(like a kid)

We have a Thule Hullavator which makes the transfer on and off the vehicle so much easier. With a high SUV we'd have great difficulty getting it on the roof ... without some damage to car, boat or both.

We have a foldable cart that has seen portages on some rough trails ... partly wheeling and partly carrying it. Larger wheels are better than small wheels as they give better clearance over rocks, roots etc. and better leverage to roll over some of that stuff. Pay attention to how it secures to the boat as a flimsy rig will be very aggravating over a rough surface.

I haven't loaded or unloaded by myself but have paddled it alone and it handled nicely. It could have used a little ballast in the hatch up forward but I don't think it would be a good way to get a paddling partner if you ask them to be your ballast.

We also use a cart much like Stan's.
It comes in mighty handy esp if the tide is out and it's a long walk through the sand etc.
(we also use it here in the yard if need be). Many many times when launching we look for drift wood to use as "rollers" and more often than not launch beside a boat ramp... in a pinch if there is nothing else to use to protect the bottom of the boat we will use our life jackets, they are well padded and with a longer boat often part of the boat is in the water and part on a rocky shore where it is more likely to need some protection.

Thought I would mention, as a rule of thumb, when covering up the boat with the plastic it's a good idea to keep the wood off the boat itself (esp for long periods time). We actually have canvas Kayaks covers though I forget how long they are...I can check them out if you would like or you can send a message if want more info.
Good luck ...happy paddling

Finding a stock tarp for winter storage has been a problem for me. I cut up an old 40x40 construction tarp but that's seen better days and patched here and there with duct tape.

curiosity got the best of me so I took a look at the ones we have.
Turns out they are approx 18' made by a company called Danuu..kayak and canoe covers.
They have a dot com address in case they make other sizes. I do remember they were a bit pricy at the time, but well made.

took the new necky nootka out in salem harbor yesterday in some choppy seas with wind. This thing is incredibly stable. at no point at all did i feel like we tipping or even close to it. I can't even imagine what kind of water u could be in that would threaten this ocean liner. went about 10 or 15 miles from david lynch park to marblehead, along the chain of misery islands, had lunch on little misery and a hike, then straight back to the park. my arms are tired. this thing seems to be exactly what i remember when i saw others in it in choppy water. nice