Black fly season White Mountains in NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They were out big time in afternoon in Gorham today (Sunday) and last Friday.
Ditto while doing yard work in Thornton on Sunday, and some even got inside my headnet. ☹️

Escaped the black flies while skiing Hillman’s Highway in Tuckerman’s today, but they were waiting for us in the Pinkham parking lot on our return late this afternoon.

I only wear a head net when I am doing trail work because I can usually out run them. The worst thing about wearing a head net is when you forget it is on and you spit... :oops:
Who said the following, and when, and where? “I wish some day to make a route and from the summit let fall my spit, and this is where my route will have gone.” Probably also the origin of the “direttissima” concept.

Emilio Comici (one of many great Italian mountaineers)

He probably said it somewhere in the Dolomites, no idea when

By his definition, the Direttissma near Pinkham Notch fails miserably...a trail paralleling a highway climbs hundreds of feet for no apparent reason.

Last edited:
Emilio Comici (one of many great Italian mountaineers)

He probably said it somewhere in the Dolomites, no idea when

By his definition, the Direttissma near Pinkham Notch fails miserably...a trail paralleling a highway climbs hundreds of feet for no apparent reason.
Excellent. There is a Mats Roing thread buried somewhere on this site about his several attempts and at least one completion of the 48 NH4s Direttissima, which also miserably fails Comici’s original concept.

And overlapping the season is the arrival of deer flies and horse flies, not to mention punkies (noseeums) on warm humid nights. For a long time I regularly used a high percentage Deet product along with maintaining near constant daytiem travel movement and a net being necessary only when stopped for rest or at camp.

Several years ago I had an interesting comparison experience when solo paddling along with a friend on an Adirondack lake one time. I was using, probably something with a modern mix of Deet, and was suffering getting eaten alive. But when I paddled over next to my friend it was as if a protective bubble shield surrounded his canoe with no black flies near him at all. He was using "Ole Tyme Woodsman", the original formula, which I remember my father used decades ago. It has a very unique odor to it that permeats the user's environment. Probably similar to what Nessmuk described in his book. I hoarded a bottle of his for years until it was gone. Turns out the original OTW manufacturer sold the company, and the new owner changed the formula due to some environmental concern, resulting in a product that did not work nearly as well. So it went into disfavor and not many people used it or learned of the original value. Later I heard the original formula returned, so I bought some. It does seem to work noticeably better than Deet or other newer products.
All I can say is Thank You! In all my years why have I never discovered this stuff, life may be different now. I don't like smearing stuff on my skin, this is exactly what type of application I have always sought. Current testing very effective.

I sacrificed three goats before heading up on Thursday night. The results? No bugs on the Cannon/Kinsmans on Friday nor any at Ethan Pond/Willey Range on Saturday. Your mileage may vary.

Some good tips here, I hadn't heard of the Ole Time Woodsman, so will check it out. Couple of years ago in mid May, my gf/partner and I were camping and hiking in Maine. The last full day we were there the black flies came out, and it was absolutely miserable. Literally drove us out of the woods and we had to abandon a hike we had hoped to do.

Hi all,

Experienced hiker (and biker) but noob in the Whites and noob on this site. Going to do the Presidential Traverse later this month. Wondering if anyone has any updates on black flies or any other insects I should be aware of. Was hoping not to get a net (or use one for that matter) but DEET and long sleeves/legs are always in my kit.

Thanks and hello!

Hi Stew welcome to VFTT. If you are doing the traditional 4 to 4:30 AM start from Appalachia, its usually cool enough in the AM heading up Valley Way not to have any mosquito issues in the early AM, once you get to Madison Hut you are above treeline for almost all day and there is usually enough of a breeze (or wind ) to drive off any bugs. There is rather rare odd occurrence some years on windfree days, that the bugs, mostly black flies make a last gasp of being annoying immediately in the vicinity of the summits. Not enough for head nets but possible a dab of DEET. For some strange reason Mt Eisenhower has its own micro ecosystem at its summit and there are usually some large fly size insects buzzing the summit cairn, sit 20 feet away and they are not a bother. Depending on your hiking speed and if you are doing the official traverse (Appalalachia to the Highland Center via Crawford) or the AMC option of adding in Jackson and Webster, you could be caught heading down in the woods near sunset. Mosquitoes may greet you on the way down but most folks by then do not care.

BTW, I recommend the 4 AM start with minimal water and tank up at Madison Hut. The ridgeline builds clouds during the day and you have better chance of having a view from Mt Washington the early you get there. BTW if you are not familiar with the maze of trails between Appalachia and the Valley Way its best to familiarize yourself in advance as you will be starting before sunrise with headlamps and its easy to bear right under the power lines and inadvertently heading to Airline (or Kings Ravine if you are directionally challenged) instead of bearing left to head towards Valley Way. Airline adds in elevation that you need to lose to head over to Madison (although using Upper Bruin back to Valley Way cuts that gain down. Keep in mind Mt Washington summit is like quicksand, with the crowds and the lines for everything its easy to burn up an hour. You can refill water at Lake of the Crowds a lot quicker. Note that the Pine link or Daniel Webster Scout Trail start options add time to the hike for most. BTW make sure you have a way of getting back to Appalachia, several folks have assumed they could hitch and at time of the evening its not a sure thing. Some folks have ended up walking back to ther car.

Hey there peakbagger,

Thanks for the advice, all sounds great. We're actually starting later in the day (parking at Highland Center/9am shuttle to Appalachia) and then staying at Madison and Lake of the Clouds. Car will be at the end of the hike but thank you for the thoughtful advice! looking forward to the hike!

Hi Stew welcome to VFTT. If you are doing the traditional 4 to 4:30 AM start from Appalachia, its usually cool enough in the AM heading up Valley Way not to have any mosquito issues in the early AM, once you get to Madison Hut you are above treeline for almost all day and there is usually enough of a breeze (or wind ) to drive off any bugs. There is rather rare odd occurrence some years on windfree days, that the bugs, mostly black flies make a last gasp of being annoying immediately in the vicinity of the summits. Not enough for head nets but possible a dab of DEET. For some strange reason Mt Eisenhower has its own micro ecosystem at its summit and there are usually some large fly size insects buzzing the summit cairn, sit 20 feet away and they are not a bother. Depending on your hiking speed and if you are doing the official traverse (Appalalachia to the Highland Center via Crawford) or the AMC option of adding in Jackson and Webster, you could be caught heading down in the woods near sunset. Mosquitoes may greet you on the way down but most folks by then do not care.

BTW, I recommend the 4 AM start with minimal water and tank up at Madison Hut. The ridgeline builds clouds during the day and you have better chance of having a view from Mt Washington the early you get there. BTW if you are not familiar with the maze of trails between Appalachia and the Valley Way its best to familiarize yourself in advance as you will be starting before sunrise with headlamps and its easy to bear right under the power lines and inadvertently heading to Airline (or Kings Ravine if you are directionally challenged) instead of bearing left to head towards Valley Way. Airline adds in elevation that you need to lose to head over to Madison (although using Upper Bruin back to Valley Way cuts that gain down. Keep in mind Mt Washington summit is like quicksand, with the crowds and the lines for everything its easy to burn up an hour. You can refill water at Lake of the Crowds a lot quicker. Note that the Pine link or Daniel Webster Scout Trail start options add time to the hike for most. BTW make sure you have a way of getting back to Appalachia, several folks have assumed they could hitch and at time of the evening its not a sure thing. Some folks have ended up walking back to ther car.

Okay a hut to hut traverse, the traditional one day presi traverse is coming up in couple of weekends (closest weekend to June 21st).

Hiked and camped all of this past week. Thanks to continuous on/off rain and lower temps, not a single black fly. Only had bothersome mosquitoes yesterday, on UNH Trail, esp the lower flat wet part near the lot. Made you want to run. I tried Picaradin and found it did almost nothing - maybe I didn't apply enough? Then I used my old friend Lemon Eucalyptus and I was left alone.

I tried Picaradin and found it did almost nothing - maybe I didn't apply enough?

I have found that Picaradin does not work for me either. Not sure why that would be but I'm definitely in the minority it would seem.