Bird of prey

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yvon

Reaction score
Here is one of mine, a Cooper's Hawk with his lunch, taken with my Nikon D70 and 70-200VR

eperviercooper949c.jpg

Wow, great shot, doesn't get much better than this! I think the exposure was probably pretty tough considering the bright background, but there is plenty of detail in his body/face for an overall very nice effect.

Great shots already showing up here!

w7xman said:
the exposure was probably pretty tough considering the bright background, but there is plenty of detail in his body/face for an overall very nice effect.

Great shots already showing up here!

Yes but, i had the flash on it.

You were correct to use the flash. It probably would have been impossible to get the image without it because of the bright sky and the hawk being in the shadows. However, the flash also appears to have caught the nearby branch behind the bird, rendering it very bright. Unlike the fairly bright foliage in the background the branch is rather sharp in focus which draws attention away from the bird. Sometimes it is possible to move to a slightly different angle to eliminate the branch, but that might not have possible here.

It is always more important to get the shot which you did well, and if necessary deal with the distractions that are out of your control later. With photo editing software you might be able to darken the branch, or perhaps digitally remove it, and paint in some more out of focus foliage. Good work.

Nice capture at a dramatic moment with the wings open. Good use of the flash to lighten up a back lit subject.

I agree with Mark that the birch tree (?) in the background is distracting. I don't know if it was possible where you were, but if you could have moved to the left you might have been able to get a clearer background.

Nice work though.

- d

The posters above covered what I was thinking, but I just wanted to add that I think it's a really neat shot. I like that you captured him with his wings spread.

What does the 70-200VR mean?

darren said:
Nice capture at a dramatic moment with the wings open. Good use of the flash to lighten up a back lit subject.

I agree with Mark that the birch tree (?) in the background is distracting. I don't know if it was possible where you were, but if you could have moved to the left you might have been able to get a clearer background.

Nice work though.
If you spend a lot of time moving around and setting up for the perfect animal shot, you probably won't get it! :D

pudgy_groundhog said:
What does the 70-200VR mean?

70-200VR is the Nikon lens used in the shot.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70200vr.htm

70-200 is the range of focal lengths that the lens zooms through. This particular lens is a telephoto zoom lens.

70mm is the short end, 200mm is the long end. Old thinking is that 50mm is the width of scene that the human eye sees, which makes this lens a telephoto.

VR means vibration reduction, allowing the user to not use a tripod at slower shutter speeds.

Tom Rankin said:
If you spend a lot of time moving around and setting up for the perfect animal shot, you probably won't get it! :D

You are totaly right Tom.
Here is the story of this picture.
I was watching this Hawk for a certain time and shooting several photos of him. Suddenly, a squirrel climb on the tree. When I took this photo the squirrel had just arrived on the same branch of the Hawk. I think the Hawk desired to afraid him, that's why he opened his wings. It was very fast, and I have time only to take 2 very fast shots.
I did not have time to pick the best position to take those 2 pics. But I took them, and I got them.

yvon, you are right. It is always good to hear what people say would improve a photo though. Would/possibility are often two different things though - as you stated. However in the future you and everyone that reads this thread will have "get that tree out of there" in the back of their minds when they line up shots. :D

Again, nice shot.

- darren