Bold Coast Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onestep

Reaction score
Monday, May 11, 2009
Bold Coast Trail
Topic: Backpacking

The Bold Coast Trail is a 10 mile loop located in Cutler Maine. The trail winds along the Atlantic coast for almost five miles of dramatic cliff-bound hiking. Think Acadia National Park without the crowds!

From the parking area along Rt 191 East of Cutler Maine the trail goes through a spruce-fir forest and crosses a cedar swamp before dramatically reaching the ocean high atop a rocky outcropping. Here the views along the rocky coast of Maine are breathtaking.

The trail then follows the coast for almost 4 miles before reaching three primitive campsites near Fairy Head. Privacy is assured as the sites are spaced approximately a quarter mile apart!

This was my second trip to the Bold Coast. This time I stayed at campsite #2 which is located on a bluff high above the ocean. On a clear day you can see Grand Manan Island out across the Bay of Fundy. I would have no such views today as the weather was mostly overcast with rain threatening.

I no sooner set up my tarp and it started to sprinkle. I retreated into my shelter and spent the next hour or so reading. I dozed off for a bit and when I awoke the shower had stopped.

I spent the rest of the afternoon exploring the tidal zone and taking in the dramatic views.

Around 10pm I was awakened by a thunder storm that would dump over an inch of rain. The flashes of lightning followed by the echoing booms of thunder never got closer than a few seconds apart. I figured I was relativity safe. It certainly was entertaining!

The hike out the next morning was beautifully eerie. Fog had set in and the mist off the ocean was thick. I backtracked along the coast for a mile or so before taking the Black Point Cut-off Trail inland and back to my car.

Blog Post with a few Pic's

K-i envy you spending a night at those great campsites

as mentioned, the view when you reach the ocean from the trailhead is superb, one of the best on the Maine coast..... and the hike south to the campsites is almost equally good...it's a great change of pace from what many of us usually do

i doubt we need worry about "crowds" resulting from these TRs as the driving distance is daunting for most, but for me this is "must hike" if you're in the area

jim