Blackhead - 01-12-2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob S

Reaction score
As the darkness gave way to a dull, gray, dreary day during the 2.5 hour drive up from north-western NJ, I just assumed that I'd be either hiking in the fog all day, or have no views whatsoever. Wrong! Making my way up 23A, the sun got brighter and brighter, and then suddenly the skies were blue and an enormous expanse of undercast lie in the valley behind me. It was quite a sight, and I tried unsuccessfully to capture it from the parking area for Kaaterskill Falls.

Shortly before the end of Big Hollow Road, a sign advised that the road was not maintained or plowed in the winter. So I parked at the snow plow turn-around despite the signs saying not to park there. Another car was already there, so I gambled that it would be ok.

It’s only a couple hundred yards to the summer parking lot. The sign-in register was missing the log book; not sure if the local Ranger should be advised of this? Anyway, it was pure joy to be snowshoeing again. It’s been quite awhile for me. I had decided to do the loop clockwise in case I had decided to add on Black Dome. This trail definitely had more snow on it than some others based on reports I’ve been reading for this weekend’s exploits, and it only got deeper with elevation. There were many postholes, some deep, but it appeared that most previous climbers donned snowshoes, and some had obviously skied.

The first half of the climb, up to the height of land, was easier than I had expected. I knew there were several steep sections yet to come, but I was happy with the way I felt so far (other than being too warm). Could have hiked in a t-shirt today.

Turning right (south) at the trail junction, the coniferous forest is a little slice of paradise. The first few steep sections were slow going, but no problem. Gaining elevation, it was soon possible to see the undercast to the east. While taking some pics, a couple of friendly guys approached and it was good to see them wearing snowshoes. That being said, the final steep pitches were a bit tricky in snowshoes. I almost switched to crampons with the thought that I could put the shoes back on at the summit. But each steep pitch was relatively short, and with careful footwork, could be safely negotiated.

Another group of 3 guys, also wearing snowshoes, arrived on the summit a few minutes after me. None of us lingered long save a few photo shots. The walk across the summit is very enjoyable and, with all the twists and turns on the trail, feels like walking through a maze.

The viewpoint on the western end of the summit plateau is very nice and offers views of the Devil’s Path, Hunter, Windham, Burnt Knob, and many others. Black Dome looks close enough to touch, and Huntersfield can be seen in the distance. The Burroughs Range is also visible. Having lunch with a view like this - - - I wasn’t in any rush to leave.

The descent was a piece of cake, and even the steeper sections on the way to the col were easily managed. Arriving at the trail junction in the col, a guy was standing there and taking my picture as I approached. It was a bit unnerving at first, but he seemed like a nice enough guy and mentioned he had just brought some friends from out of the country up some Catskill Mountains.

At this point, I decided not to go for Black Dome. Although I still felt great, something just kept telling me not to push it. Not long after beginning the descent from the col, another couple approached, and I assumed these were the guy’s friends. They were wearing microspikes, but didn’t seem to be postholing too much. Perhaps the snow on this trail stays firmer since it’s north facing and away from the direct sun?

The rest of the descent was uneventful, and I saw no one else. Enjoying the ease of going down this easily graded trail, I kinda regretted not climbing Black Dome; I didn’t want this fun to end yet. Sooner than I would have liked, I approached the trail junction and the remaining ¾ of a mile went by very fast. Too fast.

I really enjoyed the day, and I hope the winter returns with lots of snow and cold weather. I’ve always liked winter activities like downhill skiing, ice fishing, and even a bit of snowmobiling in Tahoe. Now this winter hiking thing is really growing on me. I am starting to see why so many hikers start counting the days to winter in the summer!

Rob

PHOTOS