Black fly season White Mountains in NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newba

Reaction score
We have a planned trip in the White Mountains in NH for the week starting on Mother's Day. Recently, I heard that this is the worst time for black flies. We were thinking that if we buy netting to go over our hats, wear full-body netting, with light colored clothing, repellent, and clips to keep clothes tight, we'll be fine, although we might look like a pair of bee keepers hiking. Will that work, or is it crazy to go out at that time....is it kind of like a war zone?
Also, will it be difficult finding places to stop to drink water or eat since presumably we'd have to remove our nets temporarily to do so?

Thanks for any replies. :)

Last edited:
If the weather is mild, I find that hiking with a headnet is unbearably hot. Most repellants are ineffective against black flies. It's best to cover as much skin as possible. Wear a headnet if you can tolerate it. Still, snacking and hydrating will inevitably expose some skin. Plan to inhale at least one or two black flies, but swat any that land on your skin. Unfortunately, you're still apt to be bitten- a painful, itchy bite that will last for months if you have sensitive skin.

I don't recall the black flies season in the White Mountains to be biblical. Just wearing long sleeves and long pants and having gloves and headnet available if necessary or for brief stops may be the best way to go.

Baxter State Park black fly season OTOH could be life changing haha...in some spots...

I always found it amusing that the black flies seemed to be the worst right at the Park Gate.

I did have one stay at Daicey Pond when our son was a newborn...we could not really go outside of our cabin with him for more than a few minutes at a time.

Because I get up to the Whites sporadically I can't say I've ever had a hellish blackfly experience. A couple years on the Carter Moriah range in June was pretty bad but as long as I kept moving they weren't awful. I've been on trails in late May/early June and haven't experienced any - so prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

The standard advice is they come to visit Mothers Day and leave on Father's day. They are far worse in wet areas near running water as that is where they breed. (black flies are trout food). They are out during the day but leave as it cools down in the evening. That said, they come and gosome days seemingly at random during the season. Netting can make things tolerable during the bad days, not needed on the good ones. If you are moving, most days they are usually an annoyance at best but if you stop moving that will swarm in. Plan your breaks in areas with breezes. Therefore if someone were to come up camping and remain at one location it could be a difficult week but if someone is out hiking daily less of issue except post hike. If you are at a campground make sure you have refuge like a fly with netting.

BTW and FWIW after giving Picaridin based repellent and experiencing its very unpleasant after effect when it got in my eyes from sweat coming off my head, I can not recommed it as it was nearly a day before my eyes were back to normal. I will stick with my old standby a 3M ultrathon. Its DEET based but a lower percentage with some added ingredients that make it last longer by reducing how quickly its absorbed by the skin. Most "natural repellents will work for some limited period in low bug conditions but most get sick of having to reapply frequently. The one caveat with Ultrathon is that its a bit harder to find at retail stores. I just add it to Amazon order pre season. The key like many repellents especially DEET is apply far less than you would think.

I don't recall the black flies season in the White Mountains to be biblical. Just wearing long sleeves and long pants and having gloves and headnet available if necessary or for brief stops may be the best way to go.

Baxter State Park black fly season OTOH could be life changing haha...in some spots...

I always found it amusing that the black flies seemed to be the worst right at the Park Gate.

I did have one stay at Daicey Pond when our son was a newborn...we could not really go outside of our cabin with him for more than a few minutes at a time.
Ha ha! Does THAT ever bring back memories! Back about 20 years ago, we drove up to Baxter and went right in. Was surprised there was no line, needed no reservations, etc. We got a tent spot at the Abol Spring campsite. We found out why the next couple days. Those were our old naïve days and we figured we'd climb Katadhin. There was a heat wave, too. Prema was going up Abol Slide, 50 feet ahead of me, covered with them and giving me the look (and she never wants to turn around on anything. Went to Miilenocket, invested in the netting suits, and that didn't even work. Stopped for pizza; huge fans were blowing (no AC), and sad sullen faces covered with bites were trying to enjoy their food. Spent a lot of time canoeing on Daicey Pond.

I hiked in the Whites for 35 years before, I even bought a head net. I use Ben's 30% deet, Deet is critical for true protection. Don't use perfumes, colognes, or any deodorants whatsoever.

I recommend exactly the same pair of anti-black fly weapons as Sierra: a head net and Ben's 30%. Assuming you can cover your arms and legs with lightweight clothing, the Ben's is only needed for your wrists and hands.

Because spring seems to be coming 2+ weeks sooner than normal in the Whites, there is a decent chance that by mid-May the black flies will already have peaked at "ground level" and begun their downward spiral.

At elevation, the peak normally occurs around the first week of July. With your timing, I think you're likely to be OK at elevation, even taking into account spring's early arrival.

Alex

BTW Ultrathon is 34% Deet. No need for 100% as the effectiveness for black flies is peaks out in the 30% range. On the other hand its effectiveness as a plastics solvent 9its original use) is far more effective at 100%.

I bought it after you suggested it here. I hardly use any bug dope in general but once in a while it is necessary

How about when black fly season starts coming to an end. Then the mosquitoes start coming out.

How about when black fly season starts coming to an end. Then the mosquitoes start coming out.
And overlapping the season is the arrival of deer flies and horse flies, not to mention punkies (noseeums) on warm humid nights. For a long time I regularly used a high percentage Deet product along with maintaining near constant daytiem travel movement and a net being necessary only when stopped for rest or at camp.

Several years ago I had an interesting comparison experience when solo paddling along with a friend on an Adirondack lake one time. I was using, probably something with a modern mix of Deet, and was suffering getting eaten alive. But when I paddled over next to my friend it was as if a protective bubble shield surrounded his canoe with no black flies near him at all. He was using "Ole Tyme Woodsman", the original formula, which I remember my father used decades ago. It has a very unique odor to it that permeats the user's environment. Probably similar to what Nessmuk described in his book. I hoarded a bottle of his for years until it was gone. Turns out the original OTW manufacturer sold the company, and the new owner changed the formula due to some environmental concern, resulting in a product that did not work nearly as well. So it went into disfavor and not many people used it or learned of the original value. Later I heard the original formula returned, so I bought some. It does seem to work noticeably better than Deet or other newer products.

And overlapping the season is the arrival of deer flies and horse flies, not to mention punkies (noseeums) on warm humid nights. For a long time I regularly used a high percentage Deet product along with maintaining near constant daytiem travel movement and a net being necessary only when stopped for rest or at camp.

Several years ago I had an interesting comparison experience when solo paddling along with a friend on an Adirondack lake one time. I was using, probably something with a modern mix of Deet, and was suffering getting eaten alive. But when I paddled over next to my friend it was as if a protective bubble shield surrounded his canoe with no black flies near him at all. He was using "Ole Tyme Woodsman", the original formula, which I remember my father used decades ago. It has a very unique odor to it that permeats the user's environment. Probably similar to what Nessmuk described in his book. I hoarded a bottle of his for years until it was gone. Turns out the original OTW manufacturer sold the company, and the new owner changed the formula due to some environmental concern, resulting in a product that did not work nearly as well. So it went into disfavor and not many people used it or learned of the original value. Later I heard the original formula returned, so I bought some. It does seem to work noticeably better than Deet or other newer products.
I can remember that smell even though I haven’t sniffed any of it for 40 years. Woodsman not only repelled bugs but everything around the person wearing it. You could lace a bandanna once with that stuff and it would last all summer. We use to do just that. Hit the bandana with the dope. Then tie it to one end of a stick. Do that once for every member in your party and stake them in the ground around the perimeter of your campsite. I swear you could have left a pan of bacon out and even the bears were still repelled. You can still buy it on Amazon. I still have a bottle from 1968 as one drop of the stuff was all you needed.😜

Thanks everyone for your replies. We got back from our trip. There were some bugs in places; not sure if they were black flies, but no bites. On one hike, I forgot to put on any repellent at all, and something did fly into my nose and ear, but it wasn't bad at all. Another time we brought some high-DEET repellent and when there were some bugs, we put it on, and they all avoided us. Seems I was concerned about the wrong thing, since one basically couldn't go much above 3000 feet without some sort of Microspikes, crampons, or something to handle the "monorail" icy conditions. But we had a great time.

They were out big time in afternoon in Gorham today (Sunday) and last Friday.
I read “The Maine Woods“ by Thoreau in which he documents several canoe trips deep into the Maine backcountry, which of course involved lots of camping.

He and his guides has a simple prescription for keeping the bugs away: build as smoky fire as possible, wrap yourself head to toe in a heavy wool blanket and lie down as close as possible to that fire until morning.

And you think we got bug problems!

Note on head nets: I took a nasty face plant a few weeks ago tripping over the nub of a root I did not see due obscured visibility caused by my head net. I was descending and moving quickly (Due to bugs:).

My unimog backhoe is a diesel old enough to not have any emissions controls, it seems to work quite well as a fogger when I am working firewood. My splitter on the other hand is modern gas engine and it does not work as well.

This will be our first spring without black flies in 42 years. We will miss them! Out here at this time of year we have Miller Moths. Harmless moths that just seem to be everywhere. They migrate up the Front Range and apparently are good for the environment (which black flies are also) but they are harmless to humans.

Repellent doesn't stop them from getting sucked into one's lungs or them flying into the eyes. And that they do 100 %. So nets are recommened from me when they are getting to be that way on the trail.