Bonds Traverse 7/3

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Another Friday, another incredibly good day for hiking. This seems to be the weather cycle these days. I hadn't done the Bonds for awhile and a friend had even waited longer for a fix so a Zealand to Lincoln Woods traverse was in the cards. After a casual (for me) 7 AM meet at Lincoln Woods for a car shuttle, we drove up to Zealand and headed out. If was cool out, 43 degrees at my place in Gorham at 6:00 and I expect it was in the fifties at the parking lot at Zealand but we rapidly warmed up.

We made a quick stop at the hut to fill up with their distinctly poor tasting water. I had noticed the same taste at Lakes during a traverse a few weeks earlier so I am starting to think that AMC is adding something to their water supply to maintain a chemical residual in the piping. Its not that the taste is super strong its just not what backcountry water typically tastes and an electrolyte tablet knocks the taste out quickly.

Heading up to Zeacliff we started encountering the first of many folks with backpacks on heading over to Guyot Shelter, after the required spur to Zealand. As usual Zealand was a dreary spot but some Gray Jays helped to give it some color. I expect just the backpackers we encountered would have filled all the spaces at Guyot and considering there is usually a healthy flow from Lincoln I expect the Guyot was beyond capacity early in the afternoon. I did have to be the "bad guy" at Zeacliff, and all the remaining breaks, as the weather and clear blue sky made it tempting to hang out far too long in order to make it out in time before dark.

As usual the summit of Guyot was nice, a bit breezy. We also discussed the rather open ridge top to the East south east of Guyot shelter and wondered the best way to visit it. It looks quite pristine for such a nice exposed stretch of ridgeline. Far to soon for some we headed off the West Bond. We had a few folks who had never been to West Bond and as usual it became a favorite. There were lots of folks with backpacks strung across the Bondcliff ridge heading north. We then headed up to Mt Bond and met Alex who was doing an out and back with an AMC group. I had worn my VFTT.com shirt so we discussed some ancient VFTT history. It was bit surprising that Alex was the only one who even noticed the VFTT shirt in all our encounters over the day . While up on Bond we noticed some odd behavior by one of the local birds. It was the size of Gray Jay but distinctly gray with no white patches, it was quite noisy and had no interest in hiker offerings but was quite agitated going after local flies. It was rare behavior for a Gray Jay but sadly none of our group were bird folks to identify it.

We then headed off to Bondcliff and encountered many more backpackers along the way. We stopped and did the requisite photos at Bondcliff and took a long break. I looked at my watch and decided it was time to head down. The hikers new to this route didn't realize that they were just a bit short of half way. The upper Black Brook crossing was running well. As we descended, we started encountering many tents in the traditional spots along Black Brook. I guess the 200 foot rule is a only suggestion in this area and suspect the NF should just put up designated camp site signs like they have in the Great Gulf and the Dry River. As we approached the former Lincoln Woods trail junction, there were several groups tenting in the woods around the old logging camp. In past days, this area was heavily enforced by the NF but it appears as now that its part of the Bondcliff trail that it gets minimal enforcement.

We then hit the railroad bed and started the long slog out to the parking lot. Everyone was in good shape so we made good time. Our late start meant the last 45 minutes were in the twilight and as we turned over the bridge we heard the booms from fireworks at Loon. We got out just before 9. I had advertised it as a slow and steady hike and given our many long breaks I wasn't unhappy with the time. At the parking lot I went to pull out my headlamp and discovered I had left it at home. Luckily I didn't need it, but definitely a potential screw up on my part. Due to a mistake on my part in the AM, two of us got to ride in the back of a pickup back to Zealand. It was decided breezy and cold but with a warm hat and fleece gloves from my pack, it was tolerable and we got to see some fireworks in Lincoln and some west of RT 3. We got back to Zealand around 9:45.

Hard to beat the day, the destinations and the company. My feet do remind me of the distance the next day but still worth ever bit of it.

...We then headed up to Mt Bond and met Alex who was doing an out and back with an AMC group. I had worn my VFTT.com shirt so we discussed some ancient VFTT history. It was bit surprising that Alex was the only one who even noticed the VFTT shirt in all our encounters over the day . While up on Bond we noticed some odd behavior by one of the local birds. It was the size of Gray Jay but distinctly gray with no white patches, it was quite noisy and had no interest in hiker offerings but was quite agitated going after local flies. It was rare behavior for a Gray Jay but sadly none of our group were bird folks to identify it.

Dennis, it was great to run into your group on our backswing up Bond from Bondcliff -- what a fantastic day on which to share these peaks! You had my group pegged before I personally had even emerged from the trees, and your T-shirt definitely provided the necessary cue had you not done the recognizing first.

On our way down from the Bond summit to visit Bondcliff, I think we saw the same bird. My conclusion is that it was just a mottled/off-color gray jay -- and at least for us, its behavior seemed gray jay-like, though it wasn't one of the couple we hand fed. Maybe it had had a bad experience with people at some past point? Or as you posited, perhaps a completely different species that I'd not yet encountered.

I hope your feet are fully recovered and ready to go at this point, as it's looking as though there's more good weather in store for us this weekend. I'll be leading a 9-day hut traverse for AMC starting tomorrow afternoon, and am hoping that the showery forecasts I see for next week will improve!

Alex

Last edited: